Testing Capture One for M10R

tom24

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello
After a long time (years) I tried Capture One again for Leica M10R. I've heard that Capture One has gotten better and better Leica support over the last two years.
For M10R, there is only ProStandard profile in C1. In the starting point, it has very strong colors - especially blue and yellow. The blue channel is so strong that it almost always shows highlights clipping.

What is your experience and is it possible to eliminate the strong yellow color and tone down the blue channel?
The colors are practically crazy and it is very difficult for me to get a neutral photo.
I'm opening the conversation if anyone has advice on how to correct the yellow color and the blue channel.
It's just hard with White balance.
The custom profile with colorchecker is very washed out.
Any advice welcome. Thank you.

Personally I haven’t liked C1 since my fuji days and I’ve returned to adobe

C1 defaults to a quite a strong tone curve within its profile files

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

red line is the C1 default TC, dotted (curvy) line is adobe’s (look at that shadow dip 😳)

The problem with profiling for icc (icm) is that various things use icc (RAW editing software, printers, scanners) and there’s no real default, ie each icc profile creator must tailor the profile to suit their needs.

The (assuming) X-Rite ColorChecker app can’t know what you wish to use the resultant profile for and offers no way to tweak the profile, one loads a TIFF (DNG for dcp) and presses a button and a profile pops out the other end.. great when it works well, but one is a bit stuck when it doesn’t. With C1 it doesn’t really get the contrast right IME

C1 does however possess a decent tool to create profiles and starting off using the linear tone curve will reduce the impact of C1’s aggressive tone curve

C1 has its fans, and most RAW apps can turn out decent results with time and practice.

The way I see it…. And OMWV… Leica shoots DNG. Adobe invented DNG, the entire ACR/LR pipeline is designed incorporating the DNG spec. When you want to profile a camera for adobe, the target RAW must be in DNG, when you want adobe to work with an unsupported camera, you have to convert that camera’s RAW into DNG.

Basically I’ve always personally found that adobe plays nicely with the RAW format that they invented (unsurprisingly no?)

I’ve never been able to create ground up profiles for C1 that I found to be very successful.

Sure one can tweak the colours in an existing C1 profile and save it as a new one and this is probably the way forward IMO

@tom24I can see the reason behind personal opinions on thousands of things and one is LR vs C1. I’m a happy C1 user. I’m not going into detail why, but there are also many reason to find LR better fitting. However, thousands of pros are using C1 and that can be said about LR as well.

The Pro-Standard profiles have been shot with a lens they don't disclose. As lenses affect colour this exercise is somewhat moot. But at least it gives you the peace of mind that with a certain setup your camera is calibrated

You can create your own profile, I did that, but the same issue will remain, if that's an issue for you (not for me, I’m not after correct colour). 

So what to do? Use the editor that suits you best. If your blue issue is a reason to switch, do so. But before that, I’d have a closer look to my lenses and reevaluate. 

• Like 1