MP rewind knob spins back

Dbrass

Advertisement (gone after registration)

MP users, does your rewind knob wind back on itself if you let go of the knob when rewinding 36 exposure roll? Mine does. Ok it’s not super fast but it happens.

I read many people don’t have this happening on their MP, they say theirs has a brake so it doesn’t move at all, I need to use 2 hands.

Do I have a shit copy or is there a solution?

You can't really break the clutch and the camera isn't broken if it doesn't work. All it is is an amount of friction on the rewind spindle that works for a little while, until it doesn't work anymore. You'll soon get used to rewinding without letting go of the rewind knob, just like people do with an M3 or M2.

For me rewind knob wind back is normal when I rewind (spind back) sometimes it also too hard to rewind as well if the weather is cold because my hand freeze.  Actully it has some tension when rewind and I think this is totally normal with one hand and 2 fingers. 😅

Edited by Rungroj Suppagarn

My older M models (2 & 3) rely on friction as stated above, not an actual clutch - and after the decades the friction is light. Contrast to the M4 style that spins freely without friction - if you slip off the crank it may spin back several turns.

If you want a camera with a real rewind clutch get an M5. The large rewind knob (with crank) is on the bottom plate. With the crank lever folded in it spin freely either direction, but when you fold the crank out a ratchet prevents it from springing back - it will only turn in the rewind direction.

Every time I get my M5 out to use I'm amazed at how nice it is. Too bad Leitz didn't continue many of its features.

Edited by TomB_tx
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for all your replies, seems like this is totally normal (even though the camera is just 6months old) and actually it isnt spinning back as fast as the M6 style which spins crazy fast, right?

I’ll try to work out a way to rewind with one hand so it doesn’t spin back at all

vor 58 Minuten schrieb Dbrass:

[…] actually it isnt spinning back as fast as the M6 style which spins crazy fast, right?

On my original M6 this is definitely true. Rewinding a film is pretty tough in the beginning but gets better when the film is almost wound up. And if the rewind knob slips my fingers it spins a lot.

On my M7 it’s a little bit better, but the rewind crank spins, too, if it slips my fingers.

2 hours ago, Dbrass said:

Thanks for all your replies, seems like this is totally normal (even though the camera is just 6months old) and actually it isnt spinning back as fast as the M6 style which spins crazy fast, right?

I’ll try to work out a way to rewind with one hand so it doesn’t spin back at all

I watched your video a second time. Mine is a 2021 MP with around ~150 rolls and does not spin backwards like yours when I let go of the knob. I can rewind using one hand. It would appear the clutch/brake isn't holding the film when you let go of the knob. Either way best thing to do is to email your video to Leica customer care to see what they think.

Mine spins back on day 1. As my first film Leica, I was quite surprised at the beginning as it is so different from the buttery smoothness you experience while loading. 

Film stock isn't too relevant based on my experience. I shoot Porta 400 80% of the time. The spin back and tension are different each time.