Barnacks 11 film load

lmans

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently acquired a model 2 to go with my model 1… although I ran film through it, the film never advanced. ‘ I believe’ the reason is that after I slice some of the film off (20 notches or so), and then load onto spool… I need to make sure that the half sliced film section loads far enough to be clear of film canister itself ( felt lining) . If not, the film never advances as it has a tendency to become slightly crooked/ajar coming out of film canister and thus doesn’t advance, even though I turn the advance knob. True? Anyone have this issue?
For some reason I have not run into this issue on my model 1 even though reloading mechanism is the same. Jim

vor 5 Stunden schrieb lmans:

model 1 even though reloading mechanism is the same

yes, they are the same.Unless your IA is very early, under serial 11xxx (and not modified). Early IA had sprocket drum with one row only (left photo)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Probably you are doing it - after loading spanning the film with rewind knob. What is helpful as well is to remove the lens, set speed to Z, release and check if film sprockets are not visible
  • Like 3

If the full width film is still inside the cassette when you have attached the end to the takeup spool and loaded both spools into the camera then it sounds as if your reduced width leader is too long.

This is a picture from the 1931 Vith Leica handbook showing the correct position of the full width film coming out of the cassette when you are loading it into the camera.

I can understand why the film leader could be too long, because it wastes film, but not why that impacts on the film winding? Only perhaps if the length of the leader is so thin and floppy that it doesn't engage with the lower gear properly as you load it. Is the problem not the length of the leader you cut but the width of the cut, it only needs to miss the top gear teeth to work and no more.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

True…. From what I can see, if the trimmed end of film still resides in the film canister, it ‘catches’ and makes the film come out a bit askew, thus not aligning with gears. Hard to view since the back of camera doesn’t open up as in the M designs.

I went thru what I thought was an entire 36 roll, and then some…., so reround. But it only rerounded a turn or two. I knew from that that the leader never catched on gears. After some experimenting I came to this conclusion thru partial visual, dry runs etc. 

just wanted to have others verify. I think that illustration really hit the mark; visually

The key is knowing the length of the cut one makes to the film leader. Too much, and you have a problem like I had. I have heard anywhere from 15-20 notches in before you make that curved cut. I am thinking more like 15 notches as opposed to 20. When I get thru with this roll I will experiment with it. 

Edited by lmans
  • Like 1

The length of the leader sut is supposed to be enough that it goes just past the end of the pressure plate. That way the film only has to slip under the lower rail and under the first edge of the plate. Then the full width of the film slides in the film channel from the cassette end of the rails. If the leader isn't cut long enough part of the upper edge of the film can get caught by the top rail, and may not slip fully up in the film channel.

• Like 1

When loading the film in the camera look down at the spools before you put the bottom back on and watch the spools turning as you start to wind, having first taken up the slack in the cassette. Then you can be sure the film is loaded ok. It is easy to do with a modern cassette but a bit more difficult if you are using a FILCA cassette as the mouth is closed until you put the bottom on the camera. Then again take up the slack in the feed cassette and check again that the rewind knob is turning fully as you wind. If it doesn’t seem to be turning fully wind another frame and if you are not sure because the rewind knob is only making a slight movement then rewind and start again.

Even 70+ years later, we can RTFM. I load the Barnack cameras following the instructions in the IIIf manual, which I think are the clearest. See p27 and onwards here:

https://www.cameramanuals.org/leica_pdf/leica_if_iif_iiif.pdf

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/leica/leica_if_iif_iiif/leica_if_iif_iiif.htm

Here is the trimmed film leader diagram from p29. Note that there are 23 unpaired sprocket holes. I don't think your cut leader is too long, though it might not be the right width. I also round off the corners as shown, and cut cleanly between sprocket holes (never across them).

• Like 1

Yes, while the leader needs to be longer than it is on modern uncut films, the width is already about right, so you can just 'extend' it. With the film fitted in an ABLON trimming guide, you can see the existing short leader section is only a little wider than you'd get by cutting precisely to the template:

https://rrjphotography.wordpress.com/2016/05/04/leica-ablon-film-trimmer/

12 hours ago, Anbaric said:

Even 70+ years later, we can RTFM. I load the Barnack cameras following the instructions in the IIIf manual, which I think are the clearest. See p27 and onwards here:

https://www.cameramanuals.org/leica_pdf/leica_if_iif_iiif.pdf

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/leica/leica_if_iif_iiif/leica_if_iif_iiif.htm

Here is the trimmed film leader diagram from p29. Note that there are 23 unpaired sprocket holes. I don't think your cut leader is too long, though it might not be the right width. I also round off the corners as shown, and cut cleanly between sprocket holes (never across them).

This is the way I do it. I always cut freehand with scissors, though. I also check that the sprockets are engaging with the film and that film is turning on the spool before closing the base. Also, make sure that the film cassette is fully pushed in. Then there is the check on the rewind knob which should be moving as the film is wound on.

William 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jankap said:

Did not some users use a spacer? He does not use a Leica cassette.

I haven't had (or at least noticed) this problem, but some people have mentioned using washers or spacers to deal with sprocket holes intruding into the frame when using modern cassettes, which are slightly shorter than the FILCA:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/77659-sprocket-holes-clipping-frame/#comments

Edited by Anbaric