Best jpeg settings for M11 and iDR

Shavou

1 hour ago, Shavou said:

Done with what ? Horrible picture quality 🤦‍♂️

Don’t know what you mean. Pressing auto is a start. Then you can tweak it. You can just do it in the photos app. This photo for example, I just pressed auto on the photos app from the raw. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

and this is what the original raw looks like without edits 

I try to get it right in camera as much as possible so my editing takes no more than a couple of minutes. 

I mean you’re wanting to shoot a JPEG from the camera. Complaining about just hitting “auto” as a start is sort of bizarre. But okay. 

Just always shoot RAW. personally I don’t get the point of in camera JPEGS unless the camera had outstanding B&W JPEGS like my M10R. 

Edited by Leitz.

1 minute ago, Leitz. said:

Don’t know what you mean. Pressing auto is a start. Then you can tweak it. You can just do it in the photos app. This photo for example, I just pressed auto on the photos app from the raw. 

and this is what the original raw looks like without edits 

I try to get it right in camera as much as possible so my editing takes no more than a couple of minutes. 

What photos app are you talking about ?

Leica Fotos?

8 minutes ago, Shavou said:

What photos app are you talking about ?

Leica Fotos?

No I mean just the photos app when you put the raw in your camera roll. it has all the basic settings. It’s actually quite subtle but then it gives you more control to tweak it. For a quick edit it’s great IMO. Just to post on social media. 

Personally I use Pixelmator Photo on the iPad to edit. And very rarely I need to mask things to expose things separately and in that case I have to open camera Raw in the computer. But that’s rare. 

The only JPEGS I use are B&W because i Like from out of camera. But I stopped doing that too. I don’t bother with JPEGs. Sometimes I just export the raw as a JPEG without doing anything to it and I’m done with the edit. 

Edited by Leitz.

Reminds me of this photo I took the other day. 

I just wanted it a little more brightness for social media so I just ended up hitting AUTO on the camera roll and I posted it like this. 

But that’s the M10R. Maybe the M11 Raws aren’t that different from mine. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, jaapv said:

For mobile use I prefer Snapseed. But it is all about the same

Oh yes. I use this all the time. And useful to post pictures here to export and resize. 

To my surprise the iPhone/iPad Photos AUTO is more subtle and nice than the AUTO on Lightroom. Lightroom always takes my photos and flattens them out. It lifts the shadows way too much and lowers the highlights way too much. I guess AUTO in Lightroom is only as a starting point to even everything out and then you can start the edit. 

Edited by Leitz.

Exactly. In Lightroom/ACR on cameras with a wide dynamic range the flattening is a result of Auto attempting as full a representation of the DR as possible. The user can make his own choices later on.

Or, as I said, use the Dehaze slider to increase punch quick and dirty. The same group of controls has Clarity, Vibrance and Saturation to make it as poppy as you like.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Leitz. said:

Oh yes. I use this all the time. And useful to post pictures here to export and resize. 

To my surprise the iPhone/iPad Photos AUTO is more subtle and nice than the AUTO on Lightroom. Lightroom always takes my photos and flattens them out. It lifts the shadows way too much and lowers the highlights way too much. I guess AUTO in Lightroom is only as a starting point to even everything out and then you can start the edit. 

Adobe’s Auto uses AI to analyze the image and compute useful changes. The algorithm is trained with edits from professional photographers, e.g., Jeff Schewe.

I have found it to be rather discrete with changes most of the times.

I wonder why others are seeing the flattening. When using a linear profile, which flattens the image, Auto always increases contrast and saturation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Because everybody "reads" a photograph his/her own way.

It would be nice if somebody would share images demonstrating how Auto Tone button creates images with “HDR look.”

It could be that it occurs only with certain profiles or outdated tools.

Also, I am looking only at raw files, no JPEG sources.

The lesson to be learnt is that no "Auto" can replace skilled human input. It can make life more comfortable, sure, especially for the lazy amongst us (guilty as charged, M'Lud) but not even AI can equal knowledge and skill. I'll happily take on any automatic gearbox car using a stick shift :lol: 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jaapv said:

The lesson to be learnt is that no "Auto" can replace skilled human input. It can make life more comfortable, sure, especially for the lazy amongst us (guilty as charged, M'Lud) but not even AI can equal knowledge and skill. I'll happily take on any automatic gearbox car using a stick shift :lol: 

Agree 100%. I never use Auto Tone as final edit (unless I do not intend to use the image), and most often I revert Auto and start with all sliders cleared. However, Auto Tone should be useful for those without time or skills.

Now that we are using car analogy, we can probably wrap up the discussion 😂, though I will continue looking when Auto Tone may generate abysmal results.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cattoo said:

What's to remember?  It's a photo in the public domain.  I referenced the source per the forum rules.  

That photo is not in public domain. It stands in Magnum shop:

This print is for personal use only, intended for display in the home or other private spaces. For all other purposes, such as display in public spaces or institutions, publishing the image online or in print, or any other form of usage, permission must be granted by Magnum Photos.

https://www.magnumphotos.com/shop/collections/darkroom-prints/darkroom-prints-andy-warhol-edie-sedgwick-and-chuck-wein-new-york-1965/?utm_source=Audience&utm_campaign=28e4664b29-SHOP_EMAIL_280223_DRP-LAUNCH&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_237144cbf5-28e4664b29-7444632&mc_cid=28e4664b29&mc_eid=be00d3d4ab

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Cattoo said:

The link you posted is for the PRINT.  

This print is for personal use only...

It's on social media where you can share and repost without limit.  If that doesn't qualify as public domain I don't know what does.  Here's the link.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpNdjR6stSI/

It says that publishing the image online is not OK. When in doubt, do not share the image but the link instead.

1 hour ago, Cattoo said:

The link you posted is for the PRINT.  

This print is for personal use only...

It's on social media where you can share and repost without limit.  If that doesn't qualify as public domain I don't know what does.  Here's the link.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpNdjR6stSI/

This is copyrighted material You are not allowed to post it on this forum. Whatever happens on Instagram is not our concern. It does not qualify as public domain. Try the Library of Congress.

• Like 1