M6 scratch-gate: Which cameras are affected?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Regarding the new M6’s, which are said to scratch the negatives/positives, as I understand from debate on the internet:

- Is the problem fixed from Leica’s side?

- Which serials are affected?

- Which cameras with regards to production year(s) and month(s) 20xx/xx are affected?

- Is it ‘safe’ to buy the new M6 produced after a certain production month?

(Sorry if the answers to my questions are to be found within the many posts here in this forum the last months. I have looked there, but I can’t see that all these questions are covered/answered there.)

Edited by BjarniM

1 hour ago, BjarniM said:

Regarding the new M6’s, which are said to scratch the negatives/positives, as I understand from debate on the internet:

- Which cameras with regards to production year(s) and month(s) 20xx/xx are affected?

(Sorry if the answers to my questions are to be found within the many posts here in this forum the last months. I have looked there, but I can’t see that all these questions are covered/answered there.)

Why not ask these questions in an email to Leica and report back?

1 hour ago, BjarniM said:

Nobody here really knows the answers to any of these questions. Even Leica may not know the answers to all of them. All we have are the reports about specific cameras you've probably already seen. A 'bad batch' of pressure plates has been mentioned, but it's unclear how big this batch is, or whether all plates in it are affected, or if it includes all the recent problematic plates. And this is a problem we've seen before from time to time, with earlier reports going back decades - e.g., there was supposedly another bad batch early in the M6 Classic era.