The Perfect Digital Rangefinder

Chris W

Just an example with M240 and CV 21/4 FWIW.
M240 profile:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

R-D1 profile:

M240profile -10 yellow brightness:

I shot some M240 last summer and I was happy with the look. It is often dull and great here in winter and that seems to have emphasised the overly warm colour profile and I find the bluer more realistic.

Anyway.....back to my point.

Both the RD-1s and Sigma FP look great out of camera using CO's profiles, whatever lenses I've used. It's only the M240 which doesn't look right to me.

Many will disagree but I find the M9 to be my perfect digital rangefinder. I use image SOOC whether in the South of France, SW England or the Outer Hebrides. Without wanting to go into the whole CCD vs CMOS debate maybe having a same technology sensor will give images more like the Epson. If you don’t need LV, videos or incredibly high ISO, it may be worth having a look.

That’s a common worry of course, no electronic camera whatever age is 100% safe from malfunctions, even the newest Leicas as far as I can tell. That being said I’ve been using my M9 since 2009 and I honestly see no reason why it won’t still be perfectly functioning in 2029 and beyond. Or it could fail tomorrow, just like any M11. I have electronic instruments that were built in the early 70s which still work perfectly.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's an issue when people stop repairing them, often because of components that are no longer available. None of which can be said of the M11, or M10, Q etc...

I have some rare synthesisers from the early 70's. There is a vintage synth tech expert in my local town who has so far managed to fix all my issues over the years. A friend of mine doesn't have anyone that could repair his vintage synths, so he sold them all and only uses currently available gear. If my local guy retired I would sell my rare synths.