Sign in to follow this  
mwalker649

Mac Leopard

Guest guy_mancuso

I pulled them out manually and deleted them but i am wondering if there still stuck in there. i need to go into the single user mode and try it that way. Honestly i think there is more to it

I upgraded yesterday, and had no problems. Aperture does require a 1.5.6 update and I made sure that was installed before the upgrade.

The main points I upgraded are as follows:

1) Unix 03 certified!!!!

2) 64-bit binary for Intel Dou Core 2 based PCs

3) The enhanced graphic subsystem (core animation)

4) Stable non-beta version of Safari v3

The other bells and whistles are nice but not too important to me. I will say I'm not a fan of the translucent menu bar, and the new 3D dock is a complete java looking glass dock knock off, but that's ok

Now if they ever get around to finalizing java 1.6 I'll be happy truly

I'd ordered the upgrade though Amazon and luckily it's currently back ordered becasue of another item on the order. The Alien Skin problem is a show stopper for me. Time to cancel the order!

Imageprint is not yet compatible with Leopard including the newest version 7.0 which has just been released.

Eizo's color monitor software is also not compatible. You get a message saying that the monitor cannot be detected.

I had installed Leopard but given the problems reinstalled Tiger. I am sure that Apple will get it right but until then, and until the OEM's get their drivers up to date I don't find the features of Leopard to be worth the hassles.

Woody Spedden

I love apple but if there's one thing I've learned than it's Never, Ever buy a new release, hard or software, when it first comes out. Always wait a few month.

One small improvement I've noticed with Leopard is that I now get thumbnail images of photos downlaoded from the card on to the desktop.

Gerard

With a fairly simple configuration, the loaned out dual g4, personal G5 and MacBook pro all work well. I did apply the Aperture update to the two boxes with the software installed just before installing the newer OS.

Everything, save for... Well... Just about everything is fine- and working well- perhaps even faster.

Except World of Warcraft... Which on the Dual G5 needed some reconfiguration to allow for higher frame rates. I believe that this version of the OS makes so much use of the accelerated bits on the video card that applications which make use of those resources are more constrained. I've no proof of that, of course.

Otherwise, it's fine. Nice to have preview-type icons.

Version 10.4 also has thumbnail photo icons; you just need to set it up that way in the finder.

Larry

Guest guy_mancuso

I just did it all over again on install and just used my MBP laptops backup to migrate from and all is well. Must have had something from desktop that was giving it a hard time to get rid of the blue screen issue besides what Apple suggests on the fix for it.

Guest guy_mancuso

No i buried it with erase and install. Something was funky. Running perfect now except my Razor Mouse 1.6 looks like it may need a update, acts weird on reboot , no scroll , no right click unless a click on the razor preference first. Weird other than that i boot within 30 seconds . had to redo most passwords though and reactivate CS3

I have a pair of laptops, an old G4 Powerbook that I inherited when the bride got a new MacBook.

Thus, I bot a family pack and tried it on the G4, first. Leopard installed just fine, disabling the airport hardware at this time. I have a date with an Apple genius on Thursday nite to see what's going on.

It *is* possible that the hardware failed during the sw upgrade........ and I'll find out in only 2 days.

Thanks, Francisco. I found the following and am testing it now:

Leopard: AirPort cards not recognized, slow speeds

Droves of users are reporting AirPort difficulties after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). The most serious issue is one where AirPort cards are not recognized, disallowing access to wireless Internet services. Another group of users is reporting extremely slow throughput for AirPort connections.

If your AirPort card is not recognized, navigate to /System/Library/Extensions and drag the following files (if they exist) to the Desktop or another location outside the System folder (you will need to hold down the Command key while dragging the file to move it if you are not an administrator):

* AppleAirport2.kext

* AppleAirportFW.kext

Do not delete AppleAirPort.kext.

Restart your Mac and check for restoration of AirPort connectivity

Unfortunately, it does not appear that the same fix applies for slower-than-normal AirPort throughput.

MacFixIt reader Steve Epstein writes:

"The Login and Keychain update has not fixed the issue many are having with Airport after the Leopard update. My iMac G4 (1Ghz, 768MB) used to be able to see an Airport Express with AirTunes without difficulty, and had a fast 802.11g internet connection through a Belkin router. Since the Leopard update, the iMac rarely (5% of the time and sporadically at that) can see the Airport Express, Airtunes is unusable, and the internet connection is slow at best.

"Evidently, the problem is not limited to G4 PPC machines, though the majority of the problems seem to be with these machines."

If you are experiencing a similar problem, you may want to inspect the comprehensive list of fixes contained in our wireless troubleshooting tutorial. If you are still experiencing issues, please let us know.

SO far, No Good. I still have my appt with the Apple genius on Thur evening.

My dual G5 died a horrible death with the blue screen, but a clean install on my second internal HD seemed to bring it back to life. Unfortunately, I lost a lot of things, like cookies, bookmarks, email attachments, etc. in the process, but at least the machine is working.

My MacBook, while it upgraded with no apparent problems, will no longer go to sleep (so I have to shut it down and reboot it each time - a real joy), and is unbelievably slow over the wireless network connection.

It also appears, although I haven't confirmed this on all my Macs, that Lightroom will not print in Leopard. Anyone else have that problem?

Bill

I have a 3 macs including a G5 a powermac and an iMac for my kids. Lets begin with that. Lets add that I have so often read about "teflon Presidents"... guys nothing sticks to. None EVER had ANYTHING on Apple. If Microsoft EVER had a launch with the "little bugs" the apple crowd shrugs off, the world would march in protest and apple would have 20 times the commercials making fun of microsoft it has already.

I installed Leopard on the powermac. After that experience and reading apple's own warnings I can't risk updating the G5. ALL of my images are on a stand alone drive and the warnings about that (considering seperate drives are EVERYONE's only backup) are too horrifying for my blood.

Apple will come thru it. Just like aperture came to support the M8 but BE CAREFUL! Apple is anything but perfect and its loyal minions can never be counted on to warn you to "be afraid. Be very afraid."

I have a few machines and so far have updated one macbook. Initially had the Lightroom problem where I couldn't get to the print module but have since solved it (finally upgraded to 1.2). I just did a straight updgrade not an archive and install.

I bought it for time machine but haven't tried that out yet. At first I was having trouble with spaces and how to move a file from one space to another. Figured it with the guys at Apple and now that is one of my favorite enhancements. Much nicer for having multiple apps open at once.

Coverflow is useful but I haven't used it enough yet.

I like the idea of stationery in mail but all of the templates are much too hokey. I would love to drag and drop in a couple of photos at the top of an email without the rest of the template that currently goes along with it. For instance to have an email template that is similar to some of the nice page layouts from a blurb (blurb.com) book

I installed Leopard on the powermac. After that experience and reading apple's own warnings I can't risk updating the G5. ALL of my images are on a stand alone drive and the warnings about that (considering seperate drives are EVERYONE's only backup) are too horrifying for my blood.

I have two external drives. I powered them both down during the (second) upgrade, and they are both now working fine. No problems there at all. However, I would be careful upgrading a G5 machine, just to be safe. A clean install on a freshly formatted HD seems to be the way to go.

Bill