Celebrating the M10-R (the prodigal's return?)

chris_tribble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't know how others feel after a year or two of being seduced by the AF of the Q2 or SL2 (and their great lenses), but I'd be interested to hear.  In my case, while I've no intention of giving up on either of these systems, I have to say that a recent return to using the M10-R as a walk-around camera has been revelatory.  I've been using my good old work-horse 50 lux asph and 35 cron asph lenses over the last few days and it's been a breath of fresh air.  I'd forgotten how precisely you can select the focus plane, and how good the metering is (it really is!).  I'd also forgotten how much I like the M10-R's rendering of colour and the malleability of the files. And then there was the pleasure of muscle memory with eveything coming into my hands like an old friend 🙂 

Examples from a local walk (up in Kentmere if anyone knows Cumbria) below.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 14

As I repeat many times on this forum, I bought Q2 a year and a half ago, and than re-sell it for M10R BP and APO Summicron 35. I also have M240, and Summiluxes 50 and 28. 

First immpresion with Q2 was very positive and I undoubtly consider it excellent camera. There are so many features which excell, lens are almost as good as Summilux 28 and so on, but... but when I watch big prints, I missed characteristic of pictures done by "M" cameras and their sensors. Rendering was not the same, my impression was they resemble more "perfect digital look" of Canon/Nikon type. By the way, prints were always done by White Wall lab, considered as one of the best.

And this was the reason I devoted myself completly to "M"! 😉 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MaticB said:

As I repeat many times on this forum, I bought Q2 a year and a half ago, and than re-sell it for M10R BP and APO Summicron 35. I also have M240, and Summiluxes 50 and 28. 

First immpresion with Q2 was very positive and I undoubtly consider it excellent camera. There are so many features which excell, lens are almost as good as Summilux 28 and so on, but... but when I watch big prints, I missed characteristic of pictures done by "M" cameras and their sensors. Rendering was not the same, my impression was they resemble more "perfect digital look" of Canon/Nikon type. By the way, prints were always done by White Wall lab, considered as one of the best.

Almost the same path, and last camera was Q2 and Fuji xpro3 before completely turning focus on M 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MaticB said:

I'm on this journey aswell ... had a Q2 a couple of years ago and whilst I loved it in use the output never gelled with me ...... I'm retired from professional photography so it was all about experience for me.

I flirted with a Canon and have now got a SL 601 which I love but am on the lookout for a suitably priced used M10-R :) which I hope will fill the void in my photography journey.

Simon

• Like 2

No stranger to Leica M photography here, but my M10-R bp is my first digital M and unless it is eventually broken beyond repair, lost or stolen, I can’t see any reason in the meantime why I would replace it.

I use it most days and when I set out with a plan which requires any of my other cameras, the M10-R usually comes along too.

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, MaticB said:

First immpresion with Q2 was very positive and I undoubtly consider it excellent camera. There are so many features which excell, lens are almost as good as Summilux 28 and so on, but... but when I watch big prints, I missed characteristic of pictures done by "M" cameras and their sensors. Rendering was not the same, my impression was they resemble more "perfect digital look" of Canon/Nikon type. 

Hmmm - It really hasn't been an issue with output for me - and I've printed at A3+ from the Q2.  Much more to do with the strange advantage of manual RF focus and the overall feel.  I love the Q2 because it can do such different things (wide to macro - see below) and produces great images IMHO.  It's more to do with the process... 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Funny, my view is pretty much the opposite.  I bought an M10R BP about a year ago and have never "bonded" with it.  I continue using my original M10 or, more often, the Q2.  This morning I requested a quote from the usual big camera shops for my 10R BP as a trade-in/store credit and as a straight sale.  Be interesting to see the $.

Edited by Mikep996

1 hour ago, Mikep996 said:

Funny, my view is pretty much the opposite.  I bought an M10R BP about a year ago and have never "bonded" with it.  

It is obvious that preference for one or another is prety much subjective! And it's nothing wrong with that! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve not been without an M since the 80’s, the latest being the M10 Monochrom (most used), M10-R (BP) and still an M(9) Monochrom (infrequently used).  The SL2 joined a few years ago, as a complementary tool (zooms, different focal lengths, weather sealing, AF and focus aids, etc), and still serves that role.  Neither substitutes for the other, either for shooting experience or for shooting needs/circumstances. I’ll always have an M as long as my eyes cooperate.  The M10M and M10-R offer all I could want for the foreseeable future; but then I never predicted the digital M offerings when I happily shot with film Ms.

Jeff

• Like 3

I just got my M10-R last weekend. It has been at least 35 years since I last used a rangefinder. Longer than than since I used my brother’s M3. I am glad I got it. It forces me to slow down considerably. I also have the CL with the 11-23 and 18-56 zooms. I intend to use both cameras. They are very different but both yield great results. 

Chris_Tribble,   I found the M10-R to be the best M camera for me.  I used all the digital Ms, Q2, SL and S cameras for both personal and professional work.  I tried the M11 for 6 weeks on initial sale and found it was the only digital M that I could not bond and lost the joy of shooting an M camera.  I swapped back to the M10-R and found the pleasure of using an M camera once again.  The aforementioned camera systems for me were a unique experience and filled most of my business needs.  When I retired, I downsized my Leica holdings with the M10-R and M lenses becoming a sweet spot tool kit.  My M10-R tool kit helps to create landscape photographs that both make it possible to capture nearly any scene I wish and enables me to enjoy the simplicity and fun of using a great camera and lenses.  I might add, the M10-R and M lenses excel for me when out hiking in really challenging terrain and most environments too.  Plus the camera has never failed me in the field.  So, I agree with your opening OP thread on the utility and qualities you mentioned, you are spot on.  Just my thoughts.  r/ Mark   

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 6