Survey: Third-party Lenses for Leica M-mount

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have no third party lenses so far and thought that the lens contributes (besides other factors, editing etc) to the final photo and to the „Leica Look“ (if this exists).

I always assumed the lens is more relevant than the sensor for a certain style.

What Do you think? How much does the camera body influence the picture vs the sensor?

4 minutes ago, Rokkor said:

I always assumed the lens is more relevant than the sensor for a certain style.
What Do you think? How much does the camera body influence the picture vs the sensor?

Depends on the sensor. BSI sensors like that of the M11 are less prone to color shift so issues like Italian flag are less visible if any on them. Here M11 and M240 with S-A 21/3.4.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Conventional manual macro lenses change aperture as they are focused closer, so that an f/2.8 lens becomes f/5.6 at 1:1 wide open. So the 90mm/4 Macro Elmar would be an f/8 lens wide open at 1:1 (if you could add extension tubes to make it go that far). So if you wanted use it to digitize negatives to an M11, you would be diffraction limited in the resolution you could obtain. An f/2 macro lens would be f/4 max aperture, which would allow you to focus at f/2 stop down to f/2.8 (effective aperture f/5.6 for higher resolution capture. That might be overkill. But the Zeiss Macro Planar 50mm/2 is not good for that application because it has too much field curvature. Stopping down enough to minimize the effect of the field curvature with the Makro Planar takes f/8, and  that's f/16 effective aperture. So it's not capable of good results for duping. Right now I use my Nikon D850 and a 60mm/2.8g Micro Nikkor for duping, and it's pretty good. I guess the difference in resolution versus a similar lens on the M11 would probably not be worth the bother. But I still kind of want this M- mount Macro lens that does not exist...

On 3/3/2023 at 1:32 PM, Cobram said:

I'm personally very happy with Leica lenses and currently don't own any other manufacturer's products, but use to own Cosina and Zeiss in the past.

What I really miss is a camera like Ricoh GR. Light, small, with sharp (Elmarit) lens... for my hiking and cycling trips.

Yes I agree.  The size of the the Ricoh GXR with Leica lenses continues to be a joy.  So small.  So easy to use.  Why Leica gave up that format beats me.  Long live the Ricoh with Leica glass.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2023 at 7:42 PM, logan2z said:

I recently started thinking about adding another 35mm lens to my kit to use on my M2 and my first thought was to buy the latest Summicron ASPH.

I had exactly the same thought, discovered the same issue of cost and opted for a TTArtisan-M 1.4/35 ASPH.  No regrets so far and no issue with rangefinder focusing (the TTArtisan can be adjusted if necessary) on either M2 or M9.