50mm Summilux ASPH vs. 50mm Summicron (v4 or v5)

bcapphoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Question for y'all. 

I shoot with an M6 and M10 as well as a QP. I've got the 50mm Summilux ASPH that lives on my M-bodies, but I never shoot it wide open, mostly @ f/2 because I find f/1.4 is too tricky to nail with a rangefinder. 

Who's shot the 50mm Summicron variants next to the Lux ASPH? At f/2, how does the Summicron compare? I'm thinking of making the swap to save some money but also save the size of the kit. 

Curious about your input!

The Summicron-M 50 is a very nice lens on your M6, I used this combination a lot. On the digital bodies the flat glass surfaces of the lens tend to lead to unexpected flaring. I decide therefore for the opposite move, sold my Summicron and bought a Summilux!
If you want to go light and small, look at a used Summarit. They are excellent!

• Like 1

I think you'll regret it if you sell Leica lenses to save money. That was at least the case for a long time. Perhaps this is a bit outdated since the release of some recent Voigtlanders. But more to the point, the Summicron v5 is more flare prone than the v4, due mainly to the hood. The Summilux is hard to beat and, since you own the M6, I find it even nicer on film than on digital. It would be wiser to buy a v4 Summicron, find out if you like it and if you can live without the Summilux, you will save more money and have higher IQ in the end.

Edited by otto.f

Be sure your vision, camera and lens are properly adjusted.  I have no problem focusing with the Summilux ASPH after correcting for astigmatism and distance (via glasses and minor diopter correction) using various well-calibrated bodies based on the M10 platform.  I switched years ago from the 50 Summicron to the 50 Summilux ASPH, in part due to flare avoidance, as well as speed/rendering flexibility.

Jeff

• Like 3

I've had two v5 Cron's and found that they were both prone to focus shift (the second was new) between f2.8 and 5.6. I ended up living on either f2 or f8, depending on the look I was after or available light. I loved it at both of those apertures, but now I have a Lux ASPH I would struggle to go back. It is the better, more consistent lens in 99% of circumstances. I do sometimes miss the "magic" that the Mandler could deliver when the stars aligned, but not enough to buy another one and risk not having the ASPH on my camera when the Cron wouldn't work. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, bcapphoto said:

Who's shot the 50mm Summicron variants next to the Lux ASPH? At f/2, how does the Summicron compare?

Compared to Summicron 50/2 v4 or v5, the Summilux 50/1.4 asph has more acutance at full aperture and it is also sharper at edges and corners there. Not the best lens for gentle portraits then. At f/2.8 and on these differences tend to fade but the Summicron has a bit more focus shift at around f/4-f/5.6 which may give a feeling of relative softness to people with little experience of rangefinders. No problem in LV mode though.

I originally had the 50mm Summilux ASPH (some years ago) but have now moved to only pre-asph glass (apart from Noctilux 1.2), as I wastly prefer the older lens designs on digital (which I only shoot) for more character and lens clinical sharp look, as it suits my photography style and subject matter. But that’s just my opnion.

So, I prefer the 50mm Summicron (Mandler design) over the Karbe Summilux ASPH. The v4/v5 are great and I would point out, that my current fave is the 50 Summicron v3 - a true and very underrated gem in the Leica line-up.

The V3 and Noctilux 1.2 re-issue wouldbe my two keeper 50mm lenses, if I had to pick two - but I also own the v4. 😊

11 hours ago, Harout62 said:

I have both the Summilux Asph and a V4 Summicron 

the Summilux Asph is the one that I would hang on to, there is really no substitute 

Entirely agree.   I could only envisage replacing my Summilux Asph if Leica is revisiting the diaphragm (I don't like the ninja stars)

6 minutes ago, Lelmer said:

I could only envisage replacing my Summilux Asph if Leica is revisiting the diaphragm (I don't like the ninja stars)

I guess the next, rumored version will have a shorter MFD and a rounder diaphragm.

At least if they read this forum, where we constantly complain about this. 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lelmer said:

Entirely agree.   I could only envisage replacing my Summilux Asph if Leica is revisiting the diaphragm (I don't like the ninja stars)

Yup I agree , if they could design one just like the 35mm Fle2 it will be a winner.

Some how I have a feeling it will be coming with a EVF version of an M 

Edited by Harout62

21 hours ago, bcapphoto said:

Question for y'all. 

I shoot with an M6 and M10 as well as a QP. I've got the 50mm Summilux ASPH that lives on my M-bodies, but I never shoot it wide open, mostly @ f/2 because I find f/1.4 is too tricky to nail with a rangefinder. 

Who's shot the 50mm Summicron variants next to the Lux ASPH? At f/2, how does the Summicron compare? I'm thinking of making the swap to save some money but also save the size of the kit. 

Curious about your input!

I live with the Summicron for about a year now so these are my thoughts. 

Im not sure what you’re looking for at f2. Many people are obsessed with sharpness so I’m guessing you want to compare if it’s as “sharp” at f2. I’m going to assume that it isn’t. 

The Summicron is a legend. Someone here said something about focus shift. I bought the so called v5 brand new sealed in the box. I haven’t encountered any focus shift issues. 

In the end Ultimate sharpness and focus exactly to the millimeter is not what makes a great picture.

Basically the way the Cron behaves is that it’s soft and dreamy at f2, and it gets sharper and more contrast as you stop it down. So you get many looks out of 1 lens. 

The flaring issue isn’t something that affect me in every day use. I see it maybe in a couple of photos out of 100. You have to tilt the camera at a certain angle towards the sun to see it. I got used to pulling out the hood when I have the sun in front of me and I point up, that helps a little. 

It’s a non-issue for me. 

I’ve been thrilled with the lens. It’s small, compact, fun, easy to focus. And other than that occasional flare under those set of circumstances the lens has no issue to speak about really. 

I like it because I can get many looks out of 1 lens and it isn’t perfect at every aperture. It has character. Classic mandler lens. 

If you want perfection from f2 then this isn’t the lens for you. Keep the Summilux or get a Voigtlander 50f2 APO-Lanthar. This lens is basically perfect from f2 (albeit with some vignetting as it’s typical from Voigtlander), no flaring (I only saw it once a little bit and it was an extreme sort of scenario) and all at the cost of weight and size, but you’re used to the Summilux so that shouldn’t be a problem. The focusing and aperture feel premium like a fine Swiss watch. Also the aperture blades make a perfect circle as you close them. 

I felt it was too perfect and sharp for the images I want to make so I sold it and bought the Summicron and I stopped looking at 50mm lenses ever since. My Summicron is my buddy 😀

Edited by Leitz.
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, mcpallesen said:

that my current fave is the 50 Summicron v3

Yea that one has a different look from the v4 optics. People are so obsessed with perfection and sharpness and brick wall tests they forget all these lenses can give you so many great looks. 

Everyone is Christopher Frost Photography nowadays. 

2 hours ago, Leitz. said:

Yea that one has a different look from the v4 optics. People are so obsessed with perfection and sharpness and brick wall tests they forget all these lenses can give you so many great looks. 

Everyone is Christopher Frost Photography nowadays. 

Exactly 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻

22 minutes ago, bourne said:

If one is pleased with 35 cron, would they enjoy the 50 cron as much?

Depends if croncron, cronasph or cronapo :D

- 35/2 apo and 50/2 apo, i suspect yes but i have no experience with 35/2 apo

- 35/2 asph and 50/2 apo, yes

-35/2 asph and 50/2 v4 or v5, matter of tastes 

- 35/2 v4 and 50/2 v4 or v5, yes

Never owned 35 lux in any flavour!

cron 35 and 50 compliment each other nicely IMO

……

to expand on this

1 hour ago, Adam Bonn said:

By most yardsticks the lux is the superior optic IMO but the cron has a charm that I love

Probably just me but.. I sorta feel I’m cheating myself if I’m not shooting the lux at or close to wide open, whereas the cron is more my jack of all trades fifty, it’s tangibly lighter than the lux and also has a flat field of focus making off centre focusing (focus and recompose) a little friendlier with a rangefinder.

Also (again probably just me) I find I gravitate towards the cron more with the m9, I think they compliment each other nicely (not that the lux renders poorly on the m9 of course) and the lux more on the 10R

If the OP (or anyone else) cares and can wait a while (Monday maybe) I can shoot some stuff with the cron and lux and share the photos 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bourne said:

Would you compare the charm of the 35 cron to the 35 Lux in a similar way?  If one is pleased with 35 cron, would they enjoy the 50 cron as much?

Which 35 cron? Because the 35 Cron IV and the 50 Summicron v4/5 have the same dad. The way I hear people describe the KOB “King of Bokeh” 35f2 IV is the same thing I see with my 50 Cron. The Mandler lenses should compliment each other nicely. 

@Adam Bonn That’s the “charm” that I was looking for exactly after the perfect optics of the APO-Lanthar. It just hits the spot. It’s razor sharp when I need it to be, but nice and charming when I want that. It really is a keeper lens. Mandler was a genius. 

Edited by Leitz.