Mac Leopard

mwalker649

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Update (mine, that is):

To recap, the Leopard update disabled my airport adapter.

I had my date with the genius at the Apple store last nite (actually, 2 genii). The first guy couldn't do anything with the OS to fix the problem, so reinstalled Leopard from his copy on a hard disk. Time: 1.25 hours. Problem: user brought no book with. Had to hang out for all this time at the mall.

This did not fix the problem. Recommendation: erase the disk and reinstall. This did not happen to be a problem, so I said yes, and went home bearing the phone number of the (second) genius at the store. I had already been in the mall for 2.5 hours. Malls get old in 2 minutes, after all.

I called 1.5 hours later and the person on the phone said the load worked and the airport adapter was working. I'll find out tomorrow, when I pick up the computer.

Lesson: At least as far as the G4 867 is concerened, back up before the upgrade.

I'll report as soon as I have the final good news. I wonder what Apple's unit testing was like. One test case should have been to upgrade an existing G4.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Final (or so-to-be-hoped) update:

Picked up the G4 this morning and it's working fine with airport.

The genius had to do an Erase and Install to get the airport hardware working. Perhaps there is a conflict with some files as a result of a simple upgrade.

If you're planning on upgrading a G4 Powerbook, I would suggest backup up all your stuff, and doing the Erase and Install bit.

Regards,

Been a mac user since 1984, and a mac owner since 1990. Though I've heard many reports of users doing major-release OS upgrades successfully, since System 7 I've never done anything but a completely fresh install.

OS X is an incredibly complex beast. Best to give every new "cat" a wide berth, plenty of RAM, and a fresh start.

• 4 weeks later...
Eric, I don't think this is the new driver. It was posted on 02.07.2006, which I think is the same date as the driver I downloaded from the Epson UK site. Certainly it hasn't fixed my crummy B&W printing. Have you tried printing in Advanced B&W mode, and has it worked for you? That's where my trouble is at the moment.

On the UK site they do specifically mention that there will be a Leopard driver released in November, so maybe they're aware of this. Hope so... :(

Guy,

Have a look at this thread below, and also the one it links to, with regards to your Epson R2400.

Digital Darkroom Forum: Printer Epson R2400 and Mac OSX 10.5 - photo.net

They appear to have a fix for the Epson R2400 under Leopard with the driver that i originally linked to here :

Epson Stylus Photo R2400, Drivers & Downloads - Technical Support - Epson America, Inc.

I'm going to give it a try when i get home from the office.

Regards

Eric

Been a mac user since 1984, and a mac owner since 1990. Though I've heard many reports of users doing major-release OS upgrades successfully, since System 7 I've never done anything but a completely fresh install.

OS X is an incredibly complex beast. Best to give every new "cat" a wide berth, plenty of RAM, and a fresh start.

I think the forums at Apple will support your statement. The people having the problems are predominantly the ones doing upgrades.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another reason for a clean install is that I much prefer keeping my Tiger system intact while I see how Leopard behaves with all my apps and in general. I'll be keeping 2 start up discs with Tiger (backing them up as always), and add one for leopard when I do install l it. best...Peter

Well, I am a new Apple user, just bought my first, a new macbook last friday. My problem to date is it will not load my C1LE 3.7.5, or, I tried to download and install 3.7.7 last night and I get the same message, "the install program shut down unexpectantly". It did install C1ver.4 beta OK saturday, but will not install either version of LE. iPhoto'08 will read dng's, but has limited editing and no WB adjustment, so I need C1LE, as I'm not completely satisfied with C1v4 beta yet. from the sound of previous posts, I should wait to get LR untill it is working OK. I may try PSE6, anyone bought it yet? Out side of this issue, I'm pretty happy, and just havng PC to Mac use conversion issues. ;-)

Gene