Buy q2 now or wait q3?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, I know this question has been asked before, but I am really struggling to make up my mind and would like to know what you guys think...

I know there are rumours that the q3 will be released this year. When do you think it will become obtainable for consumers and do you think it is worth the wait? 

Thank you in advance. :)

If the sales volume is at a consistent level, why replace the Q2? You typically only replace the model if sales are dipping or to pre empt a rival’s launch of their updated model.
If I were Leica I would sit tight on the Q3 and instead address with some urgency the very outdated SL2.

The simple solution is buy a used Q2 and if the Q3 has features you really want then you sell the Q2

If you waited that long I would wait a little longer (I say this without without knowing anything about the Q3) - at least if you have other camera for the moment.

if not, I would say the advice for a used q2 is a good suggestion.

Nobody knows when the Q3 will be available in larger numbers (I bet even Leica doesn't know ;) ).

Edited by tom0511

Wait for the Q11. The M11 is so much more advanced than the M2 and I think we will see similar advancements here.

Or, realise that you could die tomorrow and have never had the camera of your dreams.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

The Q2 is an awfully good camera. 

The main upgrade in the Q3 if I am guessing correctly will be a sensor with more megapixels.  Seeing as how the Q2 has 47mp to begin with, why would a person actually need more than 47 megapixels?? 

Another path might be to wait for the Q3 to appear and pick up a used Q2 at a very good price.  Or you could say screw it and buy a Q2 now.  You could be enjoying your Q2 every day rather than waiting for the pie in the sky Q3 to drop to earth.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Bell said:

Hi all, I know this question has been asked before, but I am really struggling to make up my mind and would like to know what you guys think...

I know there are rumours that the q3 will be released this year. When do you think it will become obtainable for consumers and do you think it is worth the wait? 

Thank you in advance. :)

Buying a used Q2 is good advice. Waiting for a Leica release can be a very long game. If you want to play it cheaper, buy a used Q now and when the Q3 is released you can compare features of Q2 and Q3 and decide which one you want. In the mean time you enjoy a very good camera like the Q.

The Q might lose a bit of value when the Q3 is out but it is now very close to the point of increasing in value rather than losing value. If you think digital camera's only lose value, look at Digilux2, M8, M9...

The Q2 other than AF, offers me little that my M10-R with with a 28 Summicron or 35 APO Summicron already does or as a lighter alternative, my CL with the 18mm pancake lens (28mm EFOV) or the 11-23 SVE. A 60/65 MP Q3 would be an excellent single travel camera, as with the high MP sensor it would offer more flexible cropping than the Q2 currently does and we know how good the 28/1.7 Summicron lens is. What I would have really liked is a 40MP CL2 as a replacement (and hopefully more reliable) travel camera and to utilise all my L/T mount lenses but as we know, Leica has dropped us APS-C owners in the poo. I am more of a wide angle user anyway and quite often use my M10-R with a 21-35 Vario-Elmar-R on an R to M adapter but this combo is on the heavy side. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Haha, 10 people, 10 opinions.

One comment, IMO the Q series with its fixed 28mm lens is one of the cameras that gains most from more MP. Why? When I had mine I regulary also wanted to use the 35 and 50mm crop mode. So even if you dont need high MP of 28mm shots, it helps a lot when using crop modes. Different with the M, where you can switch lenses. On the other side Q2 has plenty MP allready.

• Like 2

"why would a person actually need more than 47 megapixels?? "

II remember when people asked, "Why would you need more than 8 Megapixels?" and then "Why would you need more than 12 megapixels and then, "Why would you need more than 16 megapixels" and then "Why would you need more than 24 megapixels," and now, why would you need more than 47 megapixels?"  

The answer to the most recent is, "because now we can have 60!   

As Sonny and Cher pointed out, "The Beat Goes On." ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Personally at this stage in the cycle I'd go for a used mint Q2 if you want a camera now as most serious comments seem to indicate that the Q3 will arrive by the end of the year or June at the earliest. Knowing this I've personally sold my Q2 Reporter and Q2M now for good prices whilst they're still high, given all the YouTube buzz at the moment. I have other Leica's to use in the meantime plus my GR3 as pocket sized Q2, albeit without the top end image quality and feel.

For me I'm looking forward to a) a better EVF b) the M11 60mb sensor as the 47mb version in my view is Leica's worst performing at higher ISO's c) hopefully PDAF. These seem reasonably good bets and maybe a flip out screen like the X100v as an an outlier to those.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikep996 said:

"why would a person actually need more than 47 megapixels?? "

II remember when people asked, "Why would you need more than 8 Megapixels?" and then "Why would you need more than 12 megapixels and then, "Why would you need more than 16 megapixels" and then "Why would you need more than 24 megapixels," and now, why would you need more than 47 megapixels?"  

The answer to the most recent is, "because now we can have 60!   

As Sonny and Cher pointed out, "The Beat Goes On." ;)

We still don’t need all those megapixels. The camera makers, however, need to sell…🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1