Compared to the 5D....made me laugh

TEBnewyork

Agree with the yawn - but also agree with earlier comments from Don and Guy M. Backup is what counts. I was in the middle of a shoot and the next SD card I reached for failed. Wouldn't read, wouldn't format, failed. End of the world? No. I had another card. 5D fails, I've got the M8 with enough lenses in the bag to cover my ass from wide to mid-long. M8 fails, the 5D can cover (+ the great thing about the M is that you can carry a second body without needing a well muscled assistant!).

And for quality - check http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/43506-75mm-vs-90mm-how-do-you.html#post455873 I shoot them side by side, and once white balance has been adjusted I really don't see any major difference - especially on screen, and even on paper. The photographer sees the image, the lens draws it, the capture medium records it, and the printer prepares it for whichever medium the client or the artist choses. 5D, GR2, M8 1 series Canon, Nikon, etc. Hammer, chisel, screwdriver - any order you like.

I hear Andreas Gursky (whose prints go for $60K and up) has switched from an 8X10 camera to the M8 because its better. Not!

My point being, like Chris, is that they are just tools. There's many many photographers out there using 5Ds that can shoot circles around any of the shooters on this forum. One that comes to mind is Jonas Bendiksen the youngest Magnum member. He uses primarily a 5D with a 28 prime. Amazing stuff.

Mr Ambrose, you must be pretty serious about your life.........not sure if it's a good thing.

As far a lightstalkers goes , spell stnamI backwards and you will see that I 've been kerfubbling there for some time.

Most photographers at Lightstalkers etc, don't use the M8 because they cannot afford it and it is not the best tool to take into a shoot them dead zone. Sure a couple like Stevens do but mainly peace time stuff but many are not convinced it will take the hard knocks and it's quicker and easier to use a DSLR, most are photojournalists, content before quality and get it out fast, it's all about information to the masses.

:D :D :D :D

Mr Ambrose, you must be pretty serious about your life.........not sure if it's a good thing.

As far a lightstalkers goes , spell stnamI backwards and you will see that I 've been kerfubbling there for some time.

Most photographers at Lightstalkers etc, don't use the M8 because they cannot afford it and it is not the best tool to take into a shoot them dead zone. Sure a couple like Stevens do but mainly peace time stuff but many are not convinced it will take the hard knocks and it's quicker and easier to use a DSLR, most are photojournalists, content before quality and get it out fast, it's all about information to the masses...

You're probably right, and it's probably not a good thing :D

But your point about content before quality is well made. The M8 is better suited to more contemplative and qualitative work. It does rather well in documentary circles, for instance.