Stain on pictures from a Leica M9

M6bigletter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and happy to be here. Please provide feedback as some of the pictures taken from my Leica M9 has the strange orange "stain" on the lower right hand side of the frame. Some background info that might be helpful:

• I have had this camera for almost 2 years now and just recently developed this problem in the last 2 months.
  • The camera has the updated CCD sensor replaced by Leica a few years ago. It is the ID15 one. It is clean and without any damage. 
  • Shutter count is about 30,000 to 40,000 so not really that much given the life of the shutter. 
  • I have been testing a couple of lens such as the 50mm Summicron and 40mm M-Rokkor and same problem occur regardless of which lens I have on. I always have lens filter on but I doubt it is the filter related as some pictures are okay.
  • The problems tend to happen at around f5.6 and beyond. No issues at f2, f2.8 and f4. 
  • I find the issues only occur when I am shooting outdoor.
  • Testing environment was outdoor on a cloudy day without any strong sunlight.
  • Sometimes the stain is small and at times it can be quite severe.

I don't think it is dust particles and I hope it isn't the sensor issue. Thanks for your help.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by M6bigletter

What happens if you take some test shots under controlled conditions? You could set up the camera on a tripod with the filter off the lens and shoot a blank wall or test target at various apertures, shutter speeds and ISO settings with no question of your shots being affected by a finger intruding into the frame, or flare from a light source just outside it.

• Like 2

It does look very much like something getting in the way of the lens/light path. The usual culprits are fingers or camera straps or 'wrong' hoods/filters, but could also be something like a scarf.

Easy enough to shoot some test images ensuring that there's nothing in the way. I would say it's unlikely to to be a filter as it's only on one edge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, earleygallery said:

It does look very much like something getting in the way of the lens/light path. The usual culprits are fingers or camera straps or 'wrong' hoods/filters, but could also be something like a scarf.

Easy enough to shoot some test images ensuring that there's nothing in the way. I would say it's unlikely to to be a filter as it's only on one edge.

Thank you. Totally agreed. 

Three things I have done:

Could be one of those bulky Peak Design strap anchors which I switched to recently. Maybe it got into the way without even noticing. I have since switched back to my trusty simple Gordy’s strap so hopefully this solves the problem. 

Though unlikely to be the filter, I have switched to a black Kenko filter which previously I had a silver one on. Doubt the silver finish could bounce off light into the sensor or lens but let’s get rid of another possible culprit. 

I also noticed some dirt on the front glass of my ‘cron which upon testing some shots the location of the dirt happen to be close to where the stain on the pictures have been so I also cleaned it up and hopefully another outlier out of the way. 

Been testing shots and have been done almost 300 + uninspiring shots and so far the problem hasn’t occurred yet. Hope this is it. It’s been frustrating. :( 

Thank you everyone for your inputs and really appreciate it. :) 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by M6bigletter
  • Like 1

Its something getting in the way. Its easily done on an M bacause you can't see much of the lens from the viewfinder and from what you've said its most ikely the strap. I very occasionally get similar problems but because I'm aware of it being all too possible I tend to be careful. Nothing to do with camera, lens, nor filter. That spec of whatever it is on the lens will probably remove using a soft (painter's sable) brush if you are very careful. The M9 is a great camera, I really like using mine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pgk said:

Its something getting in the way. Its easily done on an M bacause you can't see much of the lens from the viewfinder and from what you've said its most ikely the strap. I very occasionally get similar problems but because I'm aware of it being all too possible I tend to be careful. Nothing to do with camera, lens, nor filter. That spec of whatever it is on the lens will probably remove using a soft (painter's sable) brush if you are very careful. The M9 is a great camera, I really like using mine.

Yea totally agreed. Don’t want to blame the PD archors but that’s mostly the issue and with a simple leather strap like the Gordy’s I think the problem is resolved. Tested again and hasn’t come back so I am happy. It’s a silly thing to post here and thank you for all of your patience with me. The lens is also now cleaned too with some cleaning effort but kind of scary to clean an expensive lens. 

I have been using the M9 for almost 2 years and it’s the only one I use and thus now more than 40,000 shutter counts. There are tons of limitations but it’s sure fun to use. Once you get everything right it produces images which no other cameras can. Hope it lasts for a long time and as long as it works I don’t plan on upgrading it. 

• Like 2

Definitely something in front of the lens, if not fingers directly a big glove if it's cold, a strap, scarf flapping in the wind etc. It's not the lens, or dirt, or the sensor, but the solution is totally photographer based. So have you given in yet or do you want somebody else to tell you? 😆

• Haha 1

There is always slack on the strap when you raise the camera to your eye. Habitually, I stroke the strap with my right hand, thereby confining the strap to the right side of the camera. This avoids any part of it getting in shot..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 250swb said:

Definitely something in front of the lens, if not fingers directly a big glove if it's cold, a strap, scarf flapping in the wind etc. It's not the lens, or dirt, or the sensor, but the solution is totally photographer based. So have you given in yet or do you want somebody else to tell you? 😆

Yep I figured it was my strap which this never happened with my old one. I feel so silly but happy to figure it out. 😂

4 hours ago, wda said:

There is always slack on the strap when you raise the camera to your eye. Habitually, I stroke the strap with my right hand, thereby confining the strap to the right side of the camera. This avoids any part of it getting in shot..

That’s a great idea. Will definitely give this a try. Thanks.