How often does your M8 stick?

M6J

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In India and once.

At the end of a long day of shooting and as the battery dropped to one bar.

I was shooting and leaving the camera on, after 10 minutes or so lifted the camera up to frame and focus and the shutter release didn't respond. A fresh battery took care of it, but it scared the heck out of me.

Jordan, was your battery fully charged?

Fully charged Jeff, 3 bars.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tummydoc
It is 3198xxx which is actually more recent than the early 3329xxx batches and one of the last of the pre-raise M8's, so it has nothing to do with it IMHO.

What facts do you possess to support the assertion that your 3198xxx is "actually more recent" than the "early" 3329xxx? Do you have some document from Solms indicating the day it was produced? Or are you simply making an assumption based on when it arrived at your stockist? Leica have for decades assigned batches of serial numbers to production "runs", and whilst the numbering within each batch isn't necessarily chronological due to parallel lines of final assembly, there is ample fact to support the assertion that the batches themselves are chronological. Do look at the serial # tables in any of the Hove Leica guide-books, or those on cameraquest.com. Whilst Leica have not volunteered batch numbers in recent years, there has been clear proof that the policy continues. Three distinct batches of the Leica R8 have been chronicled, as an example. IMHO regardless of when your M8 was delivered to your stockist, or in fact when it physically left the factory, it was produced prior to #3329001.

What I would like to know from anyone with a serial# above 32xxxxx if theirs has suffered any catastrophic (meaning, requiring return to Leica) problems, other than from damage. So far several dozen people I've spoken with who have those high-batch-number M8s have not.

What facts do you possess to support the assertion that your 3198xxx is "actually more recent" than the "early" 3329xxx? Do you have some document from Solms indicating the day it was produced? Or are you simply making an assumption based on when it arrived at your stockist? Leica have for decades assigned batches of serial numbers to production "runs", and whilst the numbering within each batch isn't necessarily chronological due to parallel lines of final assembly, there is ample fact to support the assertion that the batches themselves are chronological. Do look at the serial # tables in any of the Hove Leica guide-books, or those on cameraquest.com. Whilst Leica have not volunteered batch numbers in recent years, there has been clear proof that the policy continues. Three distinct batches of the Leica R8 have been chronicled, as an example. IMHO regardless of when your M8 was delivered to your stockist, or in fact when it physically left the factory, it was produced prior to #3329001.

What I would like to know from anyone with a serial# above 32xxxxx if theirs has suffered any catastrophic (meaning, requiring return to Leica) problems, other than from damage. So far several dozen people I've spoken with who have those high-batch-number M8s have not.

Vinay, there are some older threads about serial numbers and when they were bought from each forum member.

For what is worth, in a few words based only on what our forum members wrote and keeping in mind that this list was done on August 2007 so it is already outdated:

There was no serial beggining with 32xxxxx as in August 2007.

Most were 3100-3111 (November 2006 to August 2007)

Some 319X-3195-3197 (June to August 2007, in EU and USA)

Some 332X-3329 (March to August 2007, in EU and as replacement only in USA)

So, it looks like 3 numberings run parallely as in August 2007.

As I said, this data was good to the end of August. I bought my camera on September 11 -it had just arrived from Solms- serial 3198xxx. There was no sign of 3198XXX before September 2007, the 3329XXX numbering first appeared on March 2007, so there is a good chance that some 3329XXX are earlier than 3198XXX.

Nothing is sure of course, we just make some thoughts here.

I don't bloody care if my 3198XXX is earlier than a 3329XXX or not and I don't think it is of any use to me either, but since you asked I give this information in case it could be of some help to you or some other fellow member. :)

Only once in China, and I believe it was even my fault. I smuggled in the camera but not ended up using it inside my secret pocket of my vest. But I forgot to turned off the camera. Three hours later we came out and I wanted to use the camera and it locked up. Popped the battery out and put a freshly charged battery in and it was working again :). Later on, I discovered that the camera took some 20+ long exposures of blank images. On long exposures, like in excess of 5-10 secs or so, the camera automatically applies some kind of noise filtering process. Apparently those long exposures and the subsequent noise filtering process was enough to drain the battery completely. So, in reality, mine hasn't locked up by itself yet and I hope I won't experience that. Knock, knock, knock.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

my m8 serial number 3101XXX has done it maybe five times. my new one 3228XXX has done this twice to me and my lovely fiancee reported a few incidents as well with this body.

i could be the exception that proves the rule "timmydoc" but I doubt it. strangely i still grab the november body even though it hasn't had the sensor board replaced yet, why? i guess Im starting to have a bond with that body just like my other heavily used leica cameras. ps..why are you obsessed with trying to prove that the earlier m8 are flawed? buyers remorse? planning a lawsuit? dude-free yourself! obsessions cause ULCERS mate. oh yeah-you already know that.

Regularly. A light press on the shutter brings it to life within a couple of seconds.

Clive,

What the OP was referring to is a situation when the camera won't come back alive after doing that It locks up, even after turning the camera off and on again.

Guest tummydoc
ps..why are you obsessed with trying to prove that the earlier m8 are flawed? buyers remorse? planning a lawsuit? dude-free yourself! obsessions cause ULCERS mate. oh yeah-you already know that.

First of all I'm not trying to prove anything, I'm trying to deduce something. And it isn't if the earlier ones are flawed--we already know they are--but rather if the later ones have been improved. Glass half full mate.

hearing you say "glass half full" is a riot. you are the most antagonistic, and relentlessly negative person I have encountered here in years, and there have been some pretty colorful folks here. of course thats to be expected, I've seen your rants on the other forums as well....Brad

Guest tummydoc
hearing you say "glass half full" is a riot. you are the most antagonistic, and relentlessly negative person I have encountered here in years, and there have been some pretty colorful folks here. of course thats to be expected, I've seen your rants on the other forums as well....Brad

Do you ever contribute anything to the site content, other than personal attacks?

Regularly. A light press on the shutter brings it to life within a couple of seconds.

That's not a lock-up, that's the "I need to wake the camera up out of a sleep cycle" issue. I believe it's working as designed, though every now and then it takes too long to wake up...

The lock-up requires a battery removal and reboot. It's not fatal.

I have had one Extreme 3 SD card go south on me to the point where it will lock the camera (and FWIW and FYI, putting an M8 SD card into a DMR and hitting "play" will lock the DMR, which is not exactly what I'd call elegant design, but still....)

• 1 year later...

Now... Lately -- More Often with latest firmware than in 22 Months, and 4-6 iterations of Firmware past.

Recent Average Lock-up 1 in 250 fames. Silver M8.

This one is on it's way to Leica NJ for repair on "half Image" Loss. Wherein Top half of the image is written to the card, and bottom shows up as blank Gray Null space. 10% of captures.

Trying not to be negative, My View, " Unacceptable Performance" overall for a Pro Camera.

Happiness is a Warm M7.

Cheers

Max

Never - 2 bodies, one from first week of November 2006 one from January 2007. About 16.000 shots. I sometimes forget to take off the lenscap and it goes into noisereduction mode - or I forget to switch it off and it goes into the bag and drains the battery. Can't blame the camera for that....