Leica M11 Firmware 1.6.1 is available

SrMi

Installed, after saving profiles (twice).  Didn't bother to test date and time, forgot to reinstall profiles, but date and time were OK, profiles unchanged.  settings like the first letter of each frame number and the copyright info came up unchanged.  Those are long-standing problems which seem to be safely behind us now.

I shot 30 frames in a minute, using auto ISO and exposure fixed at 1/4f, moving around he office to different views.  All changes occurred only in the ISO.  No overexposures.  Then I did another thirty, with smaller f-stop, exposure limit at 1/6 second, auto ISO.  Differences between frames were seen in both ISO and shutter speed.  Again no overexposures.

That's very good news.  No freezes, although those have been rare, and I'll wait to close the book on that one.  I see that Leica only promises that some causes of freeze have been worked on.  They know that list is endless.

(card:  I'm using SanDisk 300 MB/S Extreme Pro V90 UHS-2)  I hope someone with a much slower card will also check.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Harout62 said:

Great , all good, love my M11, best digital M ever, now bring on the M11p Black paint so I can spend more money. My GAS is out of control.

I would love that, but we're probably going to have to get in line behind the Mono, -P, -D, Safari, and Reporter (etc.) versions 🙃

On 3/3/2023 at 3:13 PM, Harout62 said:

M11, best digital M ever,

Agree. I've never understood those that sold their M11's for M10-R...

I upgraded from an M10-R and never looked back. Biggest critique for the M11 is that the improvements over M10-R were not great enough to warrant the cost of upgrade.

6 minutes ago, SoarFM said:

Agree. I've never understood those that sold their M11's for M10-R...

I upgraded from an M10-R and never looked back. Biggest critique for the M11 is that the improvements over M10-R were not great enough to warrant the cost of upgrade.

I have been using digital M cameras since the M9. Almost daily the M11 was the biggest leap ever and it is nearly a perfect.  The only conceivable upgrade they can make to the platform would be IBIS. Lot of people talk about EVF. Only but that would be horrible, just yesterday I was shooting outdoors with my SL2 in bright sunlight out in the snow and I could not see a thing. I had to switch to the M11 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Harout62 said:

I have been using digital M cameras since the M9. Almost daily the M11 was the biggest leap ever and it is nearly a perfect.  The only conceivable upgrade they can make to the platform would be IBIS. Lot of people talk about EVF. Only but that would be horrible, just yesterday I was shooting outdoors with my SL2 in bright sunlight out in the snow and I could not see a thing. I had to switch to the M11 

Agree. The Visoflex 2 is there to step in for the times a EVF is needed and IBIS is the only thing I can think of that would improve the experience. Or self cleaning glass for every time I leave a finger print on the VF glass that blurs the vision 🙄 maybe I need thin all year around gloves 😀

55 minutes ago, jakontil said:

i have the m11 and im still keeping my m10 r, but it's in black paint and im obsessed.. both are quite capable, but no denying if i have the plain vanilla m10r be it silver or black chrome, it would be easier to part with 😆

me too, I have both m11 and m10-r black paint.

I struggled a lot and decided to keep both, even though m11 sometimes froze up (with 1.6.1 firmware) I enjoyed it more than m10-r.

m10-r black paint is mainly for the aesthetical look.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ELAN said:

So I’ve just completed two full days of intense shooting with firmware 1.6.1. 1650 frames on a single battery. No freezes. No overexposure. Gotta love it. 

You can take 1650 pictures on a single battery? That's impressive. Maybe you don't playback the pictures and/or play around with lcd too much?

I usually get about 800 shots on a fully charged battery. I do view the pictures from time to time, that's where I got most of the freeze-up from, even with firmware 1.6.1

I have so far got about 2-3 freeze-up with the latest firmware, all of them occurred when I played with the buttons. Sometimes I fidget the buttons too quickly and the screen went to dark and buttons are unresponsive. A battery pull solved the issue.

I knew I said before that I need to take it slow. But I am just inherently impatient. :D

Edited by Warton

4 minutes ago, Mikko Kankainen said:

I got a freeze 2 days ago with this newest firmware.

Froze when reviewing image, cannot take a shot, cannot shutdown, only playback menu works, so not frozen but had to take the battery out to continue shooting. Here's a video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/acjwwbacwdmoy3y/IMG_0014.mov?dl=0

Send the video to Leica!!

• Like 1