Compared to the 5D....made me laugh

TEBnewyork

Guest Bernd Banken

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So just don't buy it, that's probably fine with everybody here.

Why the need to justify your decision every day again? I tell you why: Because you are not clear/ sure with your decision, otherwise you would just forget this forum.

If you would have worked and made money (in your job) during all the time you were critisizing the M8 here, you would almost have it for free by now and would probably quickly stop critisizing it.

But hey, it is a free country, I am sure at least one person here likes to hear you rant about the M8 a little longer, maybe 2 :-)

Bernie

In December 06 the M8 pushed me to buy my very first Leica, a used one with the famous black bubbles of the black chrome. This camera was cheap and my way to come closer to RF cameras in general and Leica in particular.

My strategy was to train and find out wether I could become familiar with RF photography as a glass wearer and after 35 years of SLRs/DSLRs.

This decision was right for me because when I repeat all the headaches and strategies to keep this model working, a M6 was heaven on earth.

And so is the M7 I got some months later. I don't remember one single camera in the market which is flying all over the world ones, twice and more than the M8.

For me it's a beta-test supported by Leica afficionados, sorry.

Bernd

And here we have an example of why I waited so long to try Leica: Attitude.

The M8 is a great tool for documentary work for sure, but it is not the only tool. The 5D is still the very best digital camera I have ever used for my type of work. I still get the best files out of it, it is the best value and has the most ability that you would ever need in a documentary or travel camera.

For example, this great essay on Mumbai was shot by Jonas Bendiksen with a single coat covered 5D with either a 28mm 1.8 or a 50 1.4 on it:

Mumbai Slum, Dharavi, Bombay, India - National Geographic Magazine

Don't know about you, but I think he did stellar on it. William Albert Allard is using both the 5D and the M8, he is not too shabby either.

Again, the M8 is a great tool to have in the box, but is not the only tool.

So lets lose the "Leica-attitude" it does not serve the community well...at all.

Again, the M8 is a great tool to have in the box, but is not the only tool.

So lets lose the "Leica-attitude" it does not serve the community well...at all.

I am not sure who's attitude you mean but in case you meant me, I never said the M8 RF is a camera for all purposes, it is obvious that it is not. I just don't understand the pupose of unloading rants about the M8 in an M8 forum instead of just getting a 5d or D3.

BTW I don't know about you but the India series you showed (link) has the typical so.. .so Canon colors. I have the 5d and know how to shoot it but I never liked the Canon color response and never liked the bad metering of the 5d either just as the blown highlights.

India gives you a huge "color/ light advantage" and yet they are not that great in terms of color. But this is just my 2c. You don't have to agree of course.

BTW I am not brand biased in any way, neither positive nore negative.

regards, Bernie

Guest tummydoc
And here we have an example of why I waited so long to try Leica: Attitude.

Why, did you think it might be contageous? Or were you sensitive to being mistaken for a dilletante Doctor/lawyer/dentist? Why would the banal pretentiousness of other Leica users be a deterrent to someone simply looking for a serious photographic tool?

Quite the contrary. If not for the "Leica-attitude", or generic snobbish materialism, the company would've folded years ago. Certainly sales of the M8 would've ground to a halt shortly after its introduction. The "Leica-attitude" is Leica's get-out-of-jail-free card.

SLR and RF are soo different....................

I don't know why one should compare 5D to M8?

myself I have sold everything I have for DSLR and I continue to enjoy of double small focusing patches now :)

I could to link to some world best photographers who use 6x7, sheet films.but it is pointless....I gaaspp...... that is my point.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

SLR and RF are soo different....................

I don't know why one should compare 5D to M8?

Because the 5D somehow has become a landmark camera every other quality digital camera is compared against. 5d is relatively small, not as heavy as the 1d series, low noise (most of the times), sharp, and the cheapest high rez there is (at least before the d300).

It is natural that both are compared, specially because the M8 is more expensive while all manual.

Bernie

It depends on your needs...

If you need good tool for working you must buy a camera that is a little bit bigger.

If you want a small cute toy with a little funny flash without real ttl and just direct light it´s o.k. to buy the M8.

All comparisons aside, because I love my 5d too, this is one of the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time. You are joking, right?

I (keep making) note how easy it is for many posters to convice themselves NOT to buy an M8. So many reasons, so little time............

I too convinced myself not to buy an M8. The PROBLEM is that that M8 would have been my second M8 and I really wish I had saved up money to buy the second one.

Just IMAGINE the productivity I would have achieved. The digital revolution has me upgrading either my entire computer, or my entire printing chain, or odd bits of software in a near-constant basis. If I allocated this effort to the first M8 only, then the second M8 would be so much more fun.

If you don't want an M8, why are you wasting time on this forum instead of going out and shooting with your much better SLR?

• Like 1

I love my Leica M-Lenses and would like to use them digital.

So I hope the next digital M will be better than the M8. If not I will sell my Leica M-Equipment because I have no fun and time to scan films.

Have you owned an M8? If not I'm sorry, but you don't know what the hell you are talking about. What's the deal here? I don't go the Nikonians.org and post snotty comments about the D2x.

Why does photography seem to attract so many angry men?

Guest s.m.e.p.
If you don't want an M8, why are you wasting time on this forum instead of going out and shooting with your much better SLR?

Why aren´t you going out to shoot pictures with your wonderful M8?

Have you owned an M8? If not I'm sorry, but you don't know what the hell you are talking about. What's the deal here? I don't go the Nikonians.org and post snotty comments about the D2x.

Why does photography seem to attract so many angry men?

Where is the rule that only "I love my M8" - people are allowed in this forum?

,,,,, a bit like crap....until you have a good one it's a no go zone buddy and don't you forget it......

just as Dan states in all his stuff " If I don't like it then it's crap"

own up to it lads it's all like pulling teeth

We might as well face it folks. Not everyone shares our enthusiasm for the M8.

Some of those venting against the camera that we think as great are justified in doing so. They may had bad luck or simply can not live with some of it's, ugh, shortcomings. These are legitimate complaints.

Then there are the trolls. Quite a few of them. As to which is which is sometimes difficult to decide though some are rather obvious.

One thing is certain, they are not worth the worry.

Yesterday I was going to respond but the thread was towards the bottom of the page and I thought I would let it die a natural death and not bump it up. Now that it is on top.....

The 5D is a wonderful camera and a lot of people like it for what they do. I was only poking fun at it because the M8 equipped similarly is just so much smaller and manageable (at least for me).

I didn't mean for the thread to develop this way. Lesson learned.

That being said. I haven't taken a physics class for so many years but why do they have to be so much bigger. Sensor is a bit bigger and lens is a bit further away from sensor does that small a difference really have to equate to that big of a size difference?

Youve had a pretty clean run with your M8 Tim?

Ya I have had no issues with it. Maybe the type of shooting I do but I never saw any of the artifacts people had. It did make its trip to Solms for the refit. I have had it on motorcyle trips bumping around in the saddle bags. I have shot 2 weddings filling 4 2gig cards each time and had no problems. So I guess I am either lucky or maybe the problems really weren't showing up in a high percentage of cameras. I also use a 5D and until recently a 1DMKII but mostly use the 5D for wildlife now.