Brand new Leica MP w/ light meter issue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Internet forum failure threads are unreliable evidence to support a buy/do not buy decision. 

Human nature is what it is, so it is inevitable that someone looking for reassurance will gravitate to failure threads and not the 'I like my MP/MA/M6' threads.

My experience is that a new MP is 100% likely to be fully working and fault-free. But I've bought only one. 😉

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Internet forum failure threads are unreliable evidence to support a buy/do not buy decision. 

That is absolutely true - buy/not buy decisions should always be personal and not biased on forums, but such posts here are very very valuable to highlight the issues one might encounter after he/she/it/them decides to buy via free will.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've posted this here several times over several years, but Leica should re-evaluate how their customer service response to new-product defects.  Upon verification of defect, immediately give the customer a replacement.  If the defect is systemic, instruct the dealer to give the customer a full refund and a coupon to get 5% off if and when he decides to purchase in the future.  

Buying customers left in limbo for weeks is shameful.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RayD28 said:

I've posted this here several times over several years, but Leica should re-evaluate how their customer service response to new-product defects.  Upon verification of defect, immediately give the customer a replacement.  If the defect is systemic, instruct the dealer to give the customer a full refund and a coupon to get 5% off if and when he decides to purchase in the future.  

Buying customers left in limbo for weeks is shameful.  

That’s really what it comes down to.  Let’s say the chance of getting a defective brand new camera is 0.01%.  But if it does happen, Leica should do the right thing and just exchange it.  But they don’t.  They think acceptable customer service is to hang onto this brand new camera for months while trying to fix it.

That is completely unacceptable and yet what Leica does.

• Like 5

I have received 2 new MPs in the last few months but never thought to check the meter issue, just the film scratching problems which thankfully I don't have.  If I don't use my M11, then it won't ever have the freezing up issue, right? 😀

• Haha 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, ymc226 said:

I have received 2 new MPs in the last few months but never thought to check the meter issue, just the film scratching problems which thankfully I don't have.  If I don't use my M11, then it won't ever have the freezing up issue, right? 😀

With the garbage quality control now a days, I would run a test roll and check for EVERYTHING (even for light leaks, shutter capping, uneven frame spacing). My brand M-A from early 2022 appeared normal but it did not have the “post whirling”/“clock work winding down” sound after firing the shutter speed at 1 second. After playing around with it, the “post whirling” sound only appeared with the rear film door open. I sent it back for a replacement as I believed the slower speeds were inaccurate (did not even bother developing my test roll that I shot on it).

Edited by 69xchange

2 hours ago, 69xchange said:

With the garbage quality control now a days, I would run a test roll and check for EVERYTHING (even for light leaks, shutter capping, uneven frame spacing). My brand M-A from early 2022 appeared normal but it did not have the “post whirling”/“clock work winding down” sound after firing the shutter speed at 1 second. After playing around with it, the “post whirling” sound only appeared with the rear film door open. I sent it back for a replacement as I believed the slower speeds were inaccurate (did not even bother developing my test roll that I shot on it).

Unless the whirling noise was particularly loud, it’s actually normal. Someone asked about that a few years back and I checked all my cameras. Sure enough, all the slower speeds from 1/15 (I think?) to 1 produced that sound. It was consistent across all my bodies from the 1959 M2 to 1999 M6 ttl. 

43 minutes ago, plaidshirts said:

Unless the whirling noise was particularly loud, it’s actually normal. Someone asked about that a few years back and I checked all my cameras. Sure enough, all the slower speeds from 1/15 (I think?) to 1 produced that sound. It was consistent across all my bodies from the 1959 M2 to 1999 M6 ttl. 

The problem was my M-A didn’t have the “whirling/clock work” at 1/2 or 1 second. 

At 1/15 and 1/30 it should be a ball bearing bounce and that’s normal. Then 1/2 second and 1 second is the orgasmic whirling sound. 

Edited by 69xchange

6 hours ago, 69xchange said:

The problem was my M-A didn’t have the “whirling/clock work” at 1/2 or 1 second. 

At 1/15 and 1/30 it should be a ball bearing bounce and that’s normal. Then 1/2 second and 1 second is the orgasmic whirling sound. 

Ah, I misread your post. That IS strange.

On 2/14/2023 at 5:56 PM, 69xchange said:

My brand new Leica MP (aug 2022 production) seems to have light metering issues.

when shutter is cocked/ advanced, the light meter comes on as normal, however after pressing the shutter button and firing the shot, the light meter remains on (uncocked) for a good 15 second and can be reactivated while the shutter is uncocked by half pressing shutter button.

I don’t think this is normal as I read the manual it it states light meter can only be activated when shutter speed is on any speed other than bulb/off and when the shutter is cocked..

Want to trade? The auto-off drives me crazy with my MP. Consider it a free à la carte feature you didn't ask for 🙂

You might try removing the battery for a few minutes then reinserting.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Want to trade? The auto-off drives me crazy with my MP. Consider it a free à la carte feature you didn't ask for 🙂

You might try removing the battery for a few minutes then reinserting.

I already had it exchanged by Alex @ Rangefinder HK. Bought a few Leica's from him in the past and hands down, he has the best customer service! 

Unlike some Leica authorized dealers in Canada.... *ahem* TheCameraStore & Downtown Cameras.. These two dealers lost my trust and my business.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 12:03 AM, 69xchange said:

This is so frustrating.. for a $5000 USD camera, they sure are cutting a lot of corners and just blindly signing the "inspection" card. I think we really need to voice our concerns over to Leica because they cant just keep getting away with this non-existence quality products.

Like seriously, I get these are hand built, but maybe at least have a check list in order for stages of inspection like checking light meter, checking film scratching???!??? We also really need to shame these so called "experienced professionals" and perhaps Leica brand itself. 

3 M-A's I received all returns and reboxed with cards signed off as if they were factory sealed. Viewfinder on each full of dust. 5K cameras built by technicians that have no care for QC. Refunded 16K of an order and emailed head office 4 times for a resolution and to voice my concerns as a new user. Not one reply. Disgraceful service.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, edwardtadros said:

the light meter works ok on my MP but it eats batteries. I have two MPs and the older one keeps the battery going for months. any thoughts?

Do you use a soft release?  

Do the meter lights in the VF turn off after you take a pic, or after 15 sec?

Do the meter lights turn on even if the shutter is not cocked?

Do the meter lights turn off when you turn the shutter speed dial to off?

12 hours ago, Huss said:

Do you use a soft release?  

Do the meter lights in the VF turn off after you take a pic, or after 15 sec?

Do the meter lights turn on even if the shutter is not cocked?

Do the meter lights turn off when you turn the shutter speed dial to off?

no I only use the standard button the camera 

the meter lights in the VF turn off immediately

the lights only turn on when the shutter is cocked

lights go off when the shutter dial is turned to off

when I complained to the Leica store where  I bought the camera they said I  should just always turn the dial to off everytime I finish taking shots. Maybe they are correct but that is not always easy to remember when you're busy and  besides in my other MP the batteries last for far longer without the shutter dial turned to off.

not the end of the world but very irritating!

One thing to remember is that if the camera is not in the off position it only takes a slight pressure on the shutter release to trigger the meter. I had a battery drain fast once. I believe it was because the speed selector was not in the off position with the camera in a case. I think there was enough pressure on the shutter release to keep the meter on and drain the battery.

• Like 1