Street Portrait No. 14 - My New Hat

David Cantor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

3 hours ago, jankap said:

I missed or cannot remember the numbers 1 to 13. The lens, the f-stop, etc, that were used, would interest me.

Hello Jankap

Here is the meta data showing the information.  I have been a member here for only a short time and it should be possible to track back to the others in the series under the  'People' category.  

PS I like to crop my images to a 5:4 aspect ratio if possible.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by David Cantor
PS added

52 minutes ago, jankap said:

Thank you, 35mm f/1.4. Porträt without much cropping. A nice format, I seldom use other than 3:2, 4:3.

Several years ago, I was privileged to attend a weekend workshop with a photographer named Giles Duley.  He is an amazing photographer and an even more amazing human being, well worth investigating.  Giles described 5:4 as his favourite format for portraiture and that has stayed with me. I also use a 4:3 camera and prefer that to 3:2 ratio, perhaps the latter requires more skill?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

29 minutes ago, David Cantor said:

Several years ago, I was privileged to attend a weekend workshop with a photographer named Giles Duley.  He is an amazing photographer and an even more amazing human being, well worth investigating.  Giles described 5:4 as his favourite format for portraiture and that has stayed with me. I also use a 4:3 camera and prefer that to 3:2 ratio, perhaps the latter requires more skill?

I almost always crop my portrait-orientation portrait shots to 5x4 (the traditional showbiz 10x8 print).
I'm another fan of Giles Duley.
And, now that I have looked at your website, I remember where I heard your name before - that great Taylor-Wessing portrait!

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I almost always crop my portrait-orientation portrait shots to 5x4 (the traditional showbiz 10x8 print).
And, now that I have looked at your website, I remember where I heard your name before - that great Taylor-Wessing portrait!

Thanks Paul, that time spent with Giles, his endurance and humanity is permanently etched in my memory.  That TW portrait continues to give, only two weeks ago Taylor Wessing said that they will pay the vast amount of £100 to hang it in their San Francisco office, apparently it has been on the wall in their London office for some time.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

An afterthought Paul given your interest in 8 x 10.  During lockdown, my main discovery was a photographer who uses such a camera.  Lovely guy and very interesting, his name is Robert Kalman - much to commend:    https://www.robertkalmanweb.com

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, David Cantor said:

An afterthought Paul given your interest in 8 x 10.  During lockdown, my main discovery was a photographer who uses such a camera.  Lovely guy and very interesting, his name is Robert Kalman - much to commend:    https://www.robertkalmanweb.com

Thank you - and thank you for the link to Robert Kalman. I started large format 4x5 in lockdown. I've only done a couple of portraits (the rest are landscape/streetscape), but I must try to do some more.