LEICA Elmarit-R 28mm f2.8 Focus Tab

hirohhhh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would agree that you are expecting an R lens to have the haptics and functionality of an M lens on an M camera. Keep in mind that the R goes back to the early 60's, and the two lines were never intended to mix and match escept in very rare circumstances like the Telyts. Come to think of it, I am not aware of any reflex lens that has focus tabs on it. Only lenses used on rangefinder cameras have tabs.

I think the tabs were put on the M system because the lenses were so much smaller (in diameter).  The tabs allowed one to easily reach in and adjust focus with a finger, rather than covering up the rangefinder window. 

The R system, being an SLR, meant you were looking through the lens, the barrels were much wider and easier to turn with your hand, which never blocked the view.

Hope you find something that works for you!

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 2:16 PM, hirohhhh said:

Well, I just found that out now. I purchased the lens because of the ability to focus close, and the price was fair. But at the moment of purchase I really didn't even think if it has focus tab or not. At the same time I was added to the wait list for the Summilux-M 35 f/1.4 ASPH, which focuses up to 0.4m, in my local Leica Store, but to this day, they never called me. I guess that the list is quite long.

Be careful. If you expect to have RF focusing in the 0,4 to 0,7m range you will be disapointed. The M rangefinder was never designed to work closer than 0,7m. Only special optional goggles will allow that. Only a few lenses like the 50mm DR have that (and the DR can not be used on a digital M). The Macro Elmar 90 macro adapter v1 is probably the only one that works for digital M's with use of the RF. v2 has to be used with LV or EVF.

If you want to do close up work, LV/EVF is always necessary on the M to focus:

1. Focus patch will not work in this range
  2. Frame will not be accurate enough at these distances.

If you want to shoot this close it often makes sense to use an other body. Plenty of mirrorless options around. The Leica SL series is one of the best and can use your M  lenses better than most (other than the M series which is best of course).

It will also use the 28mm Elmarit R as it was designed.

All you need is a simple adapter M-L and R-L (or R-M and stack them and you already have one). I can recommend the URTH adapters, well build and reasonably priced...

Edited by dpitt

20 hours ago, dpitt said:

If you want to do close up work, LV/EVF is always necessary on the M to focus:

It's not that I have any close up work in mind, I just wanted a bit more versatility. I have some amazing photos that I made with my phone or a cheap Fuji X100F that are just a bit more closer than any of my Leicas can get, and therefore these photos would be impossible to make on my Leica gear. And if they are 0.7m far-off, they wouldn't be the same photos anymore.

20 hours ago, dpitt said:

If you want to shoot this close it often makes sense to use an other body. Plenty of mirrorless options around. The Leica SL series is one of the best and can use your M  lenses better than most (other than the M series which is best of course).

It will also use the 28mm Elmarit R as it was designed.

All you need is a simple adapter M-L and R-L (or R-M and stack them and you already have one). I can recommend the URTH adapters, well build and reasonably priced...

I have an SL2 body and all these adaptors you mentioned (well built but unreasonably priced), I'll give it a try! But my SL2 is attached to the copy stand for the past two years and I use it exclusively for scanning my negatives. It's not the camera that I'll pick up and go out and shoot anymore. I used to, but since I switched to smaller cameras, I became lazy I guess. But I'll give a try to Elmarit R on SL2 body using R-L adapter, just out of the curiosity.

Thanks for the tip!

Edited by hirohhhh

• 3 weeks later...

if you decided SL-2S route, just to consider, some of the adapters have an extra focus ring which allows to focus closer all lenses. these are L-M.  of course with R lenses you already can do that so can simply have L-R.

I know you wish to use M, but M is small, portable, light. R lenses are huge and in my opinion not the best match. from a size viewpoint (like noctilux, a wonderful lens, but colossal).

Maybe try the small MS lenses, or 35/28/50 summicron series from the 90s. those have tab and are quite affordable (in leica terms). all within M form factor.

G

12 hours ago, geotrupede said:

if you decided SL-2S route, just to consider, some of the adapters have an extra focus ring which allows to focus closer all lenses. these are L-M.  of course with R lenses you already can do that so can simply have L-R.

I know you wish to use M, but M is small, portable, light. R lenses are huge and in my opinion not the best match. from a size viewpoint (like noctilux, a wonderful lens, but colossal).

Maybe try the small MS lenses, or 35/28/50 summicron series from the 90s. those have tab and are quite affordable (in leica terms). all within M form factor.

G

I put my old Fuji X100F in use again and I focus close all the time, to make it up for all those years I couldn't get close with my Leicas :)