Mac Leopard

mwalker649

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If Microsoft EVER had a launch with the "little bugs" the apple crowd shrugs off, the world would march in protest and apple would have 20 times the commercials making fun of microsoft it has already.

Not sure I follow that logic. Are you aware of the "little bugs" turning up in Micro$oft Vista?

Bill

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to everryone who has posted on this. I can handle balky cameras or a balky operating system but I don't have time for both. I've got a copy of Leopard sitting on a shelf and a note on my calendar to consider installing it second quarter 2008. The administrators might want to consider making this thread sticky given the importance of this topiic to a majority of the members of this forum.

Not sure I follow that logic. Are you aware of the "little bugs" turning up in Micro$oft Vista?

Bill

Several of my friends have had to reinstall entire mac systems after Leopard crashed their systems. Also, Leopard does not run on many systems, needs, what, 7 gigs of free space to install, and has problems with stand alone drives. The last apple ad made fun of the fact that Vista would not run on all systems and had troble with certain peripherals. But Leopard has EXACTLY the same issues.

I have three macs but mac users are almost a cult and the cult is unlikely to warn users not to rush to install a new operating system before the dust settles.

I've had a problem with Leopard apparently trashing my Epson print driver, for the R2400. I've posted this in a separate thread, but in essence, I had to reinstall the print driver to get the R2400 to work at all, and then discovered that the driver can't handle B&W images under Epson's "advanced B&W" mode (which is why I bought the printer in the first place! :rolleyes: )

Epson are promising an updated-for-Leopard driver "in November". Meanwhile I'm without a printer. Is anyone else having this issue?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Epson are promising an updated-for-Leopard driver "in November". Meanwhile I'm without a printer. Is anyone else having this issue?

Guy,

I have just downloaded the new driver for the Epson R2400 and Leopard from here :

Epson America, Inc. - Support: Macintosh Leopard Support

In the Step by Step just selct the R2400 and it will take you to the new driver.

Regards

Eric

My MacPro is my seventh Mac in a long line stretching back to the Mac Plus in 1986. I have learned not to be an early adopter but I certainly wish to thank all those pioneers with the arrows in their backs for blazing the trail. :D

These days, when I get around to updating my system, I always use a cloned copy of my boot drive and run the new system for a while before committing to it. I don't usually upgrade until or unless a new app or app upgrade requires it. I didn't upgrade to Tiger until 10.4.8 was required by CS3 and I am in no hurry for Leopard.

Based on the reports of the early adopters and others with system problems, I have learned to be quite paranoid about updates, shareware, freeware, anything that runs as a startup app, and especially anything made by Symantec. My paranoia has been rewarded by mostly trouble free computing, last having to reformat my boot drive due to problems upgrading my MacII to the IIFX back in '91 or thereabouts.

George Deliz

Initially I was fine, although within 48-hours, it tanked my system. After 18-months without any problems, I noticed excessive heat (fans running) slow performance, hang on restart, etc. I reverted to backup 10.4.10. Somehow, I also lost my original log-in data (profile) here on the forum and I had to start from scratch. My former user name: "Digital Dude". Actually, I feel pretty stupid since I’ve been with Apple since 1984 and I should have known better.

Regards,:mad:

Never, ever be an early adopter.

Was it Lazarus Long that said, "Never try anything new. Wait and see if somebody dies from it first"?

Guy,

I have just downloaded the new driver for the Epson R2400 and Leopard from here :

Epson America, Inc. - Support: Macintosh Leopard Support

In the Step by Step just selct the R2400 and it will take you to the new driver.

Regards

Eric

Eric, I don't think this is the new driver. It was posted on 02.07.2006, which I think is the same date as the driver I downloaded from the Epson UK site. Certainly it hasn't fixed my crummy B&W printing. Have you tried printing in Advanced B&W mode, and has it worked for you? That's where my trouble is at the moment.

On the UK site they do specifically mention that there will be a Leopard driver released in November, so maybe they're aware of this. Hope so... :(

Several of my friends have had to reinstall entire mac systems after Leopard crashed their systems. Also, Leopard does not run on many systems, needs, what, 7 gigs of free space to install, and has problems with stand alone drives. The last apple ad made fun of the fact that Vista would not run on all systems and had troble with certain peripherals. But Leopard has EXACTLY the same issues.

I have three macs but mac users are almost a cult and the cult is unlikely to warn users not to rush to install a new operating system before the dust settles.

Well, 7Gb of space is nothing when a Terabyte drive costs $300.

"Leopard does not run on many systems" - Wrong

"and has problems with stand alone drives" - No it doesn't, and do you mean EXTERNAL drives? Please keep the terminology str8, hmmm?

"The last apple ad made fun of the fact that Vista would not run on all systems and had troble with certain peripherals. But Leopard has EXACTLY the same issues." - It's a new OS, what do you expect, silly-pooh? Until the drivers catch up with it people are going to whine. I'm keeping my G5 tower with 10.4 for now and will upgrade when I buy my next Mac, or perhaps after the first of the year. All I need right now is to just add a bit of RAM and I'll be happy with what I have for some time to come.

"mac users are almost a cult and the cult is unlikely to warn users not to rush to install a new operating system before the dust settles" Ya... Ok. :confused:

Well, 7Gb of space is nothing when a Terabyte drive costs $300.

"Leopard does not run on many systems" - Wrong

"and has problems with stand alone drives" - No it doesn't, and do you mean EXTERNAL drives? Please keep the terminology str8, hmmm?

"The last apple ad made fun of the fact that Vista would not run on all systems and had troble with certain peripherals. But Leopard has EXACTLY the same issues." - It's a new OS, what do you expect, silly-pooh? Until the drivers catch up with it people are going to whine. I'm keeping my G5 tower with 10.4 for now and will upgrade when I buy my next Mac, or perhaps after the first of the year. All I need right now is to just add a bit of RAM and I'll be happy with what I have for some time to come.

"mac users are almost a cult and the cult is unlikely to warn users not to rush to install a new operating system before the dust settles" Ya... Ok. :confused:

Have to say that I'm with scjohn on this one. I bought the family pack of Leopard and installed it on a Macbook, a Macbook Pro and a MacMini. The mini and the pro upgraded just fine. It crashed my wife's Macbook four times straight (corrupting the original OS in the process) and in the end I had to boot the Macbook in Target Disk mode and install the OS upgrade across a firewire cable from my Macbook Pro. NOT good. And now, as I've already said, Leopard seems to have killed my Epson R2400.

I'm very much one of the Mac faithful, but this sort of thing really dents our smugness. There's a direct analogy to being a Leica user: you expect better than this kind of stuff... :mad:

The only good thing about my week so far is that the M8 is back from Solms and its 50mm Summilux now focuses right. Of course it should have focused right to start with. But then I guess you'd say it was a new lens so what did I expect, silly-pooh... :rolleyes:

... It crashed my wife's Macbook four times straight (corrupting the original OS in the process) and in the end I had to boot the Macbook in Target Disk mode and install the OS upgrade across a firewire cable from my Macbook Pro...

I wonder what's causing this? I upgraded without a problem on my Macbook. It's strange to me that Leopard seems to cause some people (myself included, knocking on wood...) no problems but all sorts of problems for other people.

The discussion over Leopard in a photographic context got me thinking. The first configurable computer I owned was the MacII which I bought in 1988. The computer, with 1mb of Ram and a floppy drive cost $3500. I added 4mb of Ram for $1600, a 100mb hard drive for $900, a 13’’ monitor for $800, and an 8bit video card for $350. Total cost $7150.

At 1988 prices the 8Gig of Ram in my MacPro would be worth about $3.2million and the 2Tb of hard drive capacity would be worth about $15million . Based on the price and performance of the Cray Y-MP supercomputer of 1988, my MacPro motherboard (with the floating point performance of 17 Y-MPs) would be worth about $55million, bringing the total value of my system to $73.2 million.

Now suppose that, back in 1988, I had expressed a fantasy about having such a $75million computer system someday , someone had asked me what I would use it for, and I had answered that I would use it primarily to develop and print my photographs? LOL

George Deliz

The discussion over Leopard in a photographic context got me thinking. The first configurable computer I owned was the MacII which I bought in 1988. The computer, with 1mb of Ram and a floppy drive cost $3500. I added 4mb of Ram for $1600, a 100mb hard drive for $900, a 13’’ monitor for $800, and an 8bit video card for $350. Total cost $7150.

At 1988 prices the 8Gig of Ram in my MacPro would be worth about $3.2million and the 2Tb of hard drive capacity would be worth about $15million . Based on the price and performance of the Cray Y-MP supercomputer of 1988, my MacPro motherboard (with the floating point performance of 17 Y-MPs) would be worth about $55million, bringing the total value of my system to $73.2 million.

Now suppose that, back in 1988, I had expressed a fantasy about having such a $75million computer system someday , someone had asked me what I would use it for, and I had answered that I would use it primarily to develop and print my photographs? LOL

George Deliz

Brilliant! don't forget e-mail. ;>)

I don't feel that Apple needs defending, but I do think it should be mentioned that the developer version of Leopard was released several months ago, so there is really no reason for driver and software updates not to be ready now. FWIW, I installed Leopard on my Mac at the office on Monday, and that same day Epson had a driver update for my printer online.

Bill