Getting first Leica M from Ebay....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

Dealer prices aren't necessarily more expensive, either.

My feeling is that often dealer prices can be lower because the dealer grades secondhand equipment and prices accordingly. Some of the descriptions on ebay are 'vague' about condition or even worse. Sellers obviously let 'the market decide', above their bottom line anyway, and this would be fine if you could actually handle a check out a camera, but buying blind means that it is all about trusting the seller, and some sellers are rather less straight about the items they sell than others. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wildcolugoman said:

This is getting interesting. I'm getting valuable info from real M5 users encountering real issues (but of course, this is a user forum!)

In as much as I would like to own a Leica M5, it seems there are inherent risks to consider.

Advice so far points to narrowing search to (low risk to high risk):

1. CLA'd with documentation 3-lug variant at 134xxxxxx, 135xxxxxxx onwards.

2. Non CLA'd 3 lug variant. If it ain't broken, no need to fix it. Otherwise send for CLA after purchasing.

Now for #1, if the CLA involved shutter curtain replacement and voltage modification together with the usual cleaning, lube and adjustments, would that be a safe bet to say it's 'good as new' which would probably last another (more than a) few years?

Not as good as new, but 1 is better choice for sure.

23 minutes ago, madNbad said:

What shops are still working on the M5? I thought DAG sent a message he was no longer accepting them?

Interesting. I must have missed something in the last few years... What has changed that the M5 is not serviceable anymore? It was always more difficult compared to a M2. Equal or harder than M3...

M5 is a tremendous camera. It shouldn't feel loose in operation. Aim for a three lug version. Apparently all the bugs were worked out by the time that version came out. And don't worry about it being difficult to repair. Alan Starkie did a CLA on my M5, and he said it's basically an M4 in a fat suit. You can even swap the back door with an M2/3/4. It's the same camera inside.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, colint544 said:

M5 is a tremendous camera. It shouldn't feel loose in operation. Aim for a three lug version. Apparently all the bugs were worked out by the time that version came out. And don't worry about it being difficult to repair. Alan Starkie did a CLA on my M5, and he said it's basically an M4 in a fat suit. You can even swap the back door with an M2/3/4. It's the same camera inside.

Was that recently? One of Alan's pages suggests they don't currently work on them (not sure if it's up to date):

https://www.cameraworks-uk.com/camera-repairs-and-servicing

Edited by Anbaric

33 minutes ago, dpitt said:

Interesting. I must have missed something in the last few years... What has changed that the M5 is not serviceable anymore? It was always more difficult compared to a M2. Equal or harder than M3...

An M5 can be serviced with a CLA, but that isn’t the same as being repaired which may require parts that are no longer available.

46 minutes ago, 250swb said:

An M5 can be serviced with a CLA, but that isn’t the same as being repaired which may require parts that are no longer available.

Thanks. This means I will look out for a beaten up M5 as a parts donor 🙂

2 hours ago, Anbaric said:

Was that recently? One of Alan's pages suggests they don't currently work on them (not sure if it's up to date):

https://www.cameraworks-uk.com/camera-repairs-and-servicing

Ah, that's a shame. It was probably three or four years ago. I contacted him to ask if he could repair the battery chamber contact because it had snapped off. He said post it to him and he'd see what he could do. He ended up repurposing one from a 1970's Leica SL, and he did a CLA while he had the camera. He re-silvered the thin strip at the bottom edge of the rangefinder window, and even replaced the two missing bump stops on the back door.

He did have the camera for several months, but his emails were very detailed and helpful. I think he's very busy. Great guy, clearly passionate about what he does.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madNbad said:

What shops are still working on the M5? I thought DAG sent a message he was no longer accepting them?

reddotcamera.  Apparently.  A user on FM had his serviced there, and they repaired his light leak.  He is in the Light lens Lab thread and posted a bunch of Elcan pics

3 hours ago, Anbaric said:

I often see Sherry Krauter in the US mentioned. In the UK, it looks like Newton Ellis do (or used to - haven't seen a recent report either way).

She bolloxed my M5, got all defensive when I asked her about it and DAG had to repair her work.

3 hours ago, colint544 said:

.. Alan Starkie did a CLA on my M5, and he said it's basically an M4 in a fat suit. You can even swap the back door with an M2/3/4. It's the same camera inside.

I'm not sure how it can be, seeing it has the spot metering system, the different VF with exposure readouts, the ISO dial on the top , completely different film rewind mechanism , has a hot shoe etc

You can swap the back doors - I just did it!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Huss said:

reddotcamera.  Apparently.  A user on FM had his serviced there, and they repaired his light leak.  He is in the Light lens Lab thread and posted a bunch of Elcan pics

Huss, was it Jadon Rosario in Oregon who did the work or was it the UK Red Dot Cameras?

I don’t think I would take a punt on an M camera from a private seller on ebay.  If you do, only choose sellers that accept returns, have 100% rating and a track record of selling high end photographic equipment.

Many of the well known used Leica dealers ship internationally.  I have had good experience from The Classic Camera in London and Meister Camera in Germany.  I have never bought from Red Dot but they have a good reputation so likely a safe bet.