New M6 article by Jono.

5 minutes ago, Huss said:

Jono's new M6 scratches film!!!!!!

Waaaaay worse than mine!!!! oh my goodness.  Just click on the first pics, and click again for full resolution.  It is like a crime scene.

That is bad scratching, don't have the time to read the article yet but oh my..............

Advertisement (gone after registration)

WOW!  That's really bad and it's difficult for me to believe that the camera did that as opposed to a processing problem.  I will readily admit to being a Leica fan in the original film days and in the M10 and beyond digital days but this really starts me wondering about the marque overall.  Pretty sad...😢

Interestingly, In looking at all the pics in the article, I see scratches in some, not in others...puzzling.🤔

Edited by Mikep996
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mikep996 said:

WOW!  That's really bad and it's difficult for me to believe that the camera did that as opposed to a processing problem.  I will readily admit to being a Leica fan in the original film days and in the M10 and beyond digital days but this really starts me wondering about the marque overall.  Pretty sad...😢

Not a processing problem.  Mine was like that.  And Leica admitted a 'bad batch of pressure plates'.

Interesting that he notes his 2022 M6 have rounded corners on the rangefinder patch and frame lines, similar to the M11 and different from the MP. On my 2022 M6 manufactured 11/03/2022 I have the square corners on the patch and frame lines and not the rounded ones he noticed.

7 minutes ago, mosh1 said:

I noticed the Printfile sleeves I put my negatives in leave horizontal scratches. Probably on insertion or removal. So there are many things that can scratch the film depending on what happened before getting scanned.

I have used literally thousands of printfile sleeves and have never had them scratch.

Also don't forget - Leica admitted there is a bad batch of pressure plates.  Sometimes the most obvious answer is the one right in front of you.

Edited by Huss

41 minutes ago, Mikep996 said:

Interestingly, In looking at all the pics in the article, I see scratches in some, not in others...puzzling.🤔

That's how mine was too.  The scratches were mostly near the end of the film, but would happen at other places too.

29 minutes ago, Huss said:

I have used literally thousands of printfile sleeves and have never had them scratch.

Same here.  The only way I can see them scratching the film is if there was already some piece of grit on the film that was dragged across the film as it was put into the sleeve, or something abrasive was deposited inside the sleeve through some other means.  But it's never happened to me.  

14 minutes ago, malligator said:

Don't know the source of the pics, but he doesn't have and has not used a new M6.

First of all, I haven’t tested this camera. There isn’t so much need to test a film camera, so I’ve not had one sent my way. I thought it was a great idea, but I didn’t know the full details until visiting Dublin for the LSI Meeting in October, where Stefan Daniel was carrying the new camera with the 35 Summilux V1 attached.

I’m afraid I fell head over heels in love, and as soon as I got home, I placed my order for a camera. Supply was short, and I had to wait my turn; I received my own camera just in time for Christmas.

Therefore, this article is not a review in any sense of the word (I’ve only just discovered that the opportunity of running down the battery is the same as on the original M6). However, I have been doing some research and asking Leica questions, and hopefully, I can offer some interesting observations on the new Leica M6.

These statements puzzled me as well.  There may be something odd about the way that first paragraph is worded.  But the second paragraph makes it clear that he did purchase a new M6 and took delivery of it around Christmas.  His responses in the comments section also make it clear that the posted photos are his and he developed the film himself:

I’ve been having lots of fun with my M6 – Also developing some of my own film (all the ones in the article)

7 minutes ago, logan2z said:

These statements puzzled me as well.  There may be something odd about the way that first paragraph is worded.  But the second paragraph makes it clear that he did purchase a new M6 and took delivery of it around Christmas.  His responses in the comments section also make it clear that the posted photos are his and he developed the film himself:

I’ve been having lots of fun with my M6 – Also developing some of my own film (all the ones in the article)

That is weird. I've withdrawn my comment.