zeiss or hex?

glowie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Leica nuts!

I'm looking for a 35mm lens for my M6 and i have narrowed it down to 2 lenses.

A brand new Zeiss Biogon 35mm f2 or a used good looking M-Hexanon 35mm at about the same price.

If you were to choose, which one would you pick up?

Thanks

glowie

I picked up the Zeiss. Almost went for the Hex, but the ZM was new and gets rave reviews. It might be a bit bigger - about the same size as my last version Summicron 50mm, so a perfectly fine size. The most attractive characteristic in my mind that popped up in reviews was that the ZM is extremely flare resistant.

I understand that there is a review of 35mm lenses on Sean Reid's website.

I bought a Voigtlander f2.5, which I've been very impressed with, until I have the spare cash to buy a Summicron or Summilux maybe. There is also the VC Nokton for a faster option.

Personally I think I'd rather have the VC or Leica as opposed to the Zeiss which is a little better than one but not as good as the other.

I have the ZM 35 and love its signature and flare resistance; in fact I sold both of my Leica 35s because the ZM 35 does it all for me and I felt it rather dragon-like for me to keep that much money tied up in one focal length as a hobbyist. When you consider that you can use it fine in most situations w/o a hood, it is actually quite compact. If you want to see images showing the comparisons between the ZM 35 and the Leica 35s and CV 35s, then check out the M-mount group on flickr.

Respectfully, Thomas

Although I find 35mm a difficult focal length on my M8, my Zeiss Biogon 2/35 lives on my M6 and is very happy there.

No personal experience wih the Hexanon, but I do know that the Zeiss is a great little lens. I have seen flare with it ... but that was shooting with the sun in the frame coming ove the top of a building. Otherwise nothing. Good resolution throughout the frame, too.

The Hexanon seems to have become collectible, which may have led to a slighlty inflated price? An advantage with the Zeiss is it is in current production and can be repaired and serviced. I suppose there may be a repairer somewhere for the Hexanon but getting parts may be an issue if its dropped or damaged. Looking at images of the lenses, the Hexanon looks smaller (shorter) which id prefer but the Zeiss is not exactly big. I'd probably go with the Zeiss here

I am waiting for the Summarits to arrive and may go for one of them instead of the Zeiss.

Kent, I'm just the opposite of you. I found 28 too wide for everyday use on my M8 - went to a 35 cron and instant happiness. I also like that it is the closest (with the crop factor) to my beloved 50 cron/M3 combo. Happy shooting :)

Hi John.

It really does seem to be a very personal thing. I have the Zeiss 25 on my M8 most of the time and find it pretty much ideal, although I think 28 would be good too. The 35 would always frustrate me by being just not wide enough. But strangely I'm perfectly happy with a 50 on the M8 for some things. And like I said I find a 35 perfect for film. Must have something to do with the way we visualize things mentally. Really interesting stuff!

Cheers.