50mm Summilux ASPH vs. 50mm Summicron (v4 or v5)

bcapphoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having just bought a 50mm Summilux Asph for the first time in over 30 years of owning M's and many many lenses, I would NEVER swap it for a 50 'cron (of which I've owned several times but not currently), unless you really, really needed the $1000 or so it might net you. For one thing, the non tabbed lenses just don't handle as well imo, and the 50 'cron is not really all that smaller when said and done (if you want truly lighter and smaller then look for a modern 50 2.8 which is a truly under rated lens). 

• Like 1

excuse the phone pic (huawei Leica one) 

Yeah not so much bigger on the ruler, and a far smaller difference between 1.4 - 2.0 and 1.0 - 1.4

But the size difference is big enough to notice (both on MFD and with extended hoods to show worst case size differences)

Definitely more VF blockage with the Lux

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

M users discussing size differences and the SL guy shows up 😀

Definitely a tangible difference between the Cron and the Lux. I’ve heard from people who use both they take the Cron out more often because of that (and the weight) and the Lux is more a special use case. 

Edited by Leitz.
  • Haha 5

Sorry I didn't use a tripod....

shot at about 110cm (give or take) - each will have had the adobe lens profile applied during import

Light differences in left corner due to TV (I need to do this sort of thing on Monday when I have the house to myself)

Cron @ F2 

Lux @ F2 

Leica M10R Embedded profile, adjusted WB in second shot to same values as first shot

It's not really night and day in this highly Q&D test... 

Not shown but the Lux is better at F1.4 😅

IMO The lux is THE all rounder... small enough, fast enough, great IQ and tactile feel (NB after a Wetzlar CLA 😏)

I also have a CV 50/1 and what that extra stop gives me costs a LOT in terms of missed shots, size/weight and VF blockage

But also IMO, if one tends to be mid F-stop and be there, then the cron has a lot going for it. (see also 50 Summarit and as Charles says, the 50/2.8)

If I could only keep one of my fifties... lux all day long as it combines the best of both the CV (which according to Fred Miranda out performs the Noctilux 0.95 ASPH, in size/weight and IQ) and the cron.

However I can keep all three, and they all serve me in different ways. (The cron is my F8 and vacation lens, a jack of all trades and the flat field focus makes grab shots etc more attainable), the Lux is the reliable DOF option and the CV is the frivolous wide open monster one (to be fair it works well stopped down too, but I do feel that's rather defeating the object of owning it)

• Like 2

I assure you cron was f2!

Edited by Adam Bonn
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, Adam Bonn said:

I assure you cron was f2!

Yea I see that too. A little bit of softness. Little bit less contrast. But it’s not extreme at all. Just a bit softer. I like it. 

Thanks for these. Very helpful. 
Agreed on the Lux. Most people who own it always say it’s the best lens they have. Or one of them for sure. 

For what I do though, the Cron is perfect. Little gem. Like you say. Grab and go f4-f8 all day. 

Edited by Leitz.
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Leitz. said:

Yea I see that too. A little bit of softness. Little bit less contrast

Yeah Lux has more contrast and is slightly warmer IME

Softness here might be exasperated by lack of FLE in the cron (but IIRC that Lens Rental test showed that the Lux was a very sharp lens)

• Like 1

Off I go. Take some photos. One of the things I love about Summicrons. The size. M cameras love small lenses. The smaller the better I say. 

when I say I bit soft I mean. I just took this pic of my wife at f2. I can almost see the pattern on the contact lenses.. whereas with the APO-Lanthar I could count the lines on the pattern on the contacts. So we are into ridiculous nitpicking at this point 😀

Edited by Leitz.
  • Like 3

Thanks guys for posting those images.  I have the 50cron which I really like but still lusting after the summilux.  I'll get one someday when I find the right deal.  The summicron is a wonderful lens but the lux just adds a bit more detail and contrast with smooth out of focus background that adds to the 3d effect.  I can always reduce sharpness in post if needed but can't add what's not there to start with.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Adam Bonn said:

Sorry I didn't use a tripod....

shot at about 110cm (give or take) - each will have had the adobe lens profile applied during import

Light differences in left corner due to TV (I need to do this sort of thing on Monday when I have the house to myself)

Cron @ F2 

Lux @ F2 

Leica M10R Embedded profile, adjusted WB in second shot to same values as first shot

It's not really night and day in this highly Q&D test... 

Not shown but the Lux is better at F1.4 😅

IMO The lux is THE all rounder... small enough, fast enough, great IQ and tactile feel (NB after a Wetzlar CLA 😏)

I also have a CV 50/1 and what that extra stop gives me costs a LOT in terms of missed shots, size/weight and VF blockage

But also IMO, if one tends to be mid F-stop and be there, then the cron has a lot going for it. (see also 50 Summarit and as Charles says, the 50/2.8)

If I could only keep one of my fifties... lux all day long as it combines the best of both the CV (which according to Fred Miranda out performs the Noctilux 0.95 ASPH, in size/weight and IQ) and the cron.

However I can keep all three, and they all serve me in different ways. (The cron is my F8 and vacation lens, a jack of all trades and the flat field focus makes grab shots etc more attainable), the Lux is the reliable DOF option and the CV is the frivolous wide open monster one (to be fair it works well stopped down too, but I do feel that's rather defeating the object of owning it)

I think the focus accuracy might play a role here, look at the chair to the right which seems to be a bit behind the main subject, much sharper in the Summicron version, so maybe the focus is off a bit?

-Thomas

3 hours ago, trisberg said:

I think the focus accuracy might play a role here, look at the chair to the right which seems to be a bit behind the main subject, much sharper in the Summicron version, so maybe the focus is off a bit?

-Thomas

Tripod wasn’t used but EVF was so more likely a combination of camera positioning and also the difference caused by flat field plane of focus vs wavy

To me (OMWV) flat field focus is such a desirable trait in a rangefinder lens

The Lux is fantastic.  Double check that everything is in alignment, one should be able to nail focus consistently at f1.4… 

• Like 6

The Cron v5 is not soft as reported by some above unless you have an old copy out of alignment or it has haze. The v5 is outstandingly sharp wide open, but it is lower contrast with more subtle color than the Lux. Shots from the v5 can take a massive amount of saturation in post without falling apart, and it renders wonderfully on a Monochrom.

The obvious answer is you need both.

M10M + 50 Cron v5:

• Like 7

50 Cron v5 on the M10-P

Wide open at MFD:

Unique flare of the 50 Cron (top right corner):

Sharp at infinity across the frame (f/5.6 pictured):

• Like 7

hdmesa has captured everything I loved about the v5 above, helped by beautiful light and a great eye. When this lens works I want to jump inside the image! I feel the grasses in the vase and, to a lesser extent, the outdoor grasses would have looked better through the Lux ASPH though. OOF areas are almost getting nervous there and they hint at what the lens can do with busy backgrounds when it doesn't work out. Wonderful images though - I'd love to see a set with a Lux ASPH!

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, tedd said:

hdmesa has captured everything I loved about the v5 above, helped by beautiful light and a great eye. When this lens works I want to jump inside the image! I feel the grasses in the vase and, to a lesser extent, the outdoor grasses would have looked better through the Lux ASPH though. OOF areas are almost getting nervous there and they hint at what the lens can do with busy backgrounds when it doesn't work out. Wonderful images though - I'd love to see a set with a Lux ASPH!

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, the last two b&w outdoor shots from the previous post would have made more sense stopped down as they show the limitations of f/2 to isolate the plane of focus at that distance.

The Lux ASPH definitely has its own magic:

50 Lux BC -|- M10-R -|- f/1.4 -|- MFD

50 Lux BC -|- M10M -|- f/16 -|- infinity focus

50 Lux BC -|- M10M -|- f/1.4 -|- MFD

50 Lux BC -|- M10M -|- f/16 -|- infinity focus

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 8

I have a v5 Summicron, and a 50mm Summilux ASPH. I couldn't sell either lens, they're both great. Obviously the Summilux has that thing it can do at f1.4. Here's a photo at 1.4 on the 50 Summilux, taken on the M9M

• Like 7

• Like 3