B+W 486 filters

tedd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi gang,

I took my new \born baby to meet my grandfather the other week and made some photos of him holding her by the window. Upon looking aback at them I noticed some strange red tint coming through his shirt, which I now believe to be IR contamination. It looks like a B+W 486 filter could prevent this from happening again - does anyone here use these on the M240? Do they have any negative effects on the image that would not also be caused by a standard protective filter? 

I'm a 'no lens cap and filter on all the time' kind of guy, so I can live with the small performance hit, but I'm more interested to know if they have any strange quirks of their own.

Thanks!

A picture would help tedd.

If you were using a wide angle lens, and the shirt was on the extreme side of the image, that can be the so called "italian flag" problem.  Can be fixed in post using "flat field" correction. No filter fixes this problem; it's  common in all full frame M digital cameras when using some wide-angle lenses.

It often happens when I use my M240 (M-P).

Edited by david strachan

Sure thing, here's a couple of crops from one image (we don't like to put pictures of her on the Internet!). 

Lens was a 50mm Summilux ASPH and this is right in the centre of the frame for my grandfather and toward the edge for my wife. f4, 200 ISO. 

His shirt was a solid dark blue, and the black shirt that my wife is wearing in the image is doing the same thing.

I'm fairly convinced it is IR contamination from the strong midday sun coming in through the window. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

vor 22 Minuten schrieb tedd:

I'm fairly convinced it is IR contamination from the strong midday sun coming in through the window. 

Yes, there are certain fabrics for clothes which show the IR-caused magenta especially in situations you describe. A UV/IR-Cut filter will help, though I think in most situations for most motives they are not necessary. 

Hi tedd

Not the "italian flag" affect.

Think you and UliWer are correct. Try shooting the same tee shirt in the same light with a UV/IR filter. Sure that test will answer your question.

Just a quick edit...it looks a little like colour noise from overpushing the iso, either through processing or underexposure originally.

My bets with you and Uli though.

Edited by david strachan

I do use the UV/IR filters always with  my M8 and started to use them on my M9 too. The M9 is less sensitive to IR compared to the M8 but it is easier to get natural colors when using them. Other than the usual disadvantages of having a filter like flaring more easily, I never noticed any side effects in the pictures.

The B+W filters do a good job optically, although they have a disadvantage. Because they have a higher rim and are a bit thicker, they often make using the original push on cap impossible. If you have a cap that works on the filter thread of the lens, here is never an issue. Lenses with a  push on sun hood, can have issues too. Leica filters are better suited to use in this case because they have a smaller and thinner rim, and they also can double as series X inserts when you use them backwards on most Series V , VI and VII lenses.

The M240 is less sensitive to IR light but can still take advantage in some cases.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Bought an M8 a couple of weeks ago and the B&W 486 uv/ir cut a week later. 

Unfortunatley I dropped it out walking today and the filter caught the brunt of the fall. Camera seems fine,including RF coupling (fingers crossed), but the lens smashed.

I ordered another straight away (buy used if poss ). The pictures below may show why I replaced it immediately. The left hand side is the correct colour !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!