Manually setting lens profiles on the M8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I accidently put this at the end of the battery thread, thought I'd ask out right. Is there a manual way to set a lens profile on the M8, I have looked and not found it, just general settings for lenses with visual settings. Anyway I have a Zeiss 18 f4 and in overcast weather it has noticeable blue vignetting. I have tried changing ISO which works somewhat, keeping the ISO to 160. I had heard that some folks use the 21 Elmarit f2.8 as a profile. Checked ACR and allit has is the 21 Super-Elmar f3.4 or the 18mm Super-Elmar, but not the Elmarit. Again these help slightly, the 21 being a little better than the 18. I guess I could get the mount changed, but I am not sure if that is possible on a Zeiss lens. Any suggestions?

Problem mostly solved, ACR has a profile for the Zeiss 18mm ZM. Here is my dog checking out the new snow, she is from Texas and this is her first Vermont winter, she does like snow. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The only way is to digitally encode your Zeiss for the Leica Elmarit 21 or any other Leica M lens that suits the Zeiss 18 F4. Of course this will make your EXIF data incorrect, but it will correct the image. This is one of the small imperfections of the M8 you have to live with along with the need for UV/IR filters.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb dpitt:

The only way is to digitally encode your Zeiss for the Leica Elmarit 21 or any other Leica M lens that suits the Zeiss 18 F4. Of course this will make your EXIF data incorrect, but it will correct the image. This is one of the small imperfections of the M8 you have to live with along with the need for UV/IR filters.

Finding that ACR had an 18 f4 ZM profile really helped, the Leica profiles didn't do much. Tried it with and without the UV/IR filter. My EXIF doesn't list my stock of older lenses anyway. I like the view of the 18 on the M8, didn'thave much of a problem on sunny days, snowy and overcast brings out the blue edges. 

What the M8 does in camera is not easy to reproduce in PP. 6-bit coded lenses are a must IMO for anything shorter than 50mm on the M8 and setting it right on M9 is too if the lens is not 6-bit coded.

Later M models are better on this point but it is still necessary to get the best results with wide angled lenses.

Edited by dpitt

• 2 weeks later...