Should I buy an M8

fielden

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now...honestly, I think you ought to find a good used M3 and 50 Summicron and use it for a month or so before you spend many thousands on an M8 and lenses.

The funny thing is, I have the subjective feeling the M3 is easier to use than the M8. This is partly due to the reason I'm used to the M3 but also partly due to the reason I'm surprised of the high yield of technically good images the M3 delivers. With the M8 one takes it for granted the images are technically good but any of my mistakes shows immediately.

However, in my impression the M8 is the first digital camera which can do a nice representation of leaves in the background.

In truth, if you can try one first for a day or two that will give you a better sense of if you're going to like it or not.

Has the demo promotion finished now? There were adverts all over the UK photo rags saying you could test drive an M8. Call a couple of dealers and see if they are still participating in the scheme.

At the end of the day, only you can answer this question. If you have the means and the desire, then go for it. However, If you're worried about whether rangfinder working will suit you, another alternative to a used M3 is a new voigtlander bessa. If you get some CV lenses too (say 28 or 35), then these could be used on the M8 if and when the time is right for you.

I started with a Bessa R before graduating *very* quickly to an M6TTL as the rangefinder way of working suited me. So when I bought the M8, I was very confident that it would be 'right' for me as I was used to rangefinders. They may not suit you, so £3k is a bit of a risk, especially if you don't already have any lenses to fit the camera.

I don't want to pour a bucket of water on your enthusiasm - Ken's doing a fine job (only joking Ken! :D) with his wise words.

IF you do go for an M8, check out Robert White (they're also distributors for Voigtlander cameras and lenses BTW) - they often have ex-demo M8s for £300 off RRP.

I'm sure you'll make the right decision and I look forward to seeing your first M8 shots ;)

The funny thing is, I have the subjective feeling the M3 is easier to use than the M8.

I know that my M7 is certainly "easier" to use than my M8. But, come to think of it, that observation would hold true with just about any film camera. There are more options / settings in digital cameras than in film cameras. Not that they must each be considered for each image but they can sometimes make for a more controlled --but much more complex-- photography experience.

@Mark: Have bucket, will travel. (Just trying to present a cautionary voice amidst a chorus of enthusiasm for spending someone else's resources. ;) )

Right, the decision is made and hopefully I will have my M8 this time next week. I have been speaking with stephens cameras in Manchester and they have offered me a good deal taking my canon gear in p/x. They have been extremely helpful and I will be going to the shop early next week to do the deal. All I have to do now is decide on lenses........

I am thinking of a 28 cron and a 50 cron to start me off.

Now I can't wait.

Thanks everyone for the help and comments.

Glad you've decided to go for it and I hope you enjoy like the vast majority of people who use this forum.

You would get all sorts of opinions on lenses - but I will offer mine! The 35mm focal length is the nearest equivalent to 50mm on film. This is my most used lens followed by 28mm. Then 75mm then 50mm then 90mm. 28mm is currently my widest lens and I very rarely want anything wider. My subject matter is mostly landscape.

I started with a 50mm cron, then a 28mm cron. Then 75 then 35 then 90. If I was to start again and with the benefit of hindsight I would have bought a 35mm cron with the camera. Its almost identical to a 50mm, sharp as nails but double the price of the 50mm cron. Then I would buy the 28mm (I like the cron, but rather expensive). My 2 lenses would therefore be 35 and 28 - in that order.

Whatever you decide and deal you get, enjoy and let us know how you get on.

Going to Stephens in Manchester tomorrow to do the deal. an M8 and couple of lenses depending what they have.

Can't wait!!!!!

Good news Graeme - tell David Stephens the NW members of the forum want some commission from him for their advice!! Enjoy yourself and we look forward to seeing some great pictures.:)

I've an acquaintance who's an attorney specializing in handling personal bankruptcy. You wouldn't believe the number of people who offer this silly slogan, nearly verbatim, as an explanation for their predicaments.

This is a bit off-topic, however I have the feeling it is a sensible rule to take a private loan only to buy a place to live in. Sorry for playing the wise guy...

You sure can tell from the tenor of the answers that we've got a fan club going here.

Caution! That might mean you're not getting the most objective answers.

I suspect that if you've read everything already and posed the question here, that's not what you're looking for anyway.

I don't have anything to say to discourage you from the purchase. I bought an M8 early in the year, and although I was already a rangefinder user, as well as a digital camera adept, somehow it took me a few months before I felt I was really getting the best from the camera.

I'm pushing it these days, though, and it pushes back. It's a wonderful piece of equipment, capable of fantastic images and great, supple files.

Best not to fetishize the thing, though. Like anything else, though, it has its limits, its idiosyncrasies and its downright flaws.

As for regrets, I have none. I do feel, however, that in the world of digital cameras there are some strong competing choices for the best way to spend what the M8 costs, and there are bound to be even stronger competitors both in terms of value and in terms of image quality before too long.

Going to Stephens in Manchester tomorrow to do the deal. an M8 and couple of lenses depending what they have.

Can't wait!!!!!

Stephens are closed on Mondays... ;)

[Edit: not anymore they aren't. All those M8s to sell :)]

Have a good day with David! (And check-out SN 357 while you are at it)

Will do Keith. I will see what I can do!

Keith, Have you heard of a coaching company called Arrimar?

Graeme - no I haven't come across Arrimar but I've just looked at their web site - do you know them?

Stephens are closed on Mondays... ;)

[Edit: not anymore they aren't. All those M8s to sell :)]

Have a good day with David! (And check-out SN 357 while you are at it)

Definitely not closed on Mondays cos David just seperated me from 3 and 1/2 grand. Must admit I wondered whether he was open on Mondays as I arrived at 10:10 and he didn't turn up till 10:30. LOL

But I just got back with my brand spanking new M8 in Black. A Leitz 28mm Elmarit and a Voightlander 50mm 1.5 Noctur.

Just got to wait for the battery to charge now.

Must just add that David was extremely helpful and seems like a great lad.

Must just add that David was extremely helpful and seems like a great lad.

Nice one.

He is a great "lad", especially when parting a man from his money :) Seriously, you couldn't hope to find a better dealer.

He's the man that sold me my first Leica - my bank manager hasn't looked back since.