Brand new Leica MP w/ light meter issue

On 3/18/2023 at 6:44 PM, RobW0 said:

One thing to remember is that if the camera is not in the off position it only takes a slight pressure on the shutter release to trigger the meter. I had a battery drain fast once. I believe it was because the speed selector was not in the off position with the camera in a case. I think there was enough pressure on the shutter release to keep the meter on and drain the battery.

yes I agree That's always possible and I will look at that, but I use both cameras in avery similar fashion as far as carrying and packing them and the older black one doesn't have this battery problem. Many thanks,

46 minutes ago, edwardtadros said:

yes I agree That's always possible and I will look at that, but I use both cameras in avery similar fashion as far as carrying and packing them and the older black one doesn't have this battery problem. Many thanks,

No, problem. Just so you know mine is about as old as it gets with a serial number starting with 2880***.

6 hours ago, edwardtadros said:

Maybe do a controlled test. How fast does your M6 battery drain when the shutter speed dial is not on "off"? (how many days?) 

If you're not shooting for awhile and know how to use a volt meter, put a brand new battery in the M6 and the MP at the same time. Do NOT switch it to OFF and let them sit on a shelf for a week or two (depending on how many days or weeks ur M6 drains based on your history). After some time has passed, test both of the M bodies and see if the batteries are still alive. There will be 3 or potentially 4 ways how it could play out...

Scenario 1: If M6 dies, then you know your M6 has a problem.

Scenario 2: If both dies, then you know its normal.

Scenario 3: If both alive, then test with volt meter if you want to see if both batteries are equal voltages. (perhaps more sensitive shutter button vs MP)

Scenario 4: MP dies and M6 is alive... then you are being trolled by your M6.

On 3/19/2023 at 10:11 PM, RobW0 said:

No, problem. Just so you know mine is about as old as it gets with a serial number starting with 2880***.

On 3/19/2023 at 10:11 PM, RobW0 said:

ahh, mine is 2881......!

• 3 weeks later...

And now out of 12 new M6’s sold 9 reported to having scratched film. 

A disgrace of a company for their QC and their customer service. 

Hey we have to take your new camera back for 3 months to fix it due to no stock and our useless technicians… but you are more than welcome to a refund if you don’t like our work policies… but isn’t the new M6 amazing!! 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perhaps a useless data point being an older camera, but- I purchased a mint black paint MP from Leica Soho NY last week. Spotless and perfect body paint except for a bastard dust speck right in the middle of the RF!

I can’t say how long they’d had it in the stock room but they didn’t replace the stacked batteries which had corroded a bit (is a 498xx SN so maybe over 5 years old?) yet the light meter still worked. It was not stored in the bulb off position when we tested at in the shop. I swiftly swapped the battery once purchased after marveling that the light meter still worked with the nasty old ones.