Compared to the 5D....made me laugh

TEBnewyork

Guest Bernd Banken
But Bernd, what reaction were you expecting from someone who is obviously dead? <grin>

You are correct, the problems are in the mind more than the camera.

;)

Guest s.m.e.p.
95% of the photographs in this forum tell that even a Leica is used the person behind is afraid to come close to the human object (in terms of streetphotography). So many shots from behind, from the side, for me they look boring because they have no hook.

Reason: It's not the brand or model it's the photographer's mind and personality as a result of education, life experience and some more reasons.

Most photographer don't stand the critical views of people who are aware of the camera but who are not the target, that induces an uncomfortable feeling I guess.

So It's not the brand it's the brain....;)

Bernd

D200/18mm in an old Bedford bus Malta

D200 / 24mm Hydropark - Kiev/Ukraine

D200 / 50mm Rusanovka - Kiev/Ukraine

and even with a much bigger Camera than the Leica you can come close to people if you communicate with them:

Hasselblad 500c/m - Zeiss Planar 80/2.8 CF T*

:cool:

• 2 months later...

Personally I think slating the 5D is a little ridiculous-it's a completely different tool to the M8, and significantly cheaper, which if you take that into account i'd say it's better (in my opinion of course).

I own a 5D and find the image quality excellent, I also own a GRD 2, and have owned a D Lux 3 which I subsequently sold as I couldn't get on with it. I do know that Leica's have a somewhat 'elite' following', but I would beg you not to rule out other good SLR's purely because they aren't Leica's!:o Let's not incorporate camera snobbery into our judgements of these cameras...

Of course..........I would still have an M8, because they are beautiful!:p

Personally I think slating the 5D is a little ridiculous-it's a completely different tool to the M8, and significantly cheaper, which if you take that into account i'd say it's better (in my opinion of course).

I own a 5D and find the image quality excellent, I also own a GRD 2, and have owned a D Lux 3 which I subsequently sold as I couldn't get on with it. I do know that Leica's have a somewhat 'elite' following', but I would beg you not to rule out other good SLR's purely because they aren't Leica's!:o Let's not incorporate camera snobbery into our judgements of these cameras...

Of course..........I would still have an M8, because they are beautiful!:p

Why on earth did you find it important to revive a thread that died two months ago??:confused:

Do you think I would get an assignment again, if the M8 would stop to work in this moment or would produce a picture like this:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/37438-very-strange.html

???

Now that is an intelligent example! The consensus in that thread was that it was an SD card/computer error. So what does it prove about the camera:confused:

Perhaps the following confession will bring about my excommunication, but I am presently shopping around for a good price on a used 5D.

No, I am not an unhappy M8 owner. I am about to have back to back shows in the US and in China in February, where M8 work will stand side by side with stuff shot with my beloved Rolleiflex, and the M8 stuff, printed 60x40 cm looks fantastic. (The Rollei prints are going 80x80.)

The problem is that I am shooting studio nudes for the next few months, and neither the M8 nor the Rollei are ideal, as much as I like them.Neither is WYSIWYG, especially at close range, and on both cameras the rather distant minimum focus distance is limiting.

I've always liked the 5D, but now that it's price has come down in the face of new releases by Nikon and the anticipation of new releases by Canon itself, it has become a compelling purchase to me, and will be a welcome addition to my stable of cameras.

One of my exhibits will be in St. Louis, by the way, if anyone is interested, and the other in Shanghai.

Details, as well as samples of my work can be found on my website.

It depends on your needs...

If you need good tool for working you must buy a camera that is a little bit bigger.

If you want a small cute toy with a little funny flash without real ttl and just direct light it´s o.k. to buy the M8.

Never heard such rubbish. Have you even used one? You don't seem to be very aware of the cameras potential, or its place in real world assignments. Spend some time in Lightstalkers if you really want to find out what it can do.

If you need good tool for working you must buy a camera that is a little bit bigger.

If you want a small cute toy with a little funny flash without real ttl and just direct light it´s o.k. to buy the M8.

Never heard such rubbish. Have you even used one? You don't seem to be very aware of the cameras potential, or its place in real world assignments. Spend some time in Lightstalkers if you really want to find out what it can do.

not rubbish it's true................

I got a little chuckle tonight. I'm taking a street photography class and we needed to have cameras with us at class. My M8 with a little itty bitty CV21 was sitting next to a 5D with an simply enormous 16mm lens, a 5D with a 24mm (just ever so slightly smaller) and a third 5D with a 28mm. I felt like I was shooting with a pocket sized point and shoot.

I know most people here use available light but tonight we were learning ways to incorporate flash.

Now take the 3 5D's and add the 580EX flashes.....I add my little toy SF24D and it just gets to be a more absurd comparison.

I've had venetian blinds (actually a couple of times recently), the fast scrolling menu, SD cards that keep showing up as locked and some horrific white balances, but absolutely no way I would trade for one of those beasts of a camera.

Now try to bounce the SF24D and the guy with the 580EX will feel much better than before?

Jusz kidding-I also love the compact size of the M8-however I think flash is where its really bad (delay, no good flash availabel, bad ttl metering)

not rubbish it's true................

Well, that's not much of an intelligent contribution to the discussion, but never mind. The facts speak for themselves. Regardless of your opinion, serious photographers have put the M8 to work in arenas as diverse as combat reporting from Iraq and Afghanistan, documentaries from Iran, and photo stories for international magazines. Specifically because it's lighter, smaller, less obtrusive, and produces images of similar or better quality than they could get with their former equipment. Facts which you could easily find out for yourself if you did some research before posting. Refer to lightstalkers.org.

I'm sure no one is disputing the quality of the m8, all I mentioned was that you can't really compare the two. Plus some of the snobbery associated with leica's causes individuals to post idiotic remarks about other perfectly good cameras! I'm sure DSLR's are still more widely used in the professional industry?

That´s it! I can´t afford to play Beta-Tester.

One example:

Yesterday I had the assignment to shoot the Gold-Ceremony for the Foo Fighters for Sony BMG.

The band got the awards for 100.000 sold CDs.

Edgar Berger (CEO of Sony BMG Germany) some other important people of the record company, Dave Grohl and his band, me and my Nikon D2X were in the room.

My D2X works without problems since March 2005, the same with the D200.

Do you think I would get an assignment again, if the M8 would stop to work in this moment or would produce a picture like this:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/37438-very-strange.html

???

The example you linked to was a very rare occurance. The vast majority of people using the M8 now are either not having any problems or they aren't saying anything about them. Canon and Nikon DSLRs are just as vulnerable to failures as the M8. A few days ago I was shooting a job with my 5D and it suddenly started overexposing everything by several stops. I finished the shoot with my M8.

And, yes, I think you probably would get work again if your camera screwed up a shot when you were with the Foo Fighters. Shit happens and people are a lot more forgiving than you might think--particularly if they saw something in your work they liked enough to make them hire you in the first place.

If your insecurity about losing a shot with the M8 is enough to prevent you from buying and using one, that's your choice. In my opinion, it is also your loss.

Guest guy_mancuso

Well said Brent but the bottom line when your a Pro is get the shot be it any gear and they ALL will fail at some point. Trust me on this. The M8 works and if it don't than you should have backup anyway, NO pro shooter should be without backup period. Be it Nikon, Canon or leica . I have been shooting the M8's only for over a year and even with some issues i still get the job done. It's not the gear it's confidence in yourself and your ability to save the day in any situation to come home with the bacon no matter what happens , it's called being PREPARED in all aspects. If you can't do that than get out of the business because you frankly don't belong in it. You have to save the day ALWAYS. That is what you get paid to do is deliver under any situation be it camera issues or you abilities. Another words COVER YOUR ASS.

When it boils down to it their all electronic gadets-they are NEVER 100% fail safe so it's best to bring back up! I think this 'debate' has drifted off on a tangent somewhat...

As the M8 is Leica's flagship camera I think it would more comparable to the Canon 1Ds which is around 6k. That has been rated as the best DSLR yet, but I should think so at the price. I think what people are saying is that it's unfair to label either camera as unreliable/not good quality etc etc, as pro's have been using both Canon top end SLR's and Leica cameras for years with excellent results, and they have already proved themselves in the field so to speak. There is no denying the M8 is a special camera and as with all Leica's it represents excellent build quality and image quailty to boot-same with the high end Canon's. I know i'm happy with my 5D, as i'd probably he happy with the M8 if I had one, but at the end of the day it is personal choice.

It is called being a "professional". You always have back up, you have more then one hammer if you are a carpenter, more then one brush if you are a painter. I am a dentist, no pun needed, and a photographer. I never shoot my kids cheerleading stuff or the high school basketball/football games, I donate my images to the teams in all cases and I still don't show up with just one camera. Stuff fails, I shoot enough to have had a failure, stuff dies, pure and simple. It was true back when we all shot film, it is true today. I have had Canon, Hassy, Nikon, Leica and Fuji cameras over the decades I have been interested and always had a backup since I was out of high school. If you want to be taken seriously as a professional, you can not be stopped by gear that can stop functioning. My M8 has never yet, failed me, it may some day, but that should NOT stop me from making an image or stop me from using one if the situation demands... JMHO..