M9 with corrosion: Best way to use it as is?

dpitt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am well acquainted with the issue and in luck that my M9 showed its corrosion just at the right time. It got a new sensor in 2016. Still corrosion free.

A friend of mine has one with starting corrosion. One big spot in a corner and like 20 all over that are still small. I would like to give her advice on which lenses to use and what to do to minimize need for cleanup in PP.

First thing I know is that when lenses are used wide open, the problem is much less(not) visible.  At the time I tested with a 50mm F2.0 and it did not show any of the quite severe spots on my M9.

My question is, if you compare a 50mm at F2.8 and a 28mm at F2.8, will they both have the same amount of visible spots ?
In other words I would like to advise her to use it with  a 28mm Elmarit and always use it wide open. But will this work as good as with a 50mm?

If I were advising someone about this, I'm afraid my suggestion would be that the camera needs to be replaced, or perhaps submitted to one of those third party services that attempts to remove and replace the corroded cover glass. I wouldn't see shooting wide open all the time to hide a large spot and 20 others as a practical solution unless there were no other choice (e.g. if a photographer were stuck with only one camera on a trip somewhere when the problem developed). If expense were the issue, I would suggest that a cheaper but functional system from some other manufacturer would be preferable to a defective Leica.

Edited by Anbaric

Just like with dust spots the visibility of corrosion spots not only depends on f-stop/depth of field but also on the texture and llightness of the area on the photo where these spots are located.

So my advice would not be a "fixed" wide open but only use these wide apertures when there are large / light / even areas in the frame, but for instance for a brick building or forest scene  without sky visible you might still not see spots using f8 with a 28 mm lens.

I think Leica doesn't offer the service anymore but Kolari still offers a replacement of the cover glass for around 1000 $ and they also sell the parts separately if you want to try a DIY job.

Other option would be (since I see you're located in Antwerp) is contact Will van Manen of Kamera Service in Zoetermeer to see if he can do this job (either with his own material or with a new coverglass you order from Kolari).

Edited by pegelli

@pegelli@jaapv@Anbaric Thanks for the suggestions. I was aware of the Kolari repair service. But it is not my camera. It is from an estate of her late husband. She is not a real photographer, let alone a RF shooter. Maybe she will manage with a 28mm on hyperfocal distance for some landscapes and such.  Also she is not into PP at all. I will have to find the easiest way possible.

And selling the camera is not an option. To many memories attached... It is going to be either used as a paper weight or in this simple way...

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 1

Actually the camera has been sitting in a box for the last 5 years. It is only just now she had the courage to sell some of his gear. But not this camera. I do not know if the corrosion was there 5 years ago, It would have been eligible for free replacement of the sensor back then.

Now I love to see a solution for the issue from Kolari and some others like ACS. They are both in the same price range. If I was in this position, the main thing that makes me hesitate is the fact that I already saw 2 M9's on ebay where the sensor repair has failed. Then you end up with a camera that will never be fixable or usable again. Of course both Kolari and ACS refund the repair fee and that is all they can do. This is fine if the M9 can't make any useful picture anymore, but in this case it might be good for a few years without the risk of breaking it completely. I know I used mine for a few months in 2016 with the corrosion before sending it to Leica and at the time I had their guarantee it would return in fully working condition in any case.

Edited by dpitt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It looks like it will be the paper weight option for a while, but the second limited use option is still a possibility for the future.

Now, I posted this question also for my own understanding of optics. Apart from the structure of the photo I am wondering what is the role of focal length on this issue.
Intuitively I think that since DOF is larger with 28mm vs 90mm at F2.0 it will also be larger at the focal plane (the sensor)?

This would mean that 28mm at F2.0 will reveal the spots in the same way F5.6 or more will to at 90mm? Or is it?
If that is the case, turning the M9 into a P&S camera for her will not be easy, because you want to go wide for large hyperfocal DOF and you want to go tele to minimize the corrosion spot visibility.

Does anyone have experience? Or maybe more optical know how than I do?

Edited by dpitt

Put into consideration that if the corrosion gets bigger and unrepairable it’ll become useless ‘memoir’ brick. Best way to send it in and see what they can do.

Apart from that, with some if not many unrepairable corroded M9, I’m very confident that Leica M9 survivor will be more highly appreciated in the future. 

• 3 months later...

Hi ... I have a M9 with corrosion problem. Do you have an idea if there is a service in Germany that might be able to fix it? I would use Kolari vision but it seems to be vwry complicated to send something for repair in the usa. Also taxes would be added on all cost. Thanks for ideas in advanced. 

• 2 months later...

To be positive ...

I have my M9 with corrosion also.

I don't want to trade-in for another current digital M, so I lend it to a friend.

He sent me night time pictures which get rid of the spots.

Where the spots are hiden in black background.

So well use the M9 can revive with some "rethinking/limited" use.

On 9/13/2023 at 1:02 PM, jaapv said:

One could have the cover glass replaced to turn the camera into an IR  full spectrum one, still usable for normal photography with an IR cut filter on the lens. 
https://irrecams.de/en/

AFAIK there are no IR focus shift markings on Leica M lenses (maybe on other M mount brands?). How to compensate for the IR focusing shift?

• 3 weeks later...