Will SL APO lenses perform the same on Panasonic cameras as they do on SL cameras?

opera207

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys, I'm a sl2-s user, I have two sl apo lenses (35&75m) and a couple of panasonic lenses.

I want to switch my sl2-s to Panasonic S52, which has better video capability (6k open gate, more video tools, flip screen etc.)

But for still photography, will sl apo lenses perform the same on Panasonic cameras as they do on SL cameras? 

Considering  there may not be corresponding correction files on Panasonic cameras,

I learned that the IR-Cut filter on the cmos of the SL cameras may be thinner than other cameras, in order to fit the M lens. etc.

Will these factors cause different performances of SL apo lenses? should I keep sl2-s? 

Have a nice day.

I use my Leica L mount lenses on both my Panasonic S1R and SL2, and the differences are very subtle in the RAW files. The straight in-camera JPEGs are more obviously different, but not in a particularly unaesthetic way. With post processing, I can't generally tell the difference between the two final images from the two cameras.

The autofocus speed is well preserved across the two camera bodies.

I'd keep the SL2s until you try out the Panasonic. I vastly prefer the day to day ergonomics and ease of use of the SL2 vs the S1R. Indeed, in the process of selling the S1R.

1 hour ago, JeffWright said: 1 小时前,JeffWright 说:

I use my Leica L mount lenses on both my Panasonic S1R and SL2, and the differences are very subtle in the RAW files. The straight in-camera JPEGs are more obviously different, but not in a particularly unaesthetic way. With post processing, I can't generally tell the difference between the two final images from the two cameras.
我在松下 S1R 和 SL2 上都使用徕卡 L 卡口镜头,RAW 文件中的差异非常细微。相机内的直接 JPEG 更明显不同,但不是特别不美观。通过后期处理,我通常无法分辨出两台相机的两张最终图像之间的区别。

The autofocus speed is well preserved across the two camera bodies.
两个相机机身的自动对焦速度都得到了很好的保留。

I'd keep the SL2s until you try out the Panasonic. I vastly prefer the day to day ergonomics and ease of use of the SL2 vs the S1R. Indeed, in the process of selling the S1R.
在您试用 Panasonic 之前,我会保留 SL2。与 S1R 相比,我非常喜欢 SL2 的日常人体工程学和易用性。确实,在销售S1R的过程中。

You are right, I should keep sl2s until I figure out how sl apo lenses perform on s52.

They perform superbly. I used the 50mm APO Summicron SL on the S1 for about a year before I got an SL2. I found it as good as on the Leica. The only difference might be very very subtle, but not really the fault of the lens. Leica uses a thinner cover glass on the SL2 than Panasonic does on the S1R, the reason being that they want better support for M lenses. Since the amount of glass in the way of the light path affects sharpness, some eagle eyed users have said that the lenses are slightly sharper on Leica, particularly in the corners (where off axis light has to go through more glass). But these differences should be very very subtle. The APO Summicrons are still going to be the best lenses can you buy to use on the Panasonic cameras.

• Like 1

the sensor covering is different and leica put in extra effor to afapt without loss the M lenses.

I think there different is not big. But if you consider the 35mm SL APO, that most people consider a top lens in performance, look at the DxO marks review on this lens. The reason was becouse they tested the lens on panasonic camera.

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Leica/LEICA-APO-SUMMICRON-SL-35mm-F2-ASPH-mounted-on-Panasonic-Lumix-DC-S1R__1294

I think Panasonic and leica are goging to come out with updated model to implement the new AF system, so look out for new models coming.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

They perform superbly. I used the 50mm APO Summicron SL on the S1 for about a year before I got an SL2. I found it as good as on the Leica. The only difference might be very very subtle, but not really the fault of the lens. Leica uses a thinner cover glass on the SL2 than Panasonic does on the S1R, the reason being that they want better support for M lenses. Since the amount of glass in the way of the light path affects sharpness, some eagle eyed users have said that the lenses are slightly sharper on Leica, particularly in the corners (where off axis light has to go through more glass). But these differences should be very very subtle. The APO Summicrons are still going to be the best lenses can you buy to use on the Panasonic cameras.

I believe you are entirely correct in your assessment. In various tests, such as those published by Sean Reid, he does demonstrate that the Leica SL lenses perform notably better on Leica SL bodies than on Panasonic bodies. At the same time, I know users who use both cameras, who state that in pratice the differences are minimal.

In the press, sometimes the APO-SL lenses receive very good reviews, but not better than the competition. The German "Color Foto" magazine rates the Panasonic S Pro 1.4/50mm above the Leica APO Summicron-SL 2.0/50mm. I don`t think this is correct and I suspect the fact that the test camera was a Panasonic S1R plays a role here. Photoworks also point out above that the good, but not superior performance of the APO Summcron SL 2.0/35mm, in the DXO test, may be due to the test camera again being the Panasonic S1R. 

Edited by Ivar B
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hate to invalidate others’ work, but frankly I have read a lot of stupid reviews over the years…or reviews that seemed like they were subject to botched procedures or unlucky sample variation. 

The only thing I can tell you for sure is that the 50mm APO Summicron I have performed superbly on the Panasonic S1, and on that body was easily the best 50mm lens I had ever used, even using multishot. I am quite a technical photographer and do a number of large prints of my own and other’s work, and I would recommend the APO Summicron SL  lenses to anyone who wanted the sharpest lenses for any L mount camera. All the moreso for the lower resolution 24mp bodies, where, if anything, they are overkill. 

• Like 1

I think differences will show most of all with Leica M lenses and with M wide lenses in particular. Like some models of M 21mm that are very close to the sensor will definitely benefit very much from the optimized sensors in the SL series.

An update:

I borrowed an s5 II from my friend for trial,  I found sl2-s is sharper than s5 II when using the same sl 35 apo lens, both have the same cmos.

I wondered if Leica body had any special optimization for Leica lenses, I decided to compare them by shooting a same scene with the same parameters. I found that when zoomed in to 100%, Leica's raw image is noticeably larger than the s5 II's, suggesting a difference in resolution.

I was confused, then I noticed the raw file size of sl2-s is 40mb, raw size of s5 II is 26mb (most of the DPreview sample pictures are around this size), and then I looked at the raw size taken with the s5 before, about 35mb.

So maybe the raw file of sl2s is uncompressed, raw of s1/s5 is slightly compressed (lossy? I also noticed sl2-s is slightly sharper than s5, but i‘m not sure), and the raw of s5 II is relatively strong lossy compressed?

Edited by opera207
  • Like 1