Any way to turn off the live view on the M11?

cozmopak

40 minutes ago, rustyrus said:

I set the button next to the shutter to toggle liveview on/off when I want it. 

That way its always off until I turn it on. Works perfect. You could set any other function button to achieve this as well. 

But is the shutter always open?  The shutter seems much more laggy than my M10p with LV off

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, cozmopak said:

But is the shutter always open?  The shutter seems much more laggy than my M10p with LV off

I don't have a M11. From what I remember others posting when the M11 launched, the shutter is not laggy, but the extended noise makes it sound as if it is. Apparently the shot is taken in the first moments of the button being pressed. Try shooting a stopwatch.

31 minutes ago, cozmopak said:

The shutter is always open, regardless of whether live view is on or off. It is used for metering. Yes, the shutter is slower and noisier compared to M10 because when you press the shutter, it closes, then (for the shot) opens then closes (shot is done), then opens again to meter for the next shot, instead of just open, close.

Edited by Qlan

32 minutes ago, cozmopak said:

According to Leica, the shutter lag difference between M11 and M10 is hardly perceptible (a few milliseconds longer). However, you may feel it takes longer because the shutter needs to open again after the shot.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, SrMi said:

According to Leica, the shutter lag difference between M11 and M10 is hardly perceptible (a few milliseconds longer). However, you may feel it takes longer because the shutter needs to open again after the shot.

Feels perceptibly longer.  I have missed a few shots that I would not have with an M10

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, cozmopak said:

Feels perceptibly longer.  I have missed a few shots that I would not have with an M10

I suspect some kind of user error, then. LV being on or off affect shutter lag only minimally as well.

Edit: Measurements here (YT link at 1:14:43).

Edited by SrMi
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, cozmopak said:

Hmm…perhaps.  But I cant change what I’m feeling 

The closest to "no shutter" is as @rustyrus also mentioned above, to use the small button to the right of the shutter release as LV activation. Then you have a "normal" camera, and when you press the small button, LV turns on, press it again and it zooms in. 

The case of M11 is that the shutter goes up at startup to use the sensor for light metering. And then LV is another matter on top of it. Either you get used to that "sticky feeling" of the shutter, or you don't.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cozmopak said:

Your perceptions are shared by others, myself included, irrespective of what Leica claims or measured by others.  It is longer, louder and annoying compared to the M10-P/R. We did, however, learn to live with it and love our M11s for all the other benefits it offers over the M10 series.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Overgaard said:

The closest to "no shutter" is as @rustyrus also mentioned above, to use the small button to the right of the shutter release as LV activation. Then you have a "normal" camera, and when you press the small button, LV turns on, press it again and it zooms in. 

The case of M11 is that the shutter goes up at startup to use the sensor for light metering. And then LV is another matter on top of it. Either you get used to that "sticky feeling" of the shutter, or you don't.  

Thank you! Also I enjoy your videos!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Overgaard said:

That small button beside shutter cannot zoom in in live view if you assign it to be LV activation. Pressing it just toggling the LV on and off.

You have to assign it to be focus aid, then it will activate LV and focus/zoom in at the same time. But you won't be able to turn off LV by pressing that button again. You have to use another button or from menu to turn off the LV.

I just simply don't use LV at all.

10 minutes ago, Warton said:

That small button beside shutter cannot zoom in in live view if you assign it to be LV activation. Pressing it just toggling the LV on and off.

You have to assign it to be focus aid, then it will activate LV and focus/zoom in at the same time. But you won't be able to turn off LV by pressing that button again. You have to use another button or from menu to turn off the LV.

I just simply don't use LV at all.

What do you use for lenses wider than 28mm?

12 hours ago, Warton said:

My widest is 28mm Summicron.

I don't have an urgent need to use anything wider than 28mm, in case I need it in the future and if I can find additional financial means I will get a visoflex then.

Also the live view is useful when shooting portraits in low light conditions or at night time..

23 hours ago, Warton said:

Press once, you have LV, then scroll the thumbs wheel to zoom 5x or 10x.

Next time you press the little button, it zooms in, press again and it zooms out. 

Sits in the fingers soon after you start using it. So much that when you grab another camera, you try to press the (missing) button to zoom in 🙂

Considerably faster than turning focus ring, wait for LV to zoom in, press shutter release lightly to get full frame again, take the photo. 

5 hours ago, Overgaard said:

Press once, you have LV, then scroll the thumbs wheel to zoom 5x or 10x.

Next time you press the little button, it zooms in, press again and it zooms out. 

Sits in the fingers soon after you start using it. So much that when you grab another camera, you try to press the (missing) button to zoom in 🙂

Considerably faster than turning focus ring, wait for LV to zoom in, press shutter release lightly to get full frame again, take the photo. 

What you described is the effect of assigning “focus aid” to that little button and I’m using it now. My biggest problem with it is I cannot turn off LV quickly by pressing that little button again.

again I try to avoid use LV as much as possible that’s why turning off LV quickly is more than important to me than zooming/focusing conveniently