An unexpected comparison: Leica SL (Typ 601) - Fujifilm X-Pro2

ThanosPal

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello dear group members, 

as I changed my system lately (got the lovely SL Typ 601), before I sell my Fujifilm equipment, I decided to give a side by side comparison. 

Please forgive the poor outcome - I have never done something similar so far -

so the comparison is between

—Leica SL with Sigma 16-28 f.2.8 (Full Frame)

—Fujifilm XPro2 with Fujinon 10-24 f4 (APSC crop x1.5)

Shot both RAW ISO400 at f8.0

The captures are taken from Lightroom as screenshots.

To keep it unbiased I will not comment anything. I already know what I am seeing.

Here are both at 28mm FF equivalent:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

here at 16mm FF equivalent:

here is a 100% crop of the above:

here at 28mm FF equivalent and with 400% crop:

Edited by ThanosPal
To give clarity
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, tom.w.bn said:

What is your point here? How can this forum help you?

It is just to share a comparison, prior my purchase I had also doubts and was not able to find a comparison between the two cameras. Some might find it helpful! 

Grüße aus Frankfurt 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThanosPal said:

It is just to share a comparison, prior my purchase I had also doubts and was not able to find a comparison between the two cameras. Some might find it helpful! 

What were your doubts?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My first thoughts are exposure is different, SL looks brighter. Color's are different, SL look more yellow/neutral, Fuji looks more magenta. Differences could be partially due to the difference exposures? Was the same shutter speed and white balance used? Fuji looks grainier, but that could be accentuated by the less exposure. Fuji seems to have greater depth of field. SL looks sharper at focus point. I'm guessing that has more to do with the lens then the camera. Then again the color and exposure may be due more to the lens than camera as well.  In the end, both are useable.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Virob said:

My first thoughts are exposure is different, SL looks brighter. Color's are different, SL look more yellow/neutral, Fuji looks more magenta. Differences could be partially due to the difference exposures? Was the same shutter speed and white balance used? Fuji looks grainier, but that could be accentuated by the less exposure. Fuji seems to have greater depth of field. SL looks sharper at focus point. I'm guessing that has more to do with the lens then the camera. Then again the color and exposure may be due more to the lens than camera as well.  In the end, both are useable.

The Fuji has an APS-C sensor (Depth of field). Both cameras are 24Mp and of 2016. The Leica carried a Sigma lens.

Edited by jankap

19 hours ago, ThanosPal said:

If it would worth it. If it would be an upgrade if I am buying an older camera. I know it doesn’t make much sense but, I saw the difference.

Your title says you got unexpected results; can you explain what was surprising to you? 

BTW, I traded my Fuji XT-3 and lenses for an SL2 + 24-70 and have now added a few more lenses. I have had some surprises also, some good some not so good. 

Brad

• Like 2

Am 7.3.2023 um 17:59 schrieb kobra:

Your title says you got unexpected results; can you explain what was surprising to you?

… 

Brad

Wording, Brad, it‘s about wording. The headline says „An unexpected comparison“, which literally means that the comparison itself was unexpected, not the results. So we all fell for the old and nasty wrong leading headline-trick. 😀😉

Why it was unexpected will possibly stay a big mystery, I have some funny theories but leave it with that 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2