Anyone have a S 007 vs s3 image comparison?

ryanlowry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi!

I’ve been an s 007 user for 5-6 years now. Absolutely love the camera and what I get out of it. I work as a portrait / people photographer for editorial and commercial clients. 

Everyone is saying how the s3 has an improved red channel - are there any online comparisons between the two sensors that show this? I haven’t really been able to find much. 

The doubling in sensor resolution actually doesn’t appeal to me much as it seems the 6 micron sensor size is really a sweet spot for digital cameras / lenses. I’ve noticed a lot of smeary texture and aberration with my m11 body and non-apo lenses but would love to see the difference between s 007 and s3. 

🙂

Edited by ryanlowry
  • Like 2

• ryanlowry changed the title to Anyone have a S 007 vs s3 image comparison?

@ryanlowry, I have used both extensively for landscape work.  There I am actually photographing reds on sunrise / sunset.

I will tell you that the resolution is the resolution of the sensor.  With higher resolution, pixel peeping shows more aberrations.  Yet, that is the point, the higher resolution captures more essence of the lenses.  The S lenses have plenty to give and the S3 draws very nicely.  Every camera body I have had, took some time to figure out the best workflow for the sensor (M9 -> M240, S2 > S007 > S3). This is because each sensor is different.

I will tell you I get a better hit rate on color in the S3 and the bayer filter was dramatically redesigned.  The color rendition on the M11 from the M10 is a similar step up.  I prefer to start with less saturation and add my own until I get where I want.  It is easier than the reverse.  The s3 is in no way over saturated and and lends itself well to that process.

I kept my S007, but given a choice, I grab the S3 first.  The extra megapixels are a bonus, but not the primary reason I have the body. It’s the sensor and the color.

I don’t have side by sides comparisons of the same scene, but I’ll see what I can find.

David.

• Like 1

I tested the S3 briefly and loved it. Although I couldn't afford it so bought a brand new 007 for half the price (very lucky as there was only one available in the UK). I shoot dance and need three frames a second. So the S3 is abit too slow for me. Although I imagine I would love it's colours more. 

Using the 007 is excellent for me. Easy workflow shooting tethered to C1. 

• Like 1

I once betatested a S3 and at that time also compared to my own S007. But this was quite some time ago.

At that time my impression was that I could see a slight improved in the S3 for skin and reds, but it was closer that I had imagined, since the S007 has been very good already IMO. So I stayed with S007, but again and again I ask myself if I should not upgrade, given I own all those nice S lenses.

So sorry, I cant help much here. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

I have used both the 007 and S3.

I only shoot landscapes.

The S3 files are just wonderful.

You can sharpen and adjust the heck out of them.

In fact I traded the Hasselblad x1d50c for

this a better camera.

The hassy was lighter and you do have to suffer a bit with the S weight.

But it's all about the sensor and the files.

Mike P

• Like 1

I did not re-export these images, but here are two, one from each. It will be hard to tell the difference at this size.  I use Capture One because the color grading is splendid.  The biggest issue will be a) size of image, but b) the colors out of the S3 require very little adjustment, whereas I spend more time adjusting the s007 files.  I kept my s007 when I got an s3 and use them both, but gravitate to the s3.  The great part is that you can get an s007 for under $5k now in incredible shape. (click to see full size, these don't show well)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is the s007.

This is the S3.

Edited by davidmknoble
  • Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, davidmknoble said:

I did not re-export these images, but here are two, one from each. It will be hard to tell the difference at this size.  I use Capture One because the color grading is splendid.  The biggest issue will be a) size of image, but b) the colors out of the S3 require very little adjustment, whereas I spend more time adjusting the s007 files.  I kept my s007 when I got an s3 and use them both, but gravitate to the s3.  The great part is that you can get an s007 for under $5k now in incredible shape. (click to see full size, these don't show well)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is the s007.

This is the S3.

Terrific!