Film Shortage

lmans

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am down in Melbourne..... went into the Leica store, Ted's camera's downtown and some other digital camera shop nearby. Ted's had no film what-so-ever as they said supply of was making it hard to come by. The Leica store only had some BW Ilford 5 for $21 Australian dollars (Compared to B&H in the states for 8.99 US dollars. The other digital camera store surprising had some Cine800 film for $40 Australian. 

Not only is there no film to be had, but the prices they had...wow.... 

2 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Bet you can’t get Rollei CrossBird in 35mm, or any colour film at a sensible price.

Rollei Crossbred I have never heard of, but I agree it appears to be out of stock when I look. Esoteric film may be difficult but certainly there is no film shortage. I have certainly purchased Ilford and Fomapan with no problem in the last couple of weeks. As for colour at a sensible price it depends on your definition of sensible. 

Gerry

Edited by gwpics
spelling

3 minutes ago, gwpics said:

Rollei Crossbred I have never heard of, but I agree it appears to be out of stock when I look. Esoteric film may be difficult but certainly there is no film shortage. I have certainly purchased Ilford an Fomapan with no problem in the last couple of weeks. As for colour at a sensible price it depends on your definition of sensible. 

Gerry

I stopped buying colour when it topped £6. The 7 day shop regularly had stock, but ceased when the price of Kodak and Fuji went ballistic. I have enough in the fridge, so I’m ok. As for the esoteric Crossbird, at the last count I think I have 10 rolls. Again that’s enough.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/1/2023 at 11:22 AM, gwpics said:

I am pretty sure this must be a local issue as I have had no trouble buying whatever I have wanted here in the UK.

Gerry

No trouble with B&W, but basic colour films like Fuji Superia are hard to find or sold at ripoff prices.

2 hours ago, Anbaric said:

No trouble with B&W, but basic colour films like Fuji Superia are hard to find or sold at ripoff prices.

I must confess that I had no idea how the price of colour negative film has rocketed. Fortunately I have not used any for many years, and don't intend to.

Gerry

• Like 1

The chemicals....the chemicals....the chemicals..... Plus the idea that I believe all manufacturers and stores have almost a carte-blanch to raise prices and everyone expects it.

"""""Raise the price...go ahead, ...everyone knows it, so we can, so let's do it. Now, do we double the price or perhaps double and lessen the actual film length (even an inch less will turn into millions profit over the course of XXX sold film cartridges) so we save ourselves additional pennies etc... """"""

On 3/2/2023 at 10:18 PM, lmans said:

The chemicals....the chemicals....the chemicals..... Plus the idea that I believe all manufacturers and stores have almost a carte-blanch to raise prices and everyone expects it.

"""""Raise the price...go ahead, ...everyone knows it, so we can, so let's do it. Now, do we double the price or perhaps double and lessen the actual film length (even an inch less will turn into millions profit over the course of XXX sold film cartridges) so we save ourselves additional pennies etc... """"""

Of course all .... have carte-blanch to raise prices. It is called a market economy, and it is what we live in. Here in the UK food prices have increased by 17% over a very short period of time because supermarkets know we have to eat. It is the law of supply and demand.

Gerry

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 12:23 PM, gwpics said:

For the record I have just purchased 5 rolls of Agfa APX400 135/36 from Amazon for 31.00UKP including free delivery. Due for delivery by 9 March.

Gerry

UPDATE:

So my 5 rolls of Agfaphoto APX400 arrived today 24 hours earlier than promised by Amazon. It was purchased through the Agfa shop and shipped via France to the UK. The film has an expiry date of 09/2027. 

I checked the latest information I could find on the Internet which states the film is now made under licence  by Fuji in Japan for Lepus Imaging in Germany. However my film clearly states it is made in the UK for Lepus. Now, to the best of my knowledge there is only one film coating plant in the UK, that of Ilford. This begs the obvious question "What have I bought?" Is this Agfa APX400, Ilford HP5+, Ilford Delta 400, Kentmere 400 or even Fuji Neopan under licence. Either way, at £6 a roll shipped, it seems good value. The little black film canister is identical to the Ilford ones.

I will shoot it as soon as I have finished the roll of Fomapan 400 I have in the M6 at the moment, and see what I think!

Gerry 

Edited by gwpics

1 hour ago, gwpics said:

UPDATE:

So my 5 rolls of Agfaphoto APX400 arrived today 24 hours earlier than promised by Amazon. It was purchased through the Agfa shop and shipped via France to the UK. The film has an expiry date of 09/2027. 

I checked the latest information I could find on the Internet which states the film is now made under licence  by Fuji in Japan for Lepus Imaging in Germany. However my film clearly states it is made in the UK for Lepus. Now, to the best of my knowledge there is only one film coating plant in the UK, that of Ilford. This begs the obvious question "What have I bought?" Is this Agfa APX400, Ilford HP5+, Ilford Delta 400, Kentmere 400 or even Fuji Neopan under licence. Either way, at £6 a roll shipped, it seems good value. The little black film canister is identical to the Ilford ones.

I will shoot it as soon as I have finished the roll of Fomapan 400 I have in the M6 at the moment, and see what I think!

Gerry 

It seems the consensus on the internet is that APX is Kentmere. 

37 minutes ago, oldwino said:

It seems the consensus on the internet is that APX is Kentmere. 

That would be one of the logical answers but I guess there is no real way of knowing. I will compare the grain with HP5+ and the old genuine APX.

Gerry

20 hours ago, gwpics said:

That would be one of the logical answers but I guess there is no real way of knowing. I will compare the grain with HP5+ and the old genuine APX.

Gerry

FWIW, the processing is identical (at least in my chemistry).  It might be the case that the AgfaPhoto rolls appear to have fewer surface defects--not that either film is particularly bad in this respect. (And, of course, this could be confirmation bias, or just dumb chance ... .)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Anbaric said:

I think Ilford/Harman have stated they don't re-badge the Ilford brand films, so presumably not HP5 or Delta.

That is if you believe everything manufacturers say, of course.

Gerry

41 minutes ago, gwpics said:

That is if you believe everything manufacturers say, of course.

I think if they were rebadging the Ilford films, they'd probably just remain silent. We already know that Kentmere 400 is different to HP5, and Kentmere is also a Harman brand, so the same factory is producing more than one traditional emulsion at that speed. Whether APX400 is currently Kentmere or something else again is another question. And I suppose we don't know if it's made to the same spec as the Fuji-produced version. Back when shops had their own brands, they would switch manufacturer without a change in branding - Jessops films were at one point made by Ferrania and then, I think, by Agfa, and I doubt they kept to the same formula. The brand owners just used whoever could supply them with good film of the same general type at the right price.

Edited by Anbaric
  • Like 1