Summilux 35mm Pre-ASPH V2 close focus mod

danielcai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, RMF said:

The focus throw from it’s MFD to Infinity is very consistent with the same smoothness, no mushiness whatsoever.

I mean the actual stop at minimum focus distance, at the end of the throw. Does hitting that stop feel the same as hitting the infinity stop? Thanks for checking

48 minutes ago, danielcai said:

I mean the actual stop at minimum focus distance, at the end of the throw. Does hitting that stop feel the same as hitting the infinity stop? Thanks for checking

Yes, it feels exactly the same on at MFD as infinity. 

• Thanks 1

Can I presume that my late German version of this lens focuses down to 0.75m without taking out the tape measure?

Erik

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by egrossman

15 hours ago, egrossman said:

Can I presume that my late German version of this lens focuses down to 0.75m without taking out the tape measure?

Erik

Sadly, no. That's right where my late Canadian (313xxxx) lands as well as a buddies late German (360xxxx) lands. Just to the left of 3ft. We'd need quite a bit of additional of rotation past that 3ft mark to be where the close-focusing lenses are landing. We're probably in the 0.85m area. Without breaking out the ruler, 🙂 .

• Thanks 1

That’s also exactly where my non-goggled v2 transitional, double “Canada” marked, brass infinity lock (2167xx) lands.  Which upsets the idea that closer focus is a feature of these V2 transitional lenses.  Oh well.

Edited by J Peterman
Spelling
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 3/4/2023 at 12:28 AM, grahamc said:

Interesting, thanks .  I have a late Germany copy of this lens that focuses to 0.75 but doesn't differ cosmetically in any way from other copies.

What do you think is the most likely explanation for what 'may' have happened to this lens ?  The lens itself appears in almost brand new condition so it seems unlikely someone has modified it (it just doesn't seem to have had enough use for someone to go to that trouble but I guess we never know).  

Could it be possible some left the factory like that 🤔

Comparing side by side at every aperture with another German copy I can't see any IQ differences at any aperture.  It's a Lens I won't be parting with for a while 

That's awesome! I want this lens! hah

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This thread and Graham's unicorn copy helped inspire me to contact Yuko Steel.  He successfully reduced minimum focusing distance to around 31" (~.79m).  At 31" it front focuses ever so slightly, but from about 31.5" inches onward the patch lines up perfectly.  

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

I recenrly acquired in France a black, transitional 35mm Summilux V2, with built on M3 googles for .65M close focus , and infinity lock (What a mouth full and I did not say Pre Asph.

I have several questions now that I have received it and hoping there are some clear answers out there😊

As serial 22900xx I know it's from1968 and an early V2 from a limited series of 1,000 for the  M3 with the above specs. I am a bit baffled as I thought it should be black paint with the goggles being black over brass. However it has the black and aluminum goggles that normally pair with chrome finish lense.

The inifity stop button edge has a dot of silver coming through on corner in very small area so assume that is not the brass version. The lens body black finish does not look like laquer but is more satin. Is this black paint or very early black chrome?

Also what is the real differences between this early V2 and the steel rim other than rim, hood etc.?..Read about Lanthanum glass as the possible change  but we there new coatings also added or only in later V2s?

Can this lense be used on M2 or M4? They don't need the goggles for viewfinder but can they use the .65m close up ability?

If not flor the goggle issue I would think this would be a best of all worlds lense with benefits over the the steel rim or the later V2?

Deeply appreciate partial or full answers. 

2 hours ago, Tony_P said:

I recenrly acquired in France a black, transitional 35mm Summilux V2, with built on M3 googles for .65M close focus , and infinity lock (What a mouth full and I did not say Pre Asph.

I have several questions now that I have received it and hoping there are some clear answers out there😊

As serial 22900xx I know it's from1968 and an early V2 from a limited series of 1,000 for the  M3 with the above specs. I am a bit baffled as I thought it should be black paint with the goggles being black over brass. However it has the black and aluminum goggles that normally pair with chrome finish lense.

The inifity stop button edge has a dot of silver coming through on corner in very small area so assume that is not the brass version. The lens body black finish does not look like laquer but is more satin. Is this black paint or very early black chrome?

Also what is the real differences between this early V2 and the steel rim other than rim, hood etc.?..Read about Lanthanum glass as the possible change  but we there new coatings also added or only in later V2s?

Can this lense be used on M2 or M4? They don't need the goggles for viewfinder but can they use the .65m close up ability?

If not flor the goggle issue I would think this would be a best of all worlds lense with benefits over the the steel rim or the later V2?

Deeply appreciate partial or full answers.

Enjoy your lens !

I  had a similar lens from the same 229 batch, same as yours but with a brass infinity lock button.

To answer your questions, the Steel Rim v1 Summilux pre asph had different glass than the later v2 . A few early lenses of the first 216 v2 batch had v1 glass.

There was a mix of brass and aluminum infinity lock buttons among the early v2 versions .

Your lens is fully legit IMHO.

It is meant to be used only with the goggles fitted , removing them will affect with the RF coupling.

Your lens was meant to be used on a M3  yet it can be used on any M camera, it might bring the 50mm window  frame on  M2 and M4 bodies.

Cheers, JM.