Survey Price Structure

Sandokan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The most ridiculous questions I have been asked. Designed by a fresh graduate? 

If the response is limited to camera starting at $7200 which is not of good quality, at which price point does the manufacturer think they should start building a quality product?

Edited by Sandokan
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Sandokan said:

If the response is limited to camera starting at $7200 which is not of good quality, at which price point does the manufacturer think they should start building a quality product?

I have the same reservations/remarks. Tried the 3 languages of the survey and gave up. In the German part of the forum is already a 6 page thread https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/367057-kommentar-zur-umfrage-preisgestaltung-leica/#comments 

Best

I saw this as less of a survey and more of a notification of upcoming product releases and their likely retail prices. If that is true, then one must ask what was the purpose? Does the butcher ask the pig its opinion before making the bacon?

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Tom R said:

I saw this as less of a survey and more of a notification of upcoming product releases and their likely retail prices. If that is true, then one must ask what was the purpose? Does the butcher ask the pig its opinion before making the bacon?

Ha.  All at or above the top price limit for each camera. The survey also demanded a reply for a price sensitive purchase where I wanted to say I wasn’t interested in the camera regardless of price.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sandokan said:

so the M11Mono with the freeze feature is $7200..? ;)

Edited by frame-it

I thought the survey was just a way to discover the pain threshold felt by Leica owners when they contemplate buying a new piece of equipment. The results will be fed into a computer and a ticker tape will spew out telling Leica they still have some unused tolerance left in their pricing structure so it's OK to go ahead with a price increase in April.

• Haha 4

I started the survey, but then backed-out, when it became non-applicable to me. To be truly truly accurate, without “spin,” a survey really needs to provide more choices, such “none of the above” or “not applicable.” In this survey, it might have have been nice to be able to indicated that I would choose a different Leica camera.

In my case, I simply cannot justify buying a Q-series camera, at any realistic price point. I rarely use the 28mm lenses that I have, so, am simply not going to buy a camera that only offers a permanently-attached 28mm lens. Cropping to 35mm or 50mm is not something I would want to do, and a Q cannot “zoom-out” to 21mm. 

I have completed the revised survey. It still seems daft, and I seriously hope Leica will not base any future product and marketing decisions on the results.

• I own more than one camera, and I paid different amounts for them
  • I already own some of the products, so the question of what I might pay for them doesn't arise.
  • I have no interest in buying some of the products, so price would make no difference to my buying decisions, however cheap.
  • Neither brand nor price are my first considerations when buying a camera or lens. Functionality and performance count for more.

This reads like a school survey project by the child of a friend of Herr Kaufmann.

• Haha 1

On 2/19/2023 at 10:35 PM, Sandokan said:

If any of my students had designed such a dreadful survey instrument, (s)he would never have reached graduate status!  Clearly produced by someone with no understanding of the principles of questionnaire design and with a predetermined outcome in mind it is most certainly not fit for purpose. Others have listed many of its most glaring shortcomings, but there are many more.

Edited by Wolfs head

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I have completed the revised survey. It still seems daft, and I seriously hope Leica will not base any future product and marketing decisions on the results.

• I own more than one camera, and I paid different amounts for them
  • I already own some of the products, so the question of what I might pay for them doesn't arise.
  • I have no interest in buying some of the products, so price would make no difference to my buying decisions, however cheap.
  • Neither brand nor price are my first considerations when buying a camera or lens. Functionality and performance count for more.

This reads like a school survey project by the child of a friend of Herr Kaufmann.

Paul, you are more or less repeating what I said last week, except that I pitched the 'child' at post grad level🎓. Is there a revised survey and should I do a 'once more into the breach'? Wilson has a saying about not getting 'time back', which may apply here.

William 

• Like 1