I love my M8, but it is rubbish

Verbatim666

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think Simon is perfectly entitled to post his experience as a new user here. After all all those who bought their M8s 3-6-9 months ago enjoyed that privilege.

In fact it is very important that new users continue to post, negative as well as positive comments, otherwise we will all assume, wrongly, that Leica have solved these problems.

This public forum is great feedback for Leica. If there are still problems with new M8s then it is no use glossing over them or sticking your heads in the sand.

Leaving all else aside, the M8 is an expensive camera and simply should not go wrong as often as it appears to do.

Jeff

Yes he is entitled to post his problems but for him to say the camera is rubbish IS RUBBISH.

Scratch screen, well I own 4 digital cameras and the only one I ever scratched the screen on is my black M8. It happened 2 or 3 days after getting it. I have no idea how it happened, I think it was my belt buckle. I use the chrome one more and have never scratched the screen. Shit happens then you die.

If he is so displeased with the camera then maybe he should sell it and move on.

This advice has been given to many poster on this and other forums and IMHO I think it is good advice.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish he and every other M8 owner who feels like posting their rant here, presented to a group of people who are not somehow collectively Leica, would just take the camera back. There is no reason to be dissatisfied. You can keep the camera or take it back, but posting rant after rant here instead of sending a letter to Leica is getting really old. This is not a Leica Dissatisfieds Anonymous forum.

Or, if I am wrong, I will take my leave. I am tired of complainers who don't try to solve problems. If that is the way it should be here, then I am gone. I am here to find information, not bitching.

Well something which can be screwed back together is not rubbish. I grant that this lens should be replaced, and was not in order, but it did get replaced. It shouldn't happen, but such things happen anyway. The real test is how the company handles it when things go wrong. Leica has been very honest about the problems.

I am still waiting for an IR cut filter, 2 months after ordering it.

Don't worry, we ALL waited months for our filters! Nothing special, although it depends a lot on which sizes you ordered and whether Leica had received a batch of that size.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well something which can be screwed back together is not rubbish. I grant that this lens should be replaced, and was not in order, but it did get replaced. It shouldn't happen, but such things happen anyway. The real test is how the company handles it when things go wrong. Leica has been very honest about the problems.

I have to agree with Carsten. Yes it is not pleasant to get a new lens, or in my case getting a newish lens and after sending it in for coding, have it come apart. I have had this happen on several Leica lenses. One specifically a brand new 75 Cron that I sent in to see if the aperture ring could be tightened. When I got it back and mounted a filter to it and then removed the filter the front of the lens came off with the filter. This also happened on a 135/2.8 Elmarit that had extensive work done on it. Screw adapter ring on then filter and when removing the filter the front of the lens unscrewed.

No big deal I just screwed it back on.

Don't worry, we ALL waited months for our filters! Nothing special, although it depends a lot on which sizes you ordered and whether Leica had received a batch of that size.

For my customers, I sold them the correct size IR filters and allowed them to return the "free" ones to me for full credit when they received them from Leica. This way, they'd have the filters from day 1 and not have to spend extra. I image that other dealers might have done the same.

David

For sure the Leica M8 request patience from the user.

Patience to wait for filters, patience to get lenses and camera calibrated (if necessary), patience until Leica gave us the right profiles and firmware (regarding cyan corners).

If you bring the patience its a great tool.

Leica 28s are notorious for having the front bit come unscrewed. Real easy to tighten the screws with a jewelers screwdriver. This happens to my 28 Cron all the time, and it's been back to Leica twice. This used to happen to an older 28 Elmarit I had. I guess the best solution would be to put a drop of Loctite on the screws. The screws coming loose don't affect the performance in anyway and I've never had them drop out. But he should return it if he feels that it is a real problem for him.

Yes, rubbish is too strong a word. But, being a longtime pro user of M's, I can't say I'm bowled over by the M8. Maybe when it finally spends more time in my hands then Solms' I will be. Apart from that It's really the frameline issue that niggles me the most. Hopefully someday Leica will offer a replacement on those.

I can understand electronic issues - Leica really should have spent another 6 months in r&d before releasing it - but some really stupid decisions on their part as far as the mechanics of the camera ie the framelines, no pc socket, trying to dampen the shutter sound more, etc. For a legacy camera maker these are pretty unforgiveable in my book.

Nonetheless, it does create stunning files and its form factor is one of a kind. That said, for commercial work I have my eye on the new Nikon D3. My M8 may ultimately get sacrificed for one even though it would make me sad.

I am new to Leica, always had SLRs. A practica when 10, then Yashica, contax and finally Canon. I have enjoyed them all. Never broken a camera.

bought a Canon 600mmLIS f4 for birding, the tripod mount collar lock was broken on arrival, but it was replaced with a brand new lens the very next day, so no complaints from me.

the Leica is a completely different beast and I do like it - a much better 'snap shot camera'! People don't notice it like a big SLR.

It is only 2 weeks old, but has locked up a couple of times, shows a different picture from the one i have just taken on the instant review! and has given me black and red zebra stripes across the viewfinder.

The camera is currently unusable in colour as Leica haven't yet sent me the IR blocking filters. The purple blacks are laughable - what were leica thinking to release the camera like that? What sort of customer service makes you wait for the filter on a product this expensive? Absolutely incredible and Leica deserve to go bust for that alone.

I have scratched the monitor screen in just 2 weeks. We currently have 8 digital cameras with screens in this house ranging from an EOS 1D3 to a fuji point and shoot - haven't managed to scratch the monitor on any of them.

All these are issues with the M8, and I can understand Leica are a small company and are learning about digital so maybe I can cut them some slack.

but now my 28mm lens has gone 'wobbly', the lens elements have come loose. This is Leica's optics, something they are supposed to be able to do in their sleep. (perhaps they did do it in their sleep?). I am not being offered a replacement by tomorrow as I was with the faulty canon lens.

As I said, I am new to rangefinders. I have always used SLRS and am used to their ways. I can definitely see the strengths of a rangefinder in certain types of photography and I enjoy its difference. But quite frankly, given that I have just spent £5000 on the camera and 2 lenses, its a joke.

One could understand an overpriced, idiosyncratic product for the wealthy to buy as a toy. but the customer service should be exemplary and it isn't - it isn't the dealers fault, he isn't getting the support from Leica. If it is really a professional product then it needs to produce the goods, which it doesn't.

With Leica clearly not being too concerned about this level of service, I really question how long they will survive.

Why is it always Canon people? They are like Neocons...

Hey OM, if it's only two weeks old and you don't like it, then take it back. :D

Leica 28s are notorious for having the front bit come unscrewed. Real easy to tighten the screws with a jewelers screwdriver. This happens to my 28 Cron all the time, and it's been back to Leica twice. This used to happen to an older 28 Elmarit I had. I guess the best solution would be to put a drop of Loctite on the screws. The screws coming loose don't affect the performance in anyway and I've never had them drop out. But he should return it if he feels that it is a real problem for him.

Yes, rubbish is too strong a word. But, being a longtime pro user of M's, I can't say I'm bowled over by the M8. Maybe when it finally spends more time in my hands then Solms' I will be. Apart from that It's really the frameline issue that niggles me the most. Hopefully someday Leica will offer a replacement on those.

I can understand electronic issues - Leica really should have spent another 6 months in r&d before releasing it - but some really stupid decisions on their part as far as the mechanics of the camera ie the framelines, no pc socket, trying to dampen the shutter sound more, etc. For a legacy camera maker these are pretty unforgiveable in my book.

Nonetheless, it does create stunning files and its form factor is one of a kind. That said, for commercial work I have my eye on the new Nikon D3. My M8 may ultimately get sacrificed for one even though it would make me sad.

Charles

I'm feeling very much the same way re my commercial work. I would rather not have to get rid of my M8, but whilst beautiful files are great - the realities for pro users are reliability, consistency with lenses and service turnaround.

I love my M8!! I have a Nikon D200 with a 70-200 2.8. Its heavy, my M8 with a 28mm 2.0 summicron is not. Who says you can't do sports with a Lieca RF!!!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Charles

I'm feeling very much the same way re my commercial work. I would rather not have to get rid of my M8, but whilst beautiful files are great - the realities for pro users are reliability, consistency with lenses and service turnaround.

In my experience, Leica pro service in NJ (from Canada) was just as good and quick as CPS in Canada. So I'm not sure what the point is here Karen. "Dampening the sound [of the shutter]" is hardly an inhibitor to pro use, and neither is the lack of PC connection (thought I would like that). Neither have anything to do with consistency. As for glitches, well, my 1 series all had glitches too. When they worked they were consistent.... just like my M8.

In my experience, Leica pro service in NJ (from Canada) was just as good and quick as CPS in Canada. So I'm not sure what the point is here Karen. "Dampening the sound [of the shutter]" is hardly an inhibitor to pro use, and neither is the lack of PC connection (thought I would like that). Neither have anything to do with consistency. As for glitches, well, my 1 series all had glitches too. When they worked they were consistent.... just like my M8.

I can affirm that my recent experience with NJ (for 6-bit coding) was excellent. Very responsive and great follow up.

I've used Leica lenses on and off since the 70's and never experienced any issues other then the occasional need for a CLA or focus calibration for lenses purchased used -to be expected for a 20 year old piece of equipment that may have never been serviced. So far the M8 has had 0 problems, glitches or done anything else other then what I ask it to do. Pretty much the same experience I had with my Canon 1Ds only I like using this camera a whole lot more.

There are some things I would have done differently -like analogue exterior controls for EV and ISO. I've never owned a camera that I would not have changed in some way if it was up to me.

A pc connection would be nice though strobes today (Hensel, Broncolor, Elinchrom) all have dedicated shoe mount senders that not only fire the flash which now have RF receivers but allow you to adjust the lamps. PC connectors are becoming a legacy item.

Jamie

I have never mentioned or cared about the sound of the shutter. Compared to a Contax 645 AF it's nothing. I have a work around for the pc connection - something I also have never mentioned. Glitches, venetian blinds etc - I've never mentioned once. However - a shutter blade with a ding in it - that's a problem. The inhibitor to pro use is not having the camera because it's in Germany - and guess what - pro loaner program has no loaner M8's. I have been a strong but mostly silent supporter of the M8. It's just a fact that I cannot rely on it completely and therefore feel I have to keep dslr's in my studio so that I can provide my clients with the work they expect, when they expect it. As for picky dslr's that's true - but I can be in almost any reasonable size city it the US at least find an equipment rental house that can pinch hit for the Canon or Nikon or Hassy or whatever. I can't say that would be the case with Leica.

I love my M8!! I have a Nikon D200 with a 70-200 2.8. Its heavy, my M8 with a 28mm 2.0 summicron is not. Who says you can't do sports with a Lieca RF!!!

James, I hope the transformation for web publishing did this, but the shot you posted looks not like a very good example for image quality. :eek: