Best jpeg settings for M11 and iDR

Shavou

On 3/4/2023 at 10:03 PM, Cattoo said:

What's to remember?  It's a photo in the public domain.  I referenced the source per the forum rules.  

Told ya! 😁

Just post the link… @jaapv this is okay right? It’s a Link to the magnum tweet with the photo in it  

Edited by Leitz.

On 3/2/2023 at 8:14 PM, DadDadDaddyo said:

So many variables we don't know here!

Not least of which: how are the images that are being judged here for color balance, dynamic range, etc., bring viewed? On the screen on the back of the camera? On a laptop? With what display settings? On a monitor running off a desktop or a laptop? Again, with what display settings? Under what conditions?

It's a rare monitor that is capable of reproducing the dynamic range the sensor is capable of capturing (and that's before we begin to consider exposure). So, how are the settings on the monitor dealing with that limited dynamic range? To preserve highlights and crush blacks, or to stretch blacks and let highlights blow out where they will? What Gamma settings? Color space? Light level in the viewing room? Change a couple of these things at the same time and it's easy to have no idea what's what anymore. Calibration is a process of compromises and judgement calls that depend upon working conditions and on intended mode of output. And calibration really matters. 

Just as a suggestion, and of course one's mileage may vary: it's perhaps best to come to terms with the degree of matching between the screen on the back of the camera and the monitor being used to judge these things before diving into the jpg settings...

This. There is no best - there is only what you prefer.  Since you shoot professionally, I’m sure you’re adept at getting the results out your cameras, as I, and others, are. My JPEGs are brilliant but my preferences, and settings, won’t be yours.  The process is pretty simple,  shoot well-lit samples, examine the JPEGs, adjust and repeat - until you get the results you desire.  I go through this with every new camera/lens combination I have.  For the record, what lens are you calibrating your camera with?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/3/2023 at 9:58 AM, Shavou said:

Done with what ? Horrible picture quality 🤦‍♂️

As a professional, how do you normally adjust to a new camera?  Are you new to Leica? Every lens will impart its own color to your results. I’ve never had “horrible” image quality with any camera, let alone my Leica.  Straight out-of-camera my Leica images are great and once I set my preferences, my JPEGS can be used out-of-camera with brilliant results. What are you shooting and with what lighting? As mentioned previously, show your horrible results and maybe someone will have an easier time making suggestions.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Not sure if relevant as I’ve been using SL2 S but I found the vivid jpeg with +2 contrast and saturation perfect for my travel photos on a recent holiday in Annecy

I shot pairs but haven’t felt the need to sub in a raw at all 

Out of interest I did tweak a few to see how much better could get the raw and I could I suppose but just didn’t think it worth the effort tbh