Should I buy an M8

fielden

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been thinking of buying an M8 for some time now and have scoured the forum reading all the threads to fully research and my heart tells me that I really, really want one but my brain is telling me not to. I have sat with my phone in one hand and my credit card in the other and have even dialled the store number only to hang up.

This started with a dlux2 and then a digilux 3 which I absolutely love. The d3 is so much better to use and produces much better files than my canon 20d. But I really like the idea of manual everything and having to think before pressing the button. I have never used a rangefinder before but I really would like to give it a go.

So, what is stopping me - well it is the thought of spending £4500.00 and experiencing some of the problems discussed on here and I wonder how I would deal with it.

Realistically, and without a rant or exaggeration, what can I expect, I know about the IR and white balance which can easily be overcome with filters and software. Is there anything else I should prepare myself for?

Should I buy an M8?

Thanks

Graeme

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Fielden-the vibe I get from your post is that you MUST get an m8. why wait mate. if you hadn't hung up the phone you'd be in love with this beast already. you'll be shocked at the quality difference between the digi3 and the m8. look forward to seeing some shots from you....b

Graeme, don't be put off by the number of reported problem. The nature of all forums is that people who have had a problem say so, while those that haven't don't. That's not to say that some haven't had any issues, but it's not the norm.

I've had my M8 since January and 9000 or so frames later I'm still enjoying using it immensly.

Graeme

If the rangefinder thing is a concern, go out and buy a cheapie film rangefinder and run a few rolls through it and you should know.

If you are looking for the best in image quality and enjoy actually TAKING the photograph then the M8 is a no-brainer.

I came from a 20D and 5D but had quite a bit of manual focus experience so it wasn't such a culture shock maybe. That said, it was still a learning experience, but one that I must stress I thoroughly enjoy.

The image quality, especially with Leica lenses is astounding and outstanding, you can read plenty on these forums about how and why but until you see it you won't believe it.

Looking forward to seeing some shots :)

Graeme, don't be put off by the number of reported problem. The nature of all forums is that people who have had a problem say so, while those that haven't don't. That's not to say that some haven't had any issues, but it's not the norm.

I've had my M8 since January and 9000 or so frames later I'm still enjoying using it immensly.

Me as well, since March and 3000 frames away, in tropical and temperate climates, great files, inobtrusive, relatively light and................ no trouble at all.

White balance on Daylight, DNG (and small jpg's for the Epson P2000) and shooting away happily!

Guest tummydoc

The d3 is so much better to use and produces much better files than my canon 20d.

ROFL! Definitely, buy the M8. You clearly have the right mind-set that there's absolutely no question you will be deliriously happy with it no matter what.

M6J,

Yes I am in Rochdale, do you know it? Its a long way from Athens.

My wife's house is there, next to the Turk's head. I have to check the name of the photographer in our wedding back in 2001, who knows, maybe it was you? :D

I have been thinking of buying an M8 for some time now and have scoured the forum reading all the threads to fully research and my heart tells me that I really, really want one but my brain is telling me not to. I have sat with my phone in one hand and my credit card in the other and have even dialled the store number only to hang up.

This started with a dlux2 and then a digilux 3 which I absolutely love. The d3 is so much better to use and produces much better files than my canon 20d. But I really like the idea of manual everything and having to think before pressing the button. I have never used a rangefinder before but I really would like to give it a go.

So, what is stopping me - well it is the thought of spending £4500.00 and experiencing some of the problems discussed on here and I wonder how I would deal with it.

Realistically, and without a rant or exaggeration, what can I expect, I know about the IR and white balance which can easily be overcome with filters and software. Is there anything else I should prepare myself for?

Should I buy an M8?

Thanks

Graeme

Graeme:

I purchased my M8 in Dec of 2006 and have not regretted it yet. This does not mean that I have not experienced the "magenta" issue, the "tiger stripes" on the view screen, random "lockups", "backfocusing", etc.. It also includes having sent my equipment to both Solms, Germany and Allendale, NJ.

However, the quality of the photographs that are generated have been so well worth it for me that I opt to use the M8 in lieu of my DSLR for nearly everything. It's light, relatively compact and of fine quality. I am addicted to my M8.

Good luck making your decision.

Attila

Graeme,

The M8 is fabulous. Once you've consoled yourself that you're going to need UV/IR filters and correction either through coding or software, you'll fall in love with the camera. The image quality will absolutely blow yer socks off.

You're near some pretty countryside ... I miss the UK sometimes.

The IR filter thing is a non-issue at this point, unless you are a go-naked fanatic. Most of the other problems are glitches which you can ascribe to "character". The two things which could make a difference are 1) if you shoot only JPG, the M8 is not a good camera at the moment. The raws are great, the JPGs are not so great; and 2) there are real QA problems in the rangefinder pipeline. If you have a problem with sending lenses and camera back, potentially multiple times, don't buy. If you are a patient and calm kind of person, the M8 could end up being one of the best purchases you ever make. Keep in mind that the lenses are insanely expensive, so try to figure out which you need, and then check your wallet. Finally, it is a very expensive mistake to make, if you can't get along with the rangefinder. Try one out, maybe rent a film M, or even buy an older film M from your dealer, and if you wouldn't want to keep the film M once you get the M8, try to arrange up front with your dealer that if you place an order for the M8, that they pay a certain amount for the film M. I recommend the M6, which is cheap, but modern, as far as M cameras go.

Graeme,

I too am wrestling with the issue of whether to pull the trigger and purchase an M8.

In my case, however, it would be so as to have a second body to work with. That's how much I like the first one.

I'm in the same boat.. save for the fact that it would not be a second M8 but a first body.

I would like to use it to work into my wedding coverage and to compliment (or outshine) my Canon 5D's.

Pondering,

Dave

I was in your shoes a year ago when the M8 was introduced.

With all the problems reported daily back then, I decided to get a RD-1 instead, but this was also due to the low and slow availability in Finland.

BUT!

In August I phoned my dealer, uhm, Leica Dealer that is, and he had a black cancelled one!!! We all know the rest:) On the 13th of August I became a VERY happy owner of an M8. I have never enjoyed a camera more. I'm not a professional photographer.

I've used many cameras and makes. Digital was not new for me, but if you are new to digital, you must be prepared that digital is not so easy as some folks say. The picture is not ready once the shutter button was pressed. And many seem to forget this, or just misunderstood the whole deal with digital photography.

I started to use Digital cameras when the Canon EOS-1D was introduced. Was it 2003?

I started to use photoshop as a hobby back in 1997 and as a geek who loved to draw, back when you still used a pencil and paper, this was new for me, and I could combine the two using a flatbed scanner.

So being the playstation generation with a sense of the arts working the digital workflow with RAW images was no problem for me.

Again:

You should buy the M8. I regrett not getting one before, but this way I got a nice birthday present for myself! :D