New S3 owner

Milan_S

• 3 months later...

I acquired a brand new S3 at a really nice price to complement my S2.  My experience is still limited but I love the accuracy and neutrality of the color and the detail, which keeps on par with the S2 despite the almost duplicated resolution. Camera shake is more obvious than with the S2. This particular image, for instance, taken at 1/60th with the 70 mm needed shake correction. At 1/125th it is ok but still some very minor blurriness can be appreciated at 100%. So either higher shutter speeds and ISO, or tripod.  But so far, really happy with it. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

On 6/12/2023 at 5:03 PM, irenedp said:

I acquired a brand new S3 at a really nice price to complement my S2.  My experience is still limited but I love the accuracy and neutrality of the color and the detail, which keeps on par with the S2 despite the almost duplicated resolution. Camera shake is more obvious than with the S2. This particular image, for instance, taken at 1/60th with the 70 mm needed shake correction. At 1/125th it is ok but still some very minor blurriness can be appreciated at 100%. So either higher shutter speeds and ISO, or tripod.  But so far, really happy with it. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

When using S3 hand held, avoid 1/60 and 1/125 shutter speeds. Depending on the lens you use, motion blur may occur (even with the mirror in locked-up position).

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Irenedp,  Congratulations on your new S3.  Its a superb S camera and IMO best in class for color and of course the excellent S lenses.  I used the S system for my business for over a decade.  It always delivered in spades in all types of tough environments.  I agree with Helged's above post #43.  The key for the S cameras is usually triple the shutter speed for whatever lens you are using.  Mainly due to mirror slap if the shutter speed is set low.  Of course, I always used the S cameras on a robust tripod with mirror up, AF off.  The resulting photographs the I created for my clients were stunning.  One of the best aspects of the S cameras are the OVF, what you see, is what you get.  I am certain the S4 will be stellar when it arrives on scene in 2025.  r/ Mark

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LeicaR10 said:

Irenedp,  Congratulations on your new S3.  Its a superb S camera and IMO best in class for color and of course the excellent S lenses.  I used the S system for my business for over a decade.  It always delivered in spades in all types of tough environments.  I agree with Helged's above post #43.  The key for the S cameras is usually triple the shutter speed for whatever lens you are using.  Mainly due to mirror slap if the shutter speed is set low.  Of course, I always used the S cameras on a robust tripod with mirror up, AF off.  The resulting photographs the I created for my clients were stunning.  One of the best aspects of the S cameras are the OVF, what you see, is what you get.  I am certain the S4 will be stellar when it arrives on scene in 2025.  r/ Mark

Thank you for your nice remarks!  Yes, I tend to shoot in mirror up mode, but it is still early days with the S3. I think it can be used handheld in many situations, both outdoors and on location. I always carry a tripod in the car just in case, and in the studio I shoot with a pretty heavy tripod and the camera tethered.