Leicavit problems with counter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello from germany,

i do have a question to the fellow Leica Leicavit users.

I own a nearly new Leica MP. In fact, it has got a CLA 3 weeks ago.

Since a few days i used my leicavit m. The first portra 400 film was ok, no problems.

On the second one, i noticed a problem. i loaded the camera. then, i usually take 2  photos, and the roll is ready to shoot.

this time, the shutter counter didnt turn from behind (40 to 1,2,3, etc.) it stucks  between 40 and 0. so i dicided to take 10 pictures and try to sneak inside, if the shutter counter is wrong(because the rewind knob was tunrinh ech shot) or, if the film maybe doesnt rewind correctly, which could mean, i dont shoot the film 🙂

so i opened the leicavit, and inside everything was correct, the negativ was on the spool .

So that means, something is wrong with my leica Mp in connecting with my Leicavit. Before that, i shot about 60 rolls film with the original baseplate, without any problems.

Did i´ve done something wrong? does anybody else had the same issues?

On 3/8/2023 at 6:14 AM, FilmSpiel said:

Thank you for your reply.

i checked the small lever, it isnt bent, or sticks.

i try to take another film trough leicavit today and let u know.

it seemed that the counter want to move forward, but couldnt and jumps back instead forward.

Does it work ok without the Leicavit?  If you put the baseplate back on?

Just for information.

Today, i loaded portra800 in my mp with leicavit. And it happened again...i tried to load the camera 6 times. once, the counter worked how it should be. the other attempts it failed and stuck 2 before 0

then, i tried the same operation with the baseplate. same result. die spool worked, but the counter didnt.

im really upset, the camera is here 5000 € and it has been in service a month ago because of this and dust in the viewfinder.

the problem is, how can i be sure, that i photograph on negative, if i doesnt now if the camera works properly? i mean, i dont care about the counter, i m not sure if the spool works properly or not.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, FilmSpiel said:

then, i tried the same operation with the baseplate. same result. die spool worked, but the counter didnt.

The way it is supposed to work is that a little spring loaded nub gets pushed in by the baseplate or Leicavit and that engages the counting mechanism. When the baseplate comes off, the nub comes out and the counter resets. With the baseplate off (and the nub in the outwards position), the counter doesn't engage, even though you can wind the film on and cock the shutter (the counter stays at -2). That seems to be what your camera is doing even with the baseplate/Leicavit on the camera. I would try pushing the little nub in a few times. That might free up the mechanism inside (there might be some fluff or something in there interfering with it).

It is possible that, on your camera, the travel of the little nub (when the baseplate is put on the camera) isn't quite sufficient to always engage the counter mechanism inside the camera. It might be on the edge of tolerance – just enough to cause your intermittent problem. I would try putting a small bit of thick tape inside the baseplate and Leicait where it touches the nub. That will push the nub in slightly more and may be enough to reliably engage the counter. If that doesn't solve the problem, I fear you will have to send the camera in for servicing.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 4:46 AM, FilmSpiel said:

the problem is, how can i be sure, that i photograph on negative, if i doesnt now if the camera works properly? i mean, i dont care about the counter, i m not sure if the spool works properly or not.

If you tension the film after loading with the rewind, the two red dots on the rewind will rotate when the film is being advanced. That will confirm that you are taking images. Furthermore, I also use a Leicavit-M and I've never had any problem with the frame counter but I must admit that I don't pay too much attention to it.

I agree. If the dots on the rewind knob turn as you wind on then your film is engaged and you’re exposing film. The counter is just a useful meter to let you know how much film you have left. In fact, the counter does not confirm that the film is properly loaded and the counter can reach 36 without any film being exposed. How important to you is it for the counter to be accurate? The counter on a Barnack or an M2 can be out of sync if you don’t manually reset with each new film. Some people don’t look at the counter and just shoot until they can’t wind on anymore. I’m just thinking about the months without a camera if you send it in for a service :)