Is the 240 still a good choice to get started with a M?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I noticed on Leica Miami that they have a nice looking condition m240 for $2800 I believe, I’m not sure if this camera is still a good choice and if this is a good price? Anything I should be aware of for the quirks or issues on this particular camera body? My main uses for it would be an everyday carry (literally) for use with anything and everything I come across that catches my eye for a photo

An entirely safe purchase IMO, with all the limitations that would be obvious from its specs. Later cameras have more resolution and better low light performance, and were slightly smaller/lighter, but the M240, with its latest firmware, is a well-behaved workhorse - no recognised fault patterns. And it has the added benefit of video for those occasions when you want a casual clip of the family or something for social media. I owned one happily for a number of years, till selling it because my photographic wants were satisfied by the smaller/lighter/quieter CL and the more technically accomplished SL.

• Like 7

The M240 paired with the M246 are my primary M bodies.  They do everything I need an M to do.  The later models are "better" of course, but not enough to convince me to move to them.  Did I mention battery life? The big batteries in these models are a pleasure to use and I would rather keep them than have the smaller bodies and batteries of the newer models.

• Like 8

As someone who quite recently traded a Q2 for an M240 + 35mm/50mm kit, I can concur that this camera is still quite relevant in 2023. I do not notice a difference between the ~24MP and ~47MP sensors. 

I would recommend trying one out if you can to see if it’s a good fit. If it’s any consolation, I traded mine blindly (ie. no real experience with the M) and have zero regrets. 

being in Canada, I cannot comment on price as the body goes around $4k here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Paul, I got the M 240 three month ago. Paid nearly the same price as you told. I don't regret the purchase for a second!

As a owner of a Leica M8, which I like too (I continue to use it in parallel,

because

- some lenses have a good performance by gropping

- it's so easy to use, by good results

- it's perfect to have a second body

but the M 240 in my opinion is a real upgrade

because

- it doesn't need UV-IR-filters

- full frame sensor

- 24 megapixels

- last but not least:

- it has LV

- you are able to take videos (not in best performance, because the body is not image stabilized), but it works really usefull in my opinion!

Here my only two examples until today - I'm not a 'videofreak' (both videos are freehand recorded and downscaled):

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOFH32EhPDug5gEE-ob0m3tFP-mUaIxQGr84294 

I wish you a good decision!

• Like 4

Thank you so much for the replies. I guess I’ll look closer at the m240 for sale. Is it a camera that can still be serviced if it ever needs it, or am I on my own pretty much? My biggest concern is the RF going out alignment. I really have no experience on calibrating it etc. again, I really appreciate everyone’s insight. I’m also finding that there’s better deals out there than what Leica Miami is selling their m240, so might look elsewhere than what they’re posting 

28 minutes ago, maidenfan84 said:

I’m also finding that there’s better deals out there than what Leica Miami is selling their m240, so might look elsewhere than what they’re posting 

You could likely find better deals; however, Leica Store Miami stands behind their product - in fact, they state that they send used products for CLA if required prior to selling. To that end, the M240 is indeed serviceable, so no need to fret. 

Finally, given that it’s a used product, there’s no rule stating that you can’t negotiate on price, food for thought. 

• Like 2

I've really enjoy my M240 (M-P).

Live view and the ability to use a wide range of non-Leica lenses, especially Nikkor zoom lenses and Nikkor Micro 55mm lenses.  They work very well with the live view electronic viewfinder.

Only thing I find irritating is the so called "Italian Flag" edge colours when using wide angle lenses . Flat Field correction fixes it,  but an irritating extra step.

I enjoy the colours of the DNG files.  Images print superbly on my Epson 3000. Bought new 6 1/2 years ago, and it's now got nearly 10,000 images.

If I'm not using my M-P it's my M8's as another of my favourite cameras.

Good luck with your purchase...don't forget to buy the electronic viewfinder and a spare battery.

• Like 2

I love these threads and videos on for example youtube. Is "Is Leica M8 worth it in 2023?" "Is Leica M11 a good camera for 2025?" etc. Man they take great photos, nothing has changed and nothing will change. If you like the outcome of the photographs, go for it. I have the M-P, it is a great camera. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hjddd said:

I hope Leica can update a new firmware for the series of M240. please raise your hand if you have the same idea 

What kind of updates do you wish for? only thing that I can think about is further expansion of 6-bit coded lenses 

• Like 3

Still a great camera. Apart from the ISO performance there is not much really a difference ito current models if you don’t need the M11 resolution. Also I love the M on the front and think it looks cool/classic. Also my name is Michael, so it’s obviously appreciated 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@maidenfan84  I have had my M-P 240 since 4-2-15 and have made 60,128 images with it.  It has not once given me any trouble. 

I had an M240 for a year before that.  The only issue I had with it was that the buffer would get log jammed if I shot too many images in quick succession - around 8-10.  When that would happen, I would either have to turn the camera off or sometimes remove the battery to clear the jam.  The M240 has a 1 GB buffer; the M-P 240 has a 2 GB buffer which resolved the log jams (for me, at least).  Battery life in the M240 is excellent, provided you are not using live view nonstop.  I have a total of three batteries and one fully charged will usually cover an entire day's worth of shooting (I never use live view, so that helps extend my battery life).

The only real drawback to the M240 and M-P 240 cameras IMHO is the modest maximum ISO of 6400.  I have found that with careful processing in Lightroom, I can get away with using ISO 1600 in most low light environments.  Even at ISO 1600, exhibit quality prints are possible.

Regarding making fine prints, the 240's 24 mp sensor is capable of producing razor sharp 16x24 inch prints; at 24x36 inch print size, there is just a whiff of softness when compared to the 16x24 inch prints.  The 24x36 inch size still has excellent detail and are exhibit worthy.  I have not printed larger than 24x36, but IMO I could go somewhat larger if I wanted to and still have excellent results.

The 240 is not a "quiet" camera compared to my M10M but it is not obnoxiously loud, either.  In a dead quiet environment, people will hear the shutter when you make an exposure.  Normal conversation will pretty well obscure the shutter sound unless you are at arm's length from your subjects.  This is not a major issue IMO.  

IMHO, the M240 is still a viable camera even though it is getting on in years.    These cameras still have a lot of useful life left in them.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

The only real drawback to the M240 and M-P 240 cameras IMHO is the modest maximum ISO of 6400. 

There is an even bigger drawback - green shadows when one opens them up in post, with banding. A well documented issue. The 2013 sensor is also ageing a bit, M10 offers SO.MUCH.MORE. But you have to go through both (and actually use them for more than kids snaps or backyard) to see.
Also, it was the only camera that truly let me down at one point. See the pic attached. I would NOT buy it as a B cam today. In fact, I got the M10-P as a B cam and could not be happier.
YMMV

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown
  • Thanks 1

I have had my 240 since 07/13 and have used it consistently ever since it does what it is designed to do create great files that can be processed to any degree of user requirements. As a working tool it has its own idiosyncrasies like any tool you just need to work wIth In it’s limitations. The 240 and 240P are great cameras , would I upgrade to more dynamic range more megapixels etc no I don’t need them others may as to whether they are still relevant today they are still a great tool and more importantly you can pair them with all the beautiful Leica m lenses as well as 3rd party lenses via adaptors. 

Having bought an M240 in December last year, I thought I may give here my two cents: my first reason for buying a 10 years old (technology) camera was sort of "swim against the flow" - getting tired of MPx race, instant AF with human/mamal/bird/insect - eye detection, bigger and faster f/1.2 lenses and so on (disclaimer: I have just bought a CV35/1.2 III M-mount recently 😲 ). Then I wanted to try the "rangefinder experience". And to simplify the photographic process.

To say now that I am extremely happy with this move would be an exageration (especially after the honey-moon was over). What I can say is that I have sold (or have still for sale) all my Sony lenses and cameras, except for the A7C which I keep as a back-up, only to be used with my M lenses (also kept the Sigma 90mm f2.8 until i willl, eventually, buy a 90mm in M-mount). Meanwhile enjoying the M240 and coming in terms with its shortcomings. Also thinking of upgrading to M-10(P) if only for the better ISO performance and OVF.

As for "Leica cameras are holding their value", that must be true only for analog cameras, my attempts to calculate the upgrading price have showed me that I have already lost few hundreads of euros (buy vs sale price at dealers). So, I would have better went straight for the M10 in the first place (should I have known I would enjoy the "rangefinder experience").

L.E. One thing is for sure: since I bought the M240 I am shooting more, and I enjoy shooting more 😍

Edited by catacore
  • Like 4