I love my M8, but it is rubbish

Verbatim666

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is rubbish, but worth it. Seriously, everyone of us face the same thing, but it is not too hard to get the UV/IR filter (maybe except the E49) and then wait for the 2 free ones to come. Picture jumping, no SDHC support (yet), unavailability of some lenses, almost unusable "AWB" to me can be overcome or are minor irritations.

I have never looked back.

Sorry you didn't like my photo. I was 5-600 Meters from the action. It was getting dark and I was shooting with a Summicron 28mm at F2. I guess I should have used a better camera.

Jim

Jim,

What did you use to process the file? The fringing on that image are horrible and bears absolutely no similarity to the types of images I get, even under extreme situations, with any of my lenses - Leica or otherwise. As mentioned, we all hope that the process of putting the image up on the web or post-processing made it look like this because that's not typical at all. No disrespect but my cell phone images look better than this particular posted example and I KNOW that your M8/Summicron will produce beautiful images.

So, your cell phone takes better photos than I do with my M8. How about posting some of your work.

Jim

James, rather than being so defensive, have a look at your own photo you posted. gwelland asked very valid questions regarding post processing / method of upload etc.Technically your photo quality is horrible and you do yourself and the M8 no justice if you intend it to represent your work or equipment.

I have the 28 cron and there's no way it produces pictures like that. My guess is that it's a cropped section from a much bigger file? since you were 5-600 metres away with a 28........

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This forum is starting to sound like the unhappy bunch at Photo.net. Luckily we have a wonderful feature called the "ignore list", which allows us to skip right past the habitually obnoxious.

Just like with TV, the best censorship is by the consumer!

I guess the proof that the M8 really IS a Leica is the fact that it draws so much ire from those who don't own one!

This forum is starting to sound like the unhappy bunch at Photo.net

It's cyclical. There'll be a spate of complaints and then it settles down. A month or two later it'll start again.

People do seem to be very defensive about the M8 though. I find the best therapy to go out and take some photographs.

As for photo.net, the Leica forum there is dying with only a handful of posts each day. There were/are some people there with terrible attitudes, and I'm not surprised it's in such a state. Trolls coupled with over zealous moderation have nearly killed it off.

Honestly, why would someone post a crop like that (without any further information) to prove a point?

After you took your time to explain the circumstances it's IMO still not impressive, but understandable and actually proves the point that there is still a lot information, even if you need to crop excessively.

Regarding the cell phone comment: I can totally relate to that, it was my first impression of the presented crop as well. "Damn, someone tries to *%§$ with us and posts a cellphone image".

Dirk

You guys are on drugs. Over half a kilometre away with a 28mm? That is pretty good. Would like to see the full frame.

Rob, would you have said that without any info about distance and circumstances, but

I love my M8!! I have a Nikon D200 with a 70-200 2.8. Its heavy, my M8 with a 28mm 2.0 summicron is not. Who says you can't do sports with a Lieca RF!!!

? :D

So, your cell phone takes better photos than I do with my M8. How about posting some of your work.

Jim

Ok then, here's a little something from last Thursday evening. M8 135/3.4 Telyt

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

or M8 CV Nokton 35/1.2

• Like 1

A couple of touristy shots from China that show just how horrible the M8 is .... :p

M8 28/2 & 75/2 Summicrons:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

{snipped}As for picky dslr's that's true - but I can be in almost any reasonable size city it the US at least find an equipment rental house that can pinch hit for the Canon or Nikon or Hassy or whatever. I can't say that would be the case with Leica.

Karen--

You're absolutely right on this; sorry to have conflated your remarks with the ones just previous to yours. The rental house situation is a reality; I don't know where I'd go to rent Leica equipment at all let alone an M8, which are still in pretty short supply.

Do you mind me asking about the "dinged shutter?" I'm assuming you just saw shutter failure. That's a huge drag, and I can't believe the camera had to go overseas for a replacement, or that NJ couldn't set you up with a loaner.

Areas for Leica improvement for sure.

I guess that in the final analysis something is wonderful "rubbish" if its owner sees it as such. As I noted earlier here disappointment with the M8 is understandable and shared by many. The M8 is what it is and no amount of jabber will make it otherwise.

But, as is apparent from Graham's lovely scenic and travel images, the M8 is capable of being used for wonderful photography. The Web is an entirely inadequate medium of evaluating this premise at any technical level. So evidence presented here is, as best, weak. But although this is not an appropriate forum for posting images (and although I rarely post any images anywhere) I think that it's nevertheless appropriate to post a few examples of what an M8 can do onto the (hopefully) tail of this thread which has such a sharp-elbowed title.

This image of Magdalena Abakanowicz's "Agora" installation will be published next spring with a body of images I'm currently assembling for this large book project (using a variety of cameras, including my M8). The 13x19 print of this image retains an extraordinary amount of detail on even the back-most figures.

77792309.jpg

Or how about this image of Frank Gehry's Pritzker Pavillion:

74549515.jpg

The current banner image of my PBase galleries, of the Grant Park Symphony Orchestra rehearsal is an M8 image. Several of my past banner images are also M8 images.

And so on.

Justifying an M8 can be an exercise in uphill sledding. But with practice and care it can be used for fine photography. (I am NOT presenting my images as examples of that; merely as hints of what is possible in better hands than mine.)

In my experience, Leica pro service in NJ (from Canada) was just as good and quick as CPS in Canada. So I'm not sure what the point is here Karen. "Dampening the sound [of the shutter]" is hardly an inhibitor to pro use, and neither is the lack of PC connection (thought I would like that). Neither have anything to do with consistency. As for glitches, well, my 1 series all had glitches too. When they worked they were consistent.... just like my M8.

Still trying to figure out how to cram both a pc connector and a finder onto that hotshoe. IMO overlooking a pc connection was a dumb move.

I guess Leica service blew it for me when I sent my 28 cron in for coding. After 8 weeks it returned with a 24mm mount. Even with bluster from my dealer it took another two weeks after that to correct the mistake. Should have been turned around in a day IMO.

Anyway, it does take really nice images, and one does learn how to shoot with it after awhile (like framing much tighter, exposing to the left, etc).

I guess I've just been one of the unlucky ones when it comes to the mechanical build. Of course every camera I've owned has been to service at one time or another, it's just that the M8 has been much more trying esp with all the hidden costs such as UV/IR filters, coding lenses, etc. I wish one could rent spare bodies and lenses (for example a WATE is really really out of my price range, esp now.) but I doubt it will ever be.

Oh, and I forgot - let's hope the M9 has a non-menu iso setting. I know this will sound like heresy, but I wouldn't mind the camera being slightly taller if it means more robust (my M7 with motor is still more compact than any dslr and has a real nice balance to it). I don't foresee a FF and that has always been a non-issue for me. Better high iso performance would be nice, but the reason I shoot Leica M is for the performance of the lenses wide open therefore allowing one to keep the iso down. I think Leica got it 80% right, and that is better than most. With the M9 they could really blow people away. Let's hope so.

Karen--

You're absolutely right on this; sorry to have conflated your remarks with the ones just previous to yours. The rental house situation is a reality; I don't know where I'd go to rent Leica equipment at all let alone an M8, which are still in pretty short supply.

Do you mind me asking about the "dinged shutter?" I'm assuming you just saw shutter failure. That's a huge drag, and I can't believe the camera had to go overseas for a replacement, or that NJ couldn't set you up with a loaner.

Areas for Leica improvement for sure.

Jamie

No problem. I started a thread about it when I saw it. It's a small ding - not hole or rip, but a ding - outwards too which is rather mysterious. Nothing had been done to it - same 3 lens setup, nothing at all that could explain it. Although I could continue to shoot - it would feel too much like a time bomb waiting to go off, I contacted Leica NJ immediately. The shutter thread goes on in some detail, so I don't know how much you would want to read. As far as the loaner program, well I must say it's a bit of a joke. Not sure of the value of a loaner program without loaners, but there we go. I understand that Leica does not have a large enough segment of the pro market for rental houses to bother with. But, if Leica wants to stay even on the radar for the pro market, they need some kind of provision for rental or loaners from Leica to fill that need. Back to the 200lb dslr's until some news from Leica. :o