Older Lens Performance (24-Elmarit) on M11

tappan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If this has been covered, sorry and thanks for your thoughts.
I have an M10-P and I use a few older lenses.
A 24mm Elmarit and a 90mm Elmarit.
I know that some of the newer lenses have been manufactured with an eye toward optimizing a digital sensor, and I was wondering if anybody that uses one or both of these combinations that I cited had any thoughts on their performance.
Thanks in advance.
Mark

Older lenses have a softer look and sometimes less contrast. they can be used on the M11 and does charateristic still apply.

Just don't aspect higher resolution from it, they are what they are.

I have tested a summicron lens from the mid '60s and the very best modern apo. Rendering looks similar, little different in color, lens flare are different, as you zoom in you can see a huge difference in details.  The old lens does still look good for portriats with a nice fost look.

• Thanks 1

Which 90 Elmarit? I've have the original, Tele thin and the 90's Elmarit-M. The original had a great, classic look that I was a big fan of, but don't expect a modern look. The Tele-thin was a nice size but I was never happy with the results myself. The 90's was really good, though if I were to return to that FL again I think I'd try out the modern Summarit rather than picking up a 90's Elmarit again after being super impressed with the 35. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

summarit 90 is very good on M11

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, tedd said:

Which 90 Elmarit? I've have the original, Tele thin and the 90's Elmarit-M. The original had a great, classic look that I was a big fan of, but don't expect a modern look. The Tele-thin was a nice size but I was never happy with the results myself. The 90's was really good, though if I were to return to that FL again I think I'd try out the modern Summarit rather than picking up a 90's Elmarit again after being super impressed with the 35. 

Thank you. I was referring to the 90's Elmarit. Thank you.

I use Elmarit, Summicron and Summarit lenses from 60-70 years ago without issue.  Also Summilux glass. To me, some of the old lenses never gave a look I like - 40 years ago or today. It’s more a factor of the lens.  I have had, and compared (and sold some) every Summicron 50 from viii through asph and see minor variance from version to version - it’s a very consistent lens.  My advice is to experiment with different lenses to see what look/feel - YOU like.  Buy some lenses, shoot, test and evaluate the results and keep what you like, sell what you don’t.  Especially with used glass, there is no impediment to doing your own experimentation and settling on what you like best. Your application weather viewing on laptop, large screen computer, small wall art, gallery exhibition….. will be unique to you so - make YOU happy. 

Edited by DenverSteve

On 2/26/2023 at 4:39 PM, tappan said:

If this has been covered, sorry and thanks for your thoughts.
I have an M10-P and I use a few older lenses.
A 24mm Elmarit and a 90mm Elmarit.
I know that some of the newer lenses have been manufactured with an eye toward optimizing a digital sensor, and I was wondering if anybody that uses one or both of these combinations that I cited had any thoughts on their performance.
Thanks in advance.
Mark

Old lenses are not obsolete. On the contrary, I find the combination of old lens on new technology often more appealing. Other than a little bit of extra contrast in PP, not much else is needed with a lens from the 60's provided it is in good condition.

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb DenverSteve:

I use Elmarit, Summicron, and Summarit lenses from 60 - 70 years ago without issue.  Also Summilux glass.

What I keep saying for years: lenses have no megapixels. If you used to like a lens then you will like it even better on the latest super-duper-high-resolving digital camera.

Edited by 01af
  • Like 4

It's helpful to get past the notion of any particular lens not being "good enough" for a high resolution sensor. 

I've described this to folks this way: if you can think of the sensor as a microphone, the higher resolution sensor will simply give you a very high resolution, high fidelity, high accuracy capture of what the lens delivers. It doesn't change what the lens delivers and that's what you want. 

So a very high-accuracy capture of the image produced by a particular lens (along with its signature characteristics) is a very welcome thing for folks who select a lens because of those characteristics. 

Personally I find my Mandler (28, 90 Elmarits, 75mm 'lux) optics quite satisfying on the M11. Not quite as characterful as on the 10 or 240, but they draw much smoother than was the case with the 10-R, where they lost their 'glow'.  All three are back in the rotation again. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have used the lenses you mentioned on the M11 - the Elmarit 24m ASPH 2.8, the Elmarit 90m f/2.8 and some others.  The high resolution sensor pulls out every last drop of lens character.  I use the Leica 50mm f/2 Rigid lens from the early 1960’s on the M11.  I happen to have an incredibly clean and clear copy (CLA’d at wetzlar) and it is gorgeous on the M11.

I think it is a good thing…

• Like 1