Mac Leopard

mwalker649

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're using Alien Skin's Exposure plug-in for Photoshop it is not yet compatible with Leopard and causes Photoshop to crash if you try to use it. The official word is that an update will be available by December. Though I wrote them today and got a beta version of the Leopard-compatible plug-in ("untested" according to Alien Skin) which appears to be working well. I've only had it for a few hours though so I wouldn't say I've really put it fully through its paces yet.

Admins: This thread should probably be moved to the general digital section as I'm pretty sure this is of interest to more people than we M8 users.

One more thing to keep in mind is that you DO NOT want to use Apple's Aperture with Time Machine. You can cause all kinds of problems with the two. Aperture should be backed up via vaults. Go into the system preferences --> Time Machine --> options and add the aperture library to items not backed up (the default location is inside /Users/your-user-name-/Pictures/Aperture Library.aplibrary if you moved it then it will be where ever you moved it to)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I found it necessary to use the Archive and Install feature to get it to work. Now my Photo Mechanic will not work with it. I have emailed Camera Bits, but have not heard from them. I would hold off installing it if I were doing it over again. DR

Initially I was fine, although within 48-hours, it tanked my system. After 18-months without any problems, I noticed excessive heat (fans running) slow performance, hang on restart, etc. I reverted to backup 10.4.10. Somehow, I also lost my original log-in data (profile) here on the forum and I had to start from scratch. My former user name: "Digital Dude". Actually, I feel pretty stupid since I’ve been with Apple since 1984 and I should have known better.

Regards,:mad:

I upgraded to Leopard on launch day. I ran into the "blue screen on boot" issue following the Upgrade install requiring a second Archive install. That second (re-)install went fine, all settings were retained in C1LE except the ColorSync profiles which were removed from the various Library locations as part of the Archive Install. Had to reinstall JFI profiles, etc.

Otherwise, C1LE is running fine, C1 4.0 beta runs at the same slow pace it ran under 10.4.10.

Regarding Aperture (I don't own it), does anyone know if they took the opportunity as part of Leopard to update the M8 RAW profile to reflect the newer firmware color values?

What are the positives with Leopard?

Positives:

Finder is more responsive (less spinning beach balls) due to changes to network and file handling processes

Search/Spotlight is faster

I actually enjoy running through my photo library in Cover Flow mode as you can quickly preview the images w/o launching your photo app of choice.

I am curious: which of Leopards features are important to users here? I too have been using the Mac since 1984, but cannot find a convincing reason to upgrade this time out.

In addition to the positives I mentioned above, I personally upgraded for the Time Machine backup feature which is a lot easier to use than the Backup utility and/or Retrospect, etc. As a long time Mac user myself (1987), I also like to play with the newest OS but from a wider audience perspective, backup is true "must have" feature. The rest of the features are architectural groundwork (for 10.6) and OS cleanup/stability/UI candy.

I am curious: which of Leopards features are important to users here? I too have been using the Mac since 1984, but cannot find a convincing reason to upgrade this time out.

Struggling to find a really compelling reason for photography. If I had to produce a business case for upgrading any number of desktops from OSX 10.4.x I would really struggle! Time Machine should help us, but it's compatibility with Aperture is dubious at present.

Cover Flow is nice, but if you use Aperture or Lightroom then you probably don't care. You may be able to delete some images before import by previewing them in the Finder, but this is hardly justification to upgrade.

It is a bit faster and so far stable, but then I've only been using Leopard for a couple of days so difficult to qualify yet. Aperture still works fine (with upgrade) as does Photoshop CS3 so no issues - and no differences.

I have found the tweaked Mail app much better than before with its Notes and RSS capabilities. Several of the user interface tweaks are good too. From my perspective it is a more polished user experience, slightly faster and several more of the "why didn't it do that already?" features added.

Having said that, I feel more comfortable with the update. Can I fully justify it? No, except I like it.

One of the main reasons I upgraded is for Time Machine, but I (along with many others, judging from the Apple discussion groups) am completely unable to get it to work.

It errors out after (at max) 2.2 GB on the initial backup. I've tried all the recommended methods for formatting the drive (I tried two different 500GB HDDs) but so far no joy!

One of the main reasons I upgraded is for Time Machine, but I (along with many others, judging from the Apple discussion groups) am completely unable to get it to work.

It errors out after (at max) 2.2 GB on the initial backup. I've tried all the recommended methods for formatting the drive (I tried two different 500GB HDDs) but so far no joy!

I had the same problem with it. I just left it and it finally did complete the initial backup by sunday. So far it has chewed up about 375 gig of my 500 gig external. It seems that you really need a much bigger drive to make it worthwhile.

Guest guy_mancuso

I still have blue screen it lasts about 3 minutes than kicks over , MBP is perfect but MacPro has this blue screen issue still and i did erase and install than migrate . Not sure what i should do about it now. Starting a project that i don't want to screw around with too much but I may try it one more time with install. Worst case i would just load all my applications again. I do have full backup on firewire drive and time machine so can always go back. waiting for update from Apple