TT Artisan 28mm hot shoe viewfinder finder for MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thought I would try the TT Artisan 28mm hot shoe finder on my MP but without bright lines I find it no better for an eye glass wearer for framing up an image than the camera's viewfinder. For the money it seems well made but doesn't solve my problem. While focusing is not as big an issue for a 28, composing is difficult as I find myself having to roll my shooting eye around the viewfinder to see the lines though I understand even then, what's there may be slightly different from what you get with a rangefinder camera. I welcome comments if you have tried the TT Artisan and recommendations for a 28mm finder short of the $1,000 US for the plastic Leica version. Thanks

The Voigtländer 28mm metal finder is probably worth a try. It has brightlines with some space around them, so eye relief and framing may be better. However, it's now discontinued and getting harder to find.

Edited by Anbaric

59 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

The Voigtländer 28mm metal finder is probably worth a try. It has brightlines with some space around them, so eye relief and framing may be better. However, it's now discontinued and getting harder to find.

I have one and it’s excellent. Finding one for sale is the problem.

8 hours ago, scleake said:

Thought I would try the TT Artisan 28mm hot shoe finder on my MP but without bright lines I find it no better for an eye glass wearer for framing up an image than the camera's viewfinder. For the money it seems well made but doesn't solve my problem. While focusing is not as big an issue for a 28, composing is difficult as I find myself having to roll my shooting eye around the viewfinder to see the lines though I understand even then, what's there may be slightly different from what you get with a rangefinder camera. I welcome comments if you have tried the TT Artisan and recommendations for a 28mm finder short of the $1,000 US for the plastic Leica version. Thanks

As a spectacle wearer I prefer by far the Voigtlander plastic 28mm finder, a big bright view with plenty of space around the edge of the framelines. I also have the plastic Leica 28mm viewfinder and it's not nearly as bright but ok if you find one at a good price. I found a similar problem with a Light Lens Lab 35mm finder that copies the Leica SBLOO, beautifully made but literally gives a 35mm view with nothing around the edge.

Another recommendation here for the Voigtländer 28mm finder. I have a second-hand black metal one with framelines, but as others have said the difficulty now is finding one. Mine came via eBay from a seller in Japan (and the Royal Mail never got round to adding any extra delivery charges).

Alan