SL2 Firmware v5.1

5 hours ago, MoWa said:

I try to update my Leica SL2-s with the new firmware 5.1

The camera update, but after update the turn off screen is not showing a Leica symbol.

And the camera is not possible to connect to Leica app.

The menu on the camera is also showing a menu no 7 with a lot of unknown menus 

Hidden menu

Service menu

Reset camara

And so on

these type of menus did not show up when updating my SL2. anyone else have these problems on SL2-S firmware 5.1?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

HOLY MACKEREL!  Does it work?

I have installed FW 5.1 for my SL2-S...
Can I now again install this FW 5.1 for SL2 to have these menus?
Will it harm my SL2-S and can I reinstall the right FW 5.1 for SL2-S?

This looks very interesting... It is probably service menu for the 
Leica technician...

Nikola

1 hour ago, MoWa said:

I had to go trough two reset menus, after that the camera reboot and everything work fine. The service menu is gone.

You should send a Leica Customer Service an email and ask what was that about... 
Than you can tell them that you got some secret informations about the Leica colour science,
lens profiles and sensor operations on this SL2 and that you are not sure what to do with them...
Tell them that the Sony already had made you an offer for this secret info and that is up to Leica what happens next...

I think that they will be thrilled to hear that...

Nikola

• Haha 2

I think I saw a bit of this mystery.  I downloaded a 5.1 firmware file with the extra characters _2.lfu at the end.  It would not load,. and the camera did not recognize it.  I gtried gain to download the updates a few hours later, and got the 5.1 files with no extra funny labelling.  I wish I had thought to try harder and then check for new menu entries.  There is a test interface on all Leica main line cameras, which techs in a store can use.  Occasionally it has slipped out and I have tried it, but not on any current cameras.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2023 at 9:59 PM, LEGEND said:

You should send a Leica Customer Service an email and ask what was that about... 
Than you can tell them that you got some secret informations about the Leica colour science,
lens profiles and sensor operations on this SL2 and that you are not sure what to do with them...
Tell them that the Sony already had made you an offer for this secret info and that is up to Leica what happens next...

I think that they will be thrilled to hear that...

Nikola

Yes, I have reported this and sent pictures of the extra menus to Leica.

• 3 weeks later...

I came on here again because Leica sent an email saying there was a new update (version 5.1) I personally don't need the update since i don't use flash, but i gotta make sure i keep my self updated on how to do this updated stuff even tho i have done it before i forget and i also see some people having issues when is time to update. 

My advice is to download the Leica APP to your cell phone or Pad. 

Make sure you have your camera(s) registered with Leica ( I did it via  https://club.leica-camera.com ) 

The Leica App will let you know when there is a new firmware, and Leica will let you know via email with a link to download via SD card (which by now is the old way of updating that has cause many issues with people when is time to update).  I used to update via SD card before till my card reader wasn't working at all and i wasn't aware that Leica had updated their app that would allow users to update via the app, best idea ever. I don't use the SD card anymore and the camera is always up to date with zero issues.  

For anyone reading this just use the Leica phone app as it makes it easy to download and update. 

• Thanks 1

I updated via the fotos app, but found out there was no option to copy profiles and re-load them afterwards … or I missed that option. I don’t understand why updating firmware resets all menu settings to factory default, I’m used to Fujifilm updates having no impact at all on menu settings.

Random question, anyone else noticing a bit of lag in AFC with Face/Eye detect with the new firmware update? I fully recognize this could just be me and based on my lenses, but I found it to be relatively snappy before this firmware update, able to keep up reasonably well with my 5 year old.  The AF settings/sensitivity remain unchanged between this and prior firmware versions.