How often does your M8 stick?

M6J

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I mean when after a shot it just doesn't do anything else, not even turns off with the on-off switch, reviving only after removing the battery and putting it back again.

It happened to me twice today in a 70 shot walk with a friend. I felt like an idiot... :mad:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happens occasionally to me. The only time it was obviously repeatable was when an SD card was having trouble. The camera doesn't appear to tolerate card issues gracefully.

I've had a couple of different side-effects show up. On one occasion I got an entirely grey screen with a single darker grey 'bar' rising partway up from the bottom of the screen. The red disk activity light flashes continously, the off switch is ineffective, menu buttons don't always work. It might all be due to SD card errors - but the infrequency and absense of any useful error message makes that difficult to determine.

Seems like flaky firmware to me, just not handling error conditions gracefully. Presumably they will eventually work out how to reproduce them in the factoryand consequently they will get fixed.

Making a button combination work as a hard reboot would be a nice workaround, so that we could avoid having to eject the battery to reset the camera - assuming that the buttons were still effective of course.

I went to the trouble of figuring out how to reproduce a metering issue I was having, got no response from Leica at all - so I can't be bothered doing their QA for them on this one ;)

All in all - it's not the worst problem. To paraphrase Winogrand - 'there are no pictures when I'm changing batteries' - or in this case, pretending to change batteries.

David.

Happened to me for the very first time today. Never happened before, but it was weird--it just stuck. Metering didn't work, had to remove the battery and reboot. And then it was fine again.

That's the first time though in many, many thousands of shots. I wish I could remember what, exactly, I did, but I didn't really notice anything different.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i think it has to do with the card and with rapid-succession shooting. i'm using transcend 4G/150x cards and have had very good luck with them, except when i shoot multiple frames quickly. i have always kept the switch on 'single' and not 'continuous,' so i wouldn't know whether that makes a difference or not.

it's happened to me maybe three times lately, but i shoot hundreds of frames without problems. certainly it's been a big hassle, but not a fatal problem.

not yet, anway. i'm heading to mexico monday to continue my day-of-the-dead project (http://photojournale.bladepicturecompany.com/categories.php?cat_id=63), so i'll let you know how it goes...

-skippy

I've shot 8k images in the past six months and I cannot remember my camera locking up. It may have happened, but not often enough to make an impression on me.

My Windows XP Pro SP2 computers, well that's another story.

BTW, I've been using Transcend 4GB cards and after market batteries made in China by child slaves.

Guest tummydoc
I mean when after a shot it just doesn't do anything else, not even turns off with the on-off switch, reviving only after removing the battery and putting it back again.

It happened to me twice today in a 70 shot walk with a friend. I felt like an idiot... :mad:

It hasn't happened to me, but that isn't to say it can't or won't. I'm curious, is your serial number less than 3,200,000? I've been in contact with a number (greater than 10 but less than 100) of M8 owners with serial numbers above that, and aside from the known bugs such as the wacky AWB, venetian-blind LCD, crazy scrolling etc, so far none has mentioned having any crashes, lockups, shut-downs or shutter failures. Yet.

It's happened to me about 5 times in some 9,000 shots. I use a Transcend 4GB card but I very rarely shoot continuously and I only remember filling the buffer once. It happened to me twice on the same day too but there's no pattern that I can see.

Pete.

its happened to me a few times and everything else i own with a microprocessor has done similar things. can't imagine why it would be embarrasing to someone if their camera locks up?! big deal mate. and I've heard people lamenting the chance of missing that "precious" shot...come on man your missing thousands of shots sitting on this forum. welcome to the world of computers and electronics. of course there is always the MP and ughhh....scanning...Brad

its happened to me a few times and everything else i own with a microprocessor has done similar things. can't imagine why it would be embarrasing to someone if their camera locks up?! big deal mate. and I've heard people lamenting the chance of missing that "precious" shot...come on man your missing thousands of shots sitting on this forum. welcome to the world of computers and electronics. of course there is always the MP and ughhh....scanning...Brad

I am not saying this because I lost any shots... I just said I felt like an idiot.

My Nikons have electronics too (actually more complicated electronics than M8 has), but they have never failed. Never!

It hasn't happened to me, but that isn't to say it can't or won't. I'm curious, is your serial number less than 3,200,000? I've been in contact with a number (greater than 10 but less than 100) of M8 owners with serial numbers above that, and aside from the known bugs such as the wacky AWB, venetian-blind LCD, crazy scrolling etc, so far none has mentioned having any crashes, lockups, shut-downs or shutter failures. Yet.

It is 3198xxx which is actually more recent than the early 3329xxx batches and one of the last of the pre-raise M8's, so it has nothing to do with it IMHO.

Mine's 3109xxx. It locked up twice, maybe three times, in the first few weeks but not in the last few months (touch wood). Each time, removing and replacing the battery fixed it. I suspected at the time it was provoked by my pressing too many buttons on the back while the camera was writing data to the card, but never got round to testing because I assumed it would be fixed in firmware before long.

In India and once.

At the end of a long day of shooting and as the battery dropped to one bar.

I was shooting and leaving the camera on, after 10 minutes or so lifted the camera up to frame and focus and the shutter release didn't respond. A fresh battery took care of it, but it scared the heck out of me.

Jordan, was your battery fully charged?

Happens now and again on two bodies - sometimes once in a fortnight, sometimes five times a day. One body is on its way to Solms for this and other reasons.

I've experienced that idiot-feeling, too. Normally, you buy expensive pro-stuff because what you want most is reliability...

Never had anything like this happen before with any other camera, ever.